Cytronex genesis Day One Motor and Controller alternative

brueh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2011
Hello everybody.
I'm new here because so far I am only a user of a pedelec. Now I have read a lot about electric bikes at Google and in this forum (thank you very much!).
For about a year I have a Cytronex Genesis Day One, back then bought on eBay and as expected it did not last long, the plug of the battery was broken. I had it repaired and about three months later it broke again.

This time there was a short circuit in the motor which caused the controller to short as well. Also the battery fuse broke. I have asked at Cytronex, they sell no components of their system and the repair would be 400 pound. This is too much for me and now I look for other solutions.

I can easily repair the battery myself. Motor and controller and I will probably have to buy new.
In this bicycle is a motor and controller from Tongxin (180W, 175rpm). I would like to have a motor that is similarly light and perhaps a little above the legal maximum of 25km / h. Also the freewheel and the noise are important factors. The performance is not as critical.

Here's my question: I have found several motors and am very confused by the many abbreviations, as I said I am still learning. Perhaps there is someone in this forum can help me concerning the decision of purchase.
- I would like another Tongxin motor and controller, but I have not found a distributor. My email to Tongxin remained unanswered, as expected. I also read at various places that the Tongxin is unreliable (and I have experienced it).
- The next opportunity would be a Bafang. I have found the site BMSBattery.com. They have a SWXK5 and a BPM as a kit. I have not found out the difference between the two mayvbe someone can help. In addition, there are even more different Bafang motors on other sites. Has anyone experience how the Bafangs compare with the Tongxin?
-I also came across the cute motors. I particularly like that the cute is so small and light. But are they any good?
- What about the Q85, Q100 and the Q128 from BMSbattery. How are they different from the 07C?

Last question: My current controller is very compact (http://www.tongxin.net.cn/en/down/kongzhiqi1.jpg) and therefore fits perfectly underneath the pedal hub. Where do you install the somewhat larger controller to be bought at BMSBattery? Does that fit under the pedal hub? What does the number of Mosfets mean?

I apologize for the long text and the number of questions. Thanks in advance!
Bruno

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Welcome to the forum.

Your going to find it hard to source something to match the Tongxin in terms of freewheel, weight and silent running.

If you are looking to fit similar components as you say its going to cost. Maybe worth starting again with a new kit as suggested.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, agreed. If you like what the Tongxin is good at then the Bafang and Cute motors won't be able to replicate it, both are heavier, more noisy and have poorer freewheel....however, the trade off is greater power and they are more robust...

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Hi Brueh
How do you know the motor is shorted? did you diagnose the problem yourself?
It is possible to get another brushless controller that will work the Tongxin motor if the short can be repaired.

brueh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2011
cytronex

Thanks everybody for the quick replies!
@ Frank: Do you know which motor they put in this kit? It looks good and should work with my old battery so might be quite a bit cheaper.
@ Mel: I tested the motor connections and they are all on the same potential. Also the connections from the battery to the controller are shorted. That means that the pins that connect to the pins on the battery with the 36V potential difference are at the same potential. Even if the motor is disconnected. As soon as I connect the controller to the battery it breaks the fuse. So I am pretty sure both, the motor and the controller are shorted somehow.

thehosepipe

Just Joined
May 3, 2008
possible supplier for tongxin

try electri wheel company, they are hard to get hold of but ive found them more helpful than cytronex for supplies.

I also know the 6 fet bafang controllers work with my tongxin. e.g. the ones supplied by frank at das elektrorad. They are slightly bigger but would still fit on the bottom bracket, at least they do on my bike.

Finally I dont have a cute but i have also a bafang swxk. I disagree with what others have said. Its a fairly good replacement for the tongxin, and I would guess the swxu is better still. The sx is slightly heavier and bigger than at 2.8kg but the xu is actually a touch lighter at 1.9 kg. The sx is noisier (well the tongxin is basically totally silent), but still pretty quiet under power and silent and totally free running on freewheel.

Hope this helps.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Be careful though with those 6FET controllers (they are the ones from E-Crazyman) and the Tongxin motor as too many amps could kill the motor. I think Frank at das elektrorad recommends 12amp max. The current limit control is a bit 'loose' and they can be up to 5amps out as I've found out!

thehosepipe

Just Joined
May 3, 2008
Agreed. My own is a 15 amp unit but i never start the bike under power, pedal first. I believe frank used to offer to reprogram the controller to 10 or 12 amps before supplying.
I also noticed that bmsbattery do a cheap 6 fet that works for the bafang, so will also work on the tongxin i think. Hard to tell from their website but reading between the lines i think its limited in current for use with the cute q85... Ive ordered one so see how it goes.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Replied to your PM. E-Crazyman ships from the UK, his controllers can be bought on Ebay and he'll reprogram them for you to your spec.

e-crazyman | eBay UK