Daily commute

char1ie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2015
I am looking to buy my first electric bike for a 10 mile daily commute. Obstacles on the route include gravel paths inclined path & normal road. It will also need to be ridden in rain, wind & snow, so major components have to be weather proof.
I want to spend no more than £1000 & want pedal assist & throttle control. I am also 6'3" & 15st. I am lost in a sea of good bikes & rubbish. Any help would be much appreciated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have a look at Woosh Big Bear for larger people and your budget.

Reactions: D8ve

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There are lots of bikes, but your requirements rule out most of them.

Something from Kudos might suit, but they only have 10ah batteries, which could be a bit tight range-wise if you hit adverse conditions and don't feel up to doing much pedalling.

The Big Bear is a good shout, it has a rack, mudguards and basic lights, so is commutable out of the box. although you will almost certainly want extra lights.

The Bear's motor is pokey, so well up to the job.

Perhaps the best thing of all is the 15ah battery, which will enable you to be liberal with the assistance.

Bear (ho-ho) in mind all batteries lose capacity over time, so 10ah might be OK now, but might not be in 18 months or two years' time.

A Bear at around £800 will leave you a bit in the budget for clothing, luggage, a couple of rechargeable lights, and spikey tyres - if you are serious about riding in snow.

http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To give a choice there's also the eZee Sprint Primo, standard battery 11Ah but optional 15 or 20Ah The 15Ah would be plenty for your need and this is another powerful e-bike which would be within your budget with that larger battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclezee and RobF

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Just wondering is there any bike that is similar is big bear but with nexus hub gear? it would be a bit more maintenance free.

char1ie

Jan 18, 2015
A local bike shop has a Batribike Granite Pro. The more I shop around the more I keep coming back to this bike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A local bike shop has a Batribike Granite Pro. The more I shop around the more I keep coming back to this bike
A lot to be said for buying from a local retailer - any bike in daily use will need some fettling from time to time.

The 10ah battery all but rules the Batribike out for your use.

Doesn't matter what the shop's told you, buy that bike and you will suffer what we call 'range anxiety' sooner or later.

Last edited:

char1ie

Jan 18, 2015
I didn't even notice the battery. This is why finding the right bike is such a headache. At some point there has to be a trade off between battery & price.
When it comes to buying something of considerable price, I like to see it & test it, rather than trust a photo & spec list on a website

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Just wondering is there any bike that is similar is big bear but with nexus hub gear? it would be a bit more maintenance free.
It'll take about half an hour to swap out the rear wheel on the Big Bear for one with Nexus-7 or gearbox with Shimano roller brakes.
If you fancy a bit of speed, the Woosh Krieger is nippier for the same money.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The general components on bikes are much a like and can easily be upgraded fairly cheaply, the bits not to over look are the drive system and most important the battery. Choose poorly and you will pay twice, a 13 -15ah battery with 250w 36v should be your min spec.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
It'll take about half an hour to swap out the rear wheel on the Big Bear for one with Nexus-7 or gearbox with Shimano roller brakes.
If you fancy a bit of speed, the Woosh Krieger is nippier for the same money.

That works too.

Maybe there is a option upgrade for the potential Big Bear customer. :)

I am sure some of people do want a strong climber bike with little maintenance. ;)

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
There are lots of bikes, but your requirements rule out most of them.

Something from Kudos might suit, but they only have 10ah batteries, which could be a bit tight range-wise if you hit adverse conditions and don't feel up to doing much pedalling.
Hang on, since when was 10Ah marginal for a 10 mile commute? Typical consumption I've seen quoted on here is 10-12 watt hours per mile. A 10Ah 36V battery therfore gives a 30-36 mile range. When I tried a Kudos Typhoon for my 22 mile commute I had half the battery capacity according to the meter. Yes I was pedalling and I am a cyclist anyway, but the bike did it very easily.

Michael

char1ie

Jan 18, 2015
Yep roughly 10 miles a day 5 days a week. So needs to be quite a sturdy bike

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My almost knackered Bosch battery will get me 25 miles of hilly terrain

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the 15AH battery has two biig advantages: a) hiigher continuous current to support long climbs at high speed. The 10AH peaks at 20A, the 15AH peaks at 30A. and b) fewer charging cycles. Your battery lasts for 500-700 cycles, a bigger battery will do more miles per cycle, therefore more miies during its life. When you buy a bike for commuting, more miles equals cheaper cost per mile.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Think ahead a little char1ie once you enjoy the benifits of an ebike you will probably want ot go further a field esp during the nicer weather come late spring and summer.

D

Deleted member 4366

Your requirements are such that virtually any Ebike can give the performance you need, so you only have to look for a bike that fits you. IMHO, hub-motors are better for commuting because they give a more relaxing ride - not so much gear-changing and it doesn't matter so much which gear you're in, e.g. you can start in top gear if you want. For only 5 miles each way, it's hardly going to make a difference though. I personally wouldn't worry about hub gears. I don't see any less maintenance than derailleur gears.I think derailleurs are much more reliable and maintenance-free.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Yep roughly 10 miles a day 5 days a week. So needs to be quite a sturdy bike
10 miles a day, so 5 each way? In which case a 10Ah battery is absolutely more than enough. My commute is 22 each way, 44 total and as I say I did it very easily on a 10Ah battery (charging each end, but only using half capacity on each leg).

Michael

Reactions: char1ie