Cycling in the Rain!!!

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
In bad weather I cycle regularly in a cheap pair of mid high Karrimor walking boots which stay waterproof for maybe a year or so, I also spray them with nikwax every now and then.
I do like those boots Damian links to above though. May have to try some when my karrimor's start letting water in again.
The main thing I've found is to ensure the waterproof overtrousers are long enough to not ride up over the top of the boots and lets water run straight in.
Which pair, the first one? That's the pair I'm thinking about too!

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
A front mudguard with a proper, deep - but slightly naff looking - mudflap will keep your shoes all but dry.

By deep, I mean a mudflap that extends to within a few inches of ground level.
That's what I'm after, but cause the Woosh has no holes by the hub to attach traditional mudguard stays my options are limited.

I'm considering this pair:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zefal-No-Mud-Front-Or-Rear-MTB-Mountain-Bike-26-Wheel-Mudguard-In-Black-/201499779034?hash=item2eea529fda:g:s0EAAOSwT~9WkH~W

but they don't reach down as far as I'd like!

Maybe the waterproof boots and the waterproof trousers I bought will negate the need for a mudguard!

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
I've just ordered a set in yellow, so I can use in slightly darker conditions. It said posts Wordwide and didn't seeny UK exlusion.
upload_2017-10-6_12-56-31.png

This might be another case of NI not being part of the UK when its inconvenient for me! There is another debate happening on the NI Registration thread!

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
That's what I'm after, but cause the Woosh has no holes by the hub to attach traditional mudguard stays my options are limited.
I'm pretty sure it was @d8veh who mentioned clips like these in another thread.

Just seen these Stay Eyelets too.

I'm using these SKS Velo on my 26" wheels. They may need the optional optional extra stays, especially if you go off road, but the front on mine hangs perfectly without any other fittings exept the top that goes through the single hole above the wheel on the forks. I've added a vinyl flap on the front to make them even more effective.

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
View attachment 21582

This might be another case of NI not being part of the UK when its inconvenient for me! There is another debate happening on the NI Registration thread!

`Item location: Shenzhen, China

Postage to: United Kingdom

Excludes: Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Northern Ireland, Scilly Isles, Scottish Highlands, Scottish Islands`

• Dislike
Reactions: Wheel-E

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013

I'm considering this pair:

but they don't reach down as far as I'd like!
I recently got these mudguards for my 26" wheeled bike and they are full length although you would need those clips Wheel-E mentions. Not sure on the wheel size of your bike so worth checking 26" mudgards will fit.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
In bad weather I cycle regularly in a cheap pair of mid high Karrimor walking boots which stay waterproof for maybe a year or so, I also spray them with nikwax every now and then.
I do like those boots Damian links to above though. May have to try some when my karrimor's start letting water in again.
The main thing I've found is to ensure the waterproof overtrousers are long enough to not ride up over the top of the boots and lets water run straight in.
I wear gaiters over walking boots pretty much all the time now
https://www.tiso.com/tiso-trma-1132635/trek-mates-cairngorm-gtx-black-tiso-trma-1132635
they bridge the gap between trousers and boots and keep trousers off the chainwheel.
I've had several pairs over the years and find Gortex worth while, they stay dry on the inside.
Dave.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: Damian.Doherty

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I have a pair of gortex trousers got them from a army outlet shop, I was out last Sunday did 27 miles in the rain and they are fab and you can pick them up from about £15.00

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union