Cytronex or Electric Wheel Kit?

dan-w

Just Joined
Jun 9, 2010
I'm looking at buying my first electric bike to use for commuting to work. Fuel costs are getting too much and my commuting distance is just a bit too far to go without breaking a sweat on a regular bike.

I need something that can give assistance, but I won't need it to do all the work. The battery needs to be good for a minimum of 12 miles, but preferably much more. The most important point is that I want one that works as a normal bike when the battery is flat.

After doing a bit of research on these forums, I think that the motor I need is the Tongxin/Nano as this has the least rolling resistance when cycling without power. I think that my options are as follows, but I'd like to hear others' opinions or suggestions:

Option 1: Buy a cytronex bike - these appear to be exactly what I want. Assembled and sold by a UK company, well engineered, lightweight, etc. The only problem is I can't really afford one.

Option 2: Buy a kit from the electric wheel company - appears to be similar components to cytronex, but in kit form. British company and relatively light. The downsides here are the high replacement cost for the battery, and the reports I've seen about poor communication and slow customer service.

Option 3: Freedom e-bikes - same motor and competitive cost, but I'm not keen on importing and the battery details look a bit sketchy. May require some electronics knowledge to manage them properly.

Option 4: source the components separately (ping battery etc) and build from scratch - not keen on this one due to import issues again, and no support or replacement if anything burns out.

It's looking like the EWC is the current favourite (only because I can't afford cytronex) But I can't find any reviews from people who have one. I'd really like some feedback before sending off any money.

Please let me know if I've missed anything out.

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
I can relate to your issues as they're similar to mine when I started out- what's changed is thst discrete electric is more attainable now.

I'd be looking first for a Cytronex used if you can't stretch to new. After that a discrete tongxin kit, but beware EWC as they're not the most reliable by reputation here.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I agree with simon and think that a used cytronex (£700-800) is your best option. However depending on conditions the range can drop down to 10 miles unless the power is used sparingly. The tongxin is not the most reliable of motors but the cytronex is a fantastic installation and great bike. Otherwise have a ride on something like the pro-connect which could also suit.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Yes you do see used Cytronex bikes appear from time to time so keep looking out for one!

I get 70+ miles range out of mine(!) but I only use the motor from time to time. I use the lights a lot though especially on these gloomy rainy days. You do get a nice set of lights and a bike computer on the Cytronex so consider that when comparing prices.

If I use the motor enough to be sweat free I can just about do my 15 mile return journey on one charge of the battery. I originally bought it with the intention of not needing to take a shower every day at work but as it turns out I do still use the shower whether I've had a workout or an easy assisted ride. I just feel that much fresher for it.

If you decide to go the DIY route but don't want to import motors from China you could also look out for the parts on the classified forum. Again, the tongxin motors crop up from time to time.

Good luck.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Something to watch with a second hand Cytronex would be that the battery would be likely have lost some of its storage capacity from new.

The ranges talked about usually pertain to a new battery - the Cytronex appear to have a fairly restricted range compared to other bikes due to the (very pretty) design even when new so a used one could well have a range less than your 12 miles requirement.

I don't know how much a new battery would be but I doubt it would be cheap.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Something to watch with a second hand Cytronex would be that the battery would be likely have lost some of its storage capacity from new.

The ranges talked about usually pertain to a new battery - the Cytronex appear to have a fairly restricted range compared to other bikes due to the (very pretty) design even when new so a used one could well have a range less than your 12 miles requirement.

I don't know how much a new battery would be but I doubt it would be cheap.
To give you an idea, mine dropped from about 16 miles (of london commuting) to 10 miles after 2400 miles and 18 months.

dan-w

Just Joined
Jun 9, 2010
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll keep an eye out for a used Cytronex. £195 for a replacement battery is not that bad, considering the bespoke nature of their installation.

Incidentally, I contacted Mark at Cytronex and they can install their system on an existing bike, but need to check the bike out in person first, so I would still need to get to Winchester from Milton Keynes, just to have my bike inspected.

I was hoping that my post might unearth some satisfied customers of the Electric Wheel Company, but no luck yet. I've had some positive communication from them as well now, but only after they were nudged by David Henshaw from AtoB magazine. I e-mailed him to get some feedback on the company after they didn't respond to my initial enquiries.

I'll keep researching for now, but I have an incentive to make this big purchase before VAT goes up after the budget.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I was hoping that my post might unearth some satisfied customers of the Electric Wheel Company, but no luck yet. I've had some positive communication from them as well now, but only after they were nudged by David Henshaw from AtoB magazine. I e-mailed him to get some feedback on the company after they didn't respond to my initial enquiries.
I found EWC were slow to respond to email enquiries. Perhaps they just don't very often check their emails. However they were pretty helpful over the phone on the couple of occasions I called them.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Dan,
Nice to see another local on Pedelec;)
Do you have a budget in mind for your e-bike? My understanding from your post is you are looking for a used relatively lightweight commuter that can be ridden fairly easily with or without power.

The Cytronex would certainly meet those criteria, another bike to consider is a Kalkhoff Pro Connect, used ones are now starting to appear and not so rare as a Cytronex. Bankie, another MK member recently bought a used PC.

I guess you will be using Redways for your commute and as you are probably aware, many are getting to be quite rough in places, so you might want to consider front suspension.

Regarding the Cytronex, is Mark able to supply kits for DIY installation?

J:) hn

P.S. see my P.M.

tagray

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll keep an eye out for a used Cytronex. £195 for a replacement battery is not that bad, considering the bespoke nature of their installation.
Dan-w,
Can you look at your private mail attached to this forum - I may be able to help.

Trevor

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London

Regarding the Cytronex, is Mark able to supply kits for DIY installation?

J:) hn

P.S. see my P.M.
There are no Cytronex kits at the moment but it is something they have been working on for some time. They have also done some custom installs on customer's bikes and I think it costs about £1200. At that price it makes sense to do it on a good quality new bike rather than something you have lying around in the shed! I saw a customer's carbon Specialized Sirrus one time I was down there and that was in for a custom install. Would have made a fantastically light hybrid bike but at a list price of around £2900, quite expensive.