Cyclist age

What age group are you in?

• Total voters

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Sorry, I'll stop posting soon I promise!

I'm wondering how old electric bike owners are. My wife thinks they're all old/fat people who are too lazy to cycle a 'real' bike. So here's a poll (if I can work out how to create one).

oobs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2006
Yep, I am over 30 and have a beer belly. I probably could get fit and ride a conventional bike but I like to drink beer and ride an electric bike. I haven't seen any young electric bikers, ever!

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
Life begins at..... :)

I selected the 51 to 50 as I presume you meant 41 to 50 !

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice one Aron! My status results from retiring at 54 since when I've steadily got younger, so you have that to look forward to.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
54, wow! By time I retire there won't be a retirement age!

Nice one Aron! My status results from retiring at 54 since when I've steadily got younger, so you have that to look forward to.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes Jed, I do feel considerable sympathy for today's workers. My lot were the luckiest ones, life started badly with WW2 around us, but then just got continuously better and better, with social improvements, continuous stable employment and high enough inflation to get some degree of financial independence and the chance of early retirement.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
I think by the time I reach 68 or whatever the current age is, they'll have moved the goalposts again or scrapped it entirely. Someone's got to pay for all those government pensiions ;)

thanks
Jed

susie

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2006

I'm wondering how old electric bike owners are. My wife thinks they're all old/fat people who are too lazy to cycle a 'real' bike. So here's a poll (if I can work out how to create one).
Hi! I am 57 and my husband is 70. Our eze torqs are getting us back into cycling again after 30+ yrs of non cycling. Each day I find I can use the motor less. A great fun way to see the countryside here in Scotland . Good luck with your poll.

Quicken

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2006
I'm in the 20-30 year old group. I am pretty fit and currently ride a 'real' bike for leisure and fitness. My only real reason for getting an electric is that I'm due to start a regular commute (8 miles each way) in the spring, and I don't want to arrive sweaty. I haven't bought yet, and it looks like the choice will be between the torq, and the new twist at the moment.

Cheers,
Q

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi
all i will be 50 this year and have been cycling on and off for a few years between cars and motorbikes got in to electric bikes about a year ago and hope in august 08 to finnish with car for good and just have 2 electric bikes that will do for me no tax no insurance no petrol yipee:D nigel. southampton.

painter

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 5, 2007

painter is 73 going strong with help from torq flecc and and all the tips on pedelec thanks to all

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
two more 50 or over and we will be ahead of the youngsters, god did i say that, there is a 25 year old in this 58 year old body, but the trouble is its only me that knows it,
does the age result up to now mean the older we are the more open we are to new ideas, or does it mean we are more knackered.
this quote may be wrong but

we dont stop playing with toys because we grow old
we grow old because we stop playing with toys.

mike

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
You only get old on the outside

now 52 and entering my third childhood, i've been cycling for over 45 years, i still use my 2 non-powered bikes, i have a Alan Dural which has served me faithfully for the past quarter century and a hybrid commuter, but for my 'daily' ride i now use my whirlwind, it's chunky and as comfortable as an old pair of boots.

beeps

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
I assume life ceases at 50 then??? :mad:

That probably lumps a fair percentage of users into the geriatric compartment!!

Hit him Flecc!!!:D

Sav