Cycling Honours

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I have been cycling for 67 years and served British Cycle Manufacturers for most of this time and a johnny come lately arrives , wins a few races and gets a Knighthood . Where have I gone wrong ?

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Sir Bradley, yes it has a nice ring to it..........well deserved for a true 'clean' sportsman who has raised the profile of cycling to an unprecedented level in the uk.......like his sense of humour too.........

we need role models like this guy.......sheer grit and determination to achieve what he has over a long period of time...........well done wiggo.......
regards

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have been cycling for 67 years and served British Cycle Manufacturers for most of this time and a johnny come lately arrives , wins a few races and gets a Knighthood . Where have I gone wrong ?
You haven't gone wrong, just think of the honours hassle, trip to MossBros to hire an outfit, travel to the Palace, then all the rigmarole surrounding that.

Just visit a few shops and showrooms, order taxis etc and you'll get loads of people calling you Sir.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
we need role models like this guy.......sheer grit and determination to achieve what he has over a long period of time...........well done wiggo.......
regards
Well said! You've summed it up very well.
Congratulations Sir Bradley!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Arise, Sir Muttonchops.
While I was entirely unimpressed with the first Sirdoms handed out for sporting achievements, there are some that are well-earned. Grudgingly, Hoy; Wiggins for sure.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
You haven't gone wrong, just think of the honours hassle, trip to MossBros to hire an outfit, travel to the Palace, then all the rigmarole surrounding that.

Just visit a few shops and showrooms, order taxis etc and you'll get loads of people calling you Sir.
Oh yes, and all the paperwork...changing your credit/debit card name,Utility bills, Club memberships....the list is endless........Sir....:)
Well done Sir Wiggo....

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Yep well done Sir Bradley

Not forgetting Dame Sarah Storey and Sir Ben Ainsley who IMHO have shown even more determination and grit over a far longer period.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Lets all hope Sir Bradley does not become another Lance Armstrong for the sake of the sport and cycling in general.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lets all hope Sir Bradley does not become another Lance Armstrong for the sake of the sport and cycling in general.
I'm quite sure he won't, he's already made it clear that he resents being far from home and family for such as these Tours. His ambition is tempered by sound common sense and a realisation of the truly important things in life.

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Whilst Bradley deserved the honour, I do feel that Steve Redgrave was more deserving.
Seems my iPhone agrees as it auto filled his name :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The key for that award to Bradley was the Tour de France win, no Briton ever having won it previously in it's plus 100 years.

The least earned of all the knighthoods has to be that of Bernard Hogan-Howe, the title is automatically given to anyone becoming the the Metropolitan Commissioner of Police, regardless of subsequent performance.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
The key for that award to Bradley was the Tour de France win, no Briton ever having won it previously in it's plus 100 years.
Plus 4 golds a silver and a couple of bronzes over 12 years at the Olympics and a fair few other achievements. He has had to work hard for a long time to get where he is now with a Tour as you say being the final tipping point.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
the title is automatically given to anyone becoming the the Metropolitan Commissioner of Police, regardless of subsequent performance.
... and not forgetting the late Jimmy Saville ... and then there's Elton John ... unfortunately the whole system has lost all credibility.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
... and not forgetting the late Jimmy Saville ... and then there's Elton John ... unfortunately the whole system has lost all credibility.
Hind sight is a wonderful thing. Honours list isnt perfect and probably has never been nor ever will be but its the only way we have to recognise those felt deserving. Im sure a better system could be thought of but by the time government had played around with it it would almost certainly be more of a pigs ear than what we have now.