Cyclone Bikes in the UK

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The photos you posted show a remarkable similarity to the TGA Electrobike first produced 25 years ago and was still on sale a few months ago. The right-angled worm gearbox and motor were made by EMD and although efficient for their type, were less efficient than involute gears due to sliding friction compared to the rolling contact of the involute gears.

Dave
TGA have sadly finally packed in making their bikes and trikes and now concentrate only on the mobility carriage sector. A pity, they were the oldest e-bikes in continuous production in the world.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Tiberius,
Forgive me, being genuinely dyslexic I missed the meaning of your post, spelling checkers tend not to work inwards.
My amanuensis (these 50+ years) catches Most things outwards.

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marks four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.......etc......Taken From

Spelling Problems

flecc,
I unearthed the rather grubby Elecrobike manual a few weeks ago. A pity as you say, I missed one on eBay recently, given a Lifeo4 battery it would have been a good back-up for the Gitane.

Dissleksik Dave :eek:

Boby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2008
Gentlemen,

My link for VisforVoltage did not work for any mysterious reason. So I copied the eLation inventor’s letter below. This is the message of Sat, 05/12/2007:

Hi Guys, Sorry, long time no see. Been busy on next version of eLation and suppose I have been a bit of a "rock spider", watching but not inputing to forum. New designs and updates are moving smoothly and feedback from buyers has be awesome.
Wrapped in "free design" concept but have to buy in here and say 'come on'. Had few people now let me know of this mob bike-elektro-antrieb.ch elektrofahrzeuge e-mountainbike elektroantrieb Kona ebike evelo ecycle elektrovelo elektrofahrrad Mountainbike Mountain Bike Rider Freerider Helio elektrozweirad ebikeenergybike e-velo ebike e-cycle electro bicycle e-scooter e and have also contacted them myself stating the "obvious". Conviently they "released" their product 1 month after we appeared on television. They also appear to have prbolems understanding English (yeah right). Bottom line is, makes you wonder? Since I have contacted them they have 'done the right thing' and advised Aussies to contact me (no where else), but it is hardly fair they are getting recogntion on a reputable site such as Visforvoltage.
I am all for evoltuion but is copying really valid. I spent a LOT of dollars creating the finer points of the eLation. I have patented and registered the design. Can I DEFEND it? NO of course not I do not have the money to waste. I am small time and unless guys like you help defend designs (yours and mine) we will all be chewed up. I want to survive as a business, but I also want to support this vital industry. If you let the clones get credibility and will never get there.
I will leave it to you good people to decide if I have a case. Either way i will continue to design and operate in the background for the betterment of the industry (and truthfullly my business too). New mount, crank system and motor sizes coming soon. Best to all, Woody
alland@elationebikes.com.au
www.elationeebikes.com.au

I think that the question of Cyclone or eLation patents is beyond consumers’ interest. In fact there can be many patents for various versions of the same idea.

From my point of view Cyclone kit produces to large additional chain rolling resistance (in one-chain-version) and its chainring looks dramatically cheap. Moreover, the replacement of my original 52T chainring with a 44T Cyclone one would make the bike undergeared (which is irrational if you add electric assistance to ride faster). eLation looks better made (but Allan says is not for foldings).

Both Cyclone and eLation have two freewheels. Next week I will probably see something similar to eLation. General description - Bimoto - power assist bicycles.

The inventor says it works better than eLation since both freewheels are in crank (assuming that I understood him). If you ride without the motor assistance the motor chain does not move (contrary to eLation version – as he pointed out – where both chains move in similar situation).

He invented the drive (and patented it) for Honda engines and now works on adaptation of his drive to electric motors. Motor will be placed just in the front of the crank - like in eLation or Cyclone (some versions).

Attachments

Boby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2008
TGA electrobike picture is great. Everything was already invented years ago.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Miles,

Thank you for the link.
As it is normal to protect an invention only in the areas of the intended markets there are often conflicts.
Anyone want to purchase 48% of a revolutionary new Rolling Diaphragm Seal patent?
Or one for a High Speed Hardfacing System?
No?

Boby,
I do believe that those who denigrate the TGA Electrobike have not had experience of a new one and the ones offered for sale in good condition command respectable prices.

Dave

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

I have seen a cyclone on my way home today, the lady stopped at the traffic lights when I was in my van I could not believe my eye.

thx
bob