Cytronex Cannondale Synapse 2009 (190rpm)

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Reviewer: eTim

Purchased From: No-Hills Winchester

Purchase Price: £2000

Time Owned: 8 months

Local Terrain: Flat / Moderate Hills / Very Hilly

All the above

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:

Standard Cannondale Synapse Flat Bar Tiagra with Cytronex additions
Lightweight (15.5Kg with one battery, additional battery adds 2.1Kg)
Looks like a 'normal bicycle'
Convertible - Can be used as a normal bicycle with battery removed and front wheel changed
Fast and easy to pedal when the battery runs out, easy freewheel.
Little noise.
Triple gearset provides low gears for good uphill assistance (14%)
Lightweight battery, fast charge 1.5 hours
Built for speed on road only
Easy to use 2 power settings
Robust controls
Can be serviced by local LBS
Cannondale Lifetime warranty on frame
Good support from No-hills
The kit could be moved from one bicycle to another if the donor bike is suitable.

Weaknesses:

Controls can be fiddly sometimes with gloves on (minor niggle).
Not easy to see if motor is switched on in bright sunshine as LED indicator does not shine bright enough.
The controller is discreetly located under the bottom bracket, this has furred up on the outside as Aluminium does with winter salt, so recommend protection with ACF50 or similar.
Price.

Summary:
The Synapse is aimed at the person that wants assistance but also want to put effort into their cycling, it is also aimed at the fit or unfit rider that wants to travel short distance with full assist (15 miles*). It is also aimed at the rider that wants to blend in a bit more with 'normal' bikes and someone who also needs a light ebike for transporting/getting up stairs/maneuvering around the garage etc.

It is also aimed at the person that has an eye on the future when he/she will be fit enough to want to ride the bike without assistance by removing the battery and motor (by changing the front wheel for a standard wheel). This is a great commuting/leisure/fitness bike with or without assistance. I can ride to work which is a 40 mile return trip and use approx 1.3 batteries each way, this is running on high power over a hilly route whilst putting in a steady effort, but not so much effort that I need a shower when arriving in work. When I put in most of the effort on a ride I can top 30 miles on one battery and usually turn in 20-25 miles*.

I have the 190rpm motor fitted, on the flat I can cruise at 17.5-18mph in high speed mode, and 12-14mph in low speed mode. The 190 motor does use more energy than the 175rpm standard motor and therefore provides less range, I usually ride to work with two batteries on board and swap at the 16 mile point when the first battery is depleted.

Components are at Tiagra standard and have held up well over the winter, as have the electrical components. The Cytronex conversion is very well done with no obvious weak points. Lights operate from the battery and are very bright and will continue to shine even when the battery assistance has depleted.

Personal comfort changes include: raised the bar with an fork tube extender, changed the stem to an adjustable, added bar ends, changed seat to a Brooks flyer, changed tyres to Marathon Plus, added mudguards, changed pedals to clipless, added Topeak MTX rack and bag, nothing more planned.

As my fitness and conditioning have increased my on-bike comfort has increased and I am now in the process of lowering the bars until I can do without the fork tube extender (hopefully).

*Remember that range depends on rider and bike weight, temperature, terrain and rider effort.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8.5