Cyclomatic

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I rode it to the shops and then an extended route home up the steep bits just for fun. It takes the sharpish 5% inclines without trouble and proved OK for 10% when tried.

I reckon the Cyclamatic can be made to go faster then the Kalkhoff I tried. Throttle plus pedalling.

Back brake is unnerving as it locks. Front brake squeaks.I the squeaks come because the cable are not loose and I might be able to recifiy this. Cables enclosed in a sheaf. Not sure if I use a handlebar bag with it? I would want to for my camera.

I usually don't bother using an ebike for the shops as locking it up takes longer.

For newcomers, I stress just how important the throttle is. Still I've no idea I can go before the battery runs out of juice?

Also, back wheel nut for the back wheel was on very tight and I don't fancy a puncture.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Cyclamatic did 14.5 miles on the flat today (from a full charge) before running out of juice 100 yards from home (100 yards with the wind behind me).

Last edited:

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Make sure your tyre pressures are correct at about 65 psi and yours brakes are not fouling the wheel.
Also was that on throttle only or with peddling?

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Make sure your tyre pressures are correct at about 65 psi and yours brakes are not fouling the wheel.
Also was that on throttle only or with peddling?
Pedallling always. Throttle used when pulling away after frequent stops for traffic.Two miles with minimal assistance. I would not even rely on ten miles. All flat though. Half against a steady Force 4 exposed coast.

Last edited:

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Last edited:
Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Cost more than the bike, but a good idea. These might be available cheaper in the future? I can wait until summer, but 14 miles isn't really very far.

I'lll will need to sort out the puncture possible problems for longer trips as well.

Meanwhile, I replaced my pedal bike with a secondhand one for longer trips. Its light weight (13 kg instead of 21 kg) is a bit like having a motor.

At first I envisaged carrying two batteries, but not so. I would tend to want two for 40+ miles including hills.

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Latest ride on a fully charged battery was 9.5 miles. A bit hilly though 50% of the way.

Mar 9, 2016
Well there is a bit of disagreement in that... The b40 was a single 350, a slower bike never existed, as a kid I had one as a field bike..could run it on parafin once hot !!!
Wallace,s bike ( or the working model of it) was a 500...now it might have been a bored out 400 but suspect it was a twin ???
( only me and you could argue about Wallace and Gromit)
They did have a knit o matic tho..
I,ll watch it tonight and see if its a twin or a single in film !!!

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a single and it's a B40. The only non-standard part was the petrol tank nicked from a Tiger Cub and painted to match.

Reactions: electrickery
Mar 9, 2016
wp_ss_20160511_0003.png wp_ss_20160511_0004.png

The real life one based on a 500...he should have used a b40...

But point conceded...apart from fact real one was made of plastercine...

Last edited:

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
the b40 wasn't made till 1961..was unit construction as is wallaces in above picture. Ive owned every permutation of this bike--cub,c15,b40.b44,b50, over the years ..had a lot of fun with them. I now own a burgman 400. Just a little smoother !!!! and you can get 56 cans of beer in the storage as shown by a guy on you tube. Happy days .
regards

D

Deleted member 4366

I had C15 (first bike) Tiger Cub (second bike), Starfire and B40. I still have a RGS replica at the back of my garage that I built from scratch.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
I had C15 (first bike) Tiger Cub (second bike), Starfire and B40. I still have a RGS replica at the back of my garage that I built from scratch.
rgs rep sounds really nice . Also had bsa and triumph twins, a guzzi monza and even a Kawasaki w650... a "british" twin but with total reliability. These days as I said the burgman.. so practical and really relaxing to ride ( twist and go) and despite what some might think handles really nicely through the twisties..
regards

Mar 9, 2016
I borrowed an mp3 LT 300 . (One of those leaning trike scooter things) Not that quick but front end grip and security was unbelievable.. I,d have one anyday. Might even get the 500 ..
Feels odd sitting there at lights with feet up !! Great fun tho..

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
16% incline seemed about the limit with pedalling in the lowest gear. Struggled, but I cannot do this incline (after a quarter mile 10%) under pedal power alone. 9.5 miles is not nearly enough. Needs 30 miles hilly really. That means if somewhere is say 12 miles away, I can get there and back. 16% is fairly common as well.

D

Deleted member 4366

16% incline seemed about the limit with pedalling in the lowest gear. Struggled, but I cannot do this incline (after a quarter mile 10%) under pedal power alone. 9.5 miles is not nearly enough. Needs 30 miles hilly really. That means if somewhere is say 12 miles away, I can get there and back. 16% is fairly common as well.
Yup. Definitely needs to be beastified. 16% in top gear without pedalling is possible on a Beastamatic.

Reactions: Fordulike