Danish cycling

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We need some stats on accidents and head injuries in Copenhagen because less that 1% of riders in that video are wearing a helmet!

Reactions: London Pie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We need some stats on accidents and head injuries in Copenhagen because less that 1% of riders in that video are wearing a helmet!
That's because, like the Dutch, almost all of them don't need them. Just like I don't need one and never have done in almost 70 cycling years. I didn't need one on my motorbike either for the 23 years before they became compulsory.

Of course some do need them and I'm all for those who do having and wearing one.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
It is noticeable in the videos that no-one is cycling hell-for-leather, unlike in any video you see in London. Most seemed to be moving in a leisurely fashion.

Jim

Reactions: oldtom and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is noticeable in the videos that no-one is cycling hell-for-leather, unlike in any video you see in London. Most seemed to be moving in a leisurely fashion.

Jim
Absolutely Jim, and its the same with commuters in The Netherlands and Germany. That's why they can wear street clothing and don't have to have helmets at those reasonable speeds. I really don't think London, or indeed most British cyclists do themselves any favours by forcing the pace the way they do. More sweat, more strain, more knee-joint damage, more bike wear and tear and a greater risk of injury in a spill. Cycling should be pleasant.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Interesting to see how they turn left at crossroads,(our right turn)
From the vid it looks like they cross the junction on the right and then join the cyclists waiting at the lights to go in the perpendicular direction.

I wish London was more like this. How about an elevated cycle route network around London..would be expensive but a small drop in the bucket compared to crossrail.

London Pie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2015
That's because, like the Dutch, almost all of them don't need them. Just like I don't need one and never have done in almost 70 cycling years. I didn't need one on my motorbike either for the 23 years before they became compulsory.

Of course some do need them and I'm all for those who do having and wearing one.
That's an amazing statistic flecc- I can't match it but I did cycle in London everyday for for 12 years and didn't wear a helmet once. I went over a car bonnet once and the only damage was a buckled front wheel. Helmets should be worn by those that require them, but should not be a replacement of awareness, road sense and forward thinking - treat EVERYONE like a potential idiot, and you will survive to tell the tale.
I wonder what the statistic of road cycling fatalities and helmets is?

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder what the statistic of road cycling fatalities and helmets is?
There's no comprehensive information on this, but it's normally the case that nearly all the cyclists killed in London each year were wearing a helmet. Of the eight killed so far this year, seven were crushed by having their bodies run over, no head injury involved.

It just highlights that the whole of a cyclist is very vulnerable and a helmet isn't much of a protection. The best protection is the way one cycles as you've already mentioned, that's primary safety, not having the accident. The secondary safety of protecting against the effect of an accident isn't remotely as effective.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Friday I went shopping down south and had two roundabout incidents (no contact, just close calls)

The first one I engaged in the roundabout and put my arm out it signal to the car arriving fast behind me that I was continuing around the roundabout to the next exit. He tried passing me any way and only succeed because I braked really hard when he cut me off. I was doing about 20-25 kph and... not wearing helmet in an area where I should have been (just outside town limit).

Second I came off the bypass down to the roundabout that turns back to the French border. There was a woman in a Mercedes engaged so I started slowing in order to slip in behind her as she passed. She saw the speed at which I was arriving (about 35-38kph) and braked in the roundabout while screaming Spanish words a lady does not pronounce. I was wearing my helmet.

Moral of the story: drivers, either male or female, are bad judges of your speed when you are on a bike (could well have been a push bike in both cases) and will act unpredictably accordingly. As flecc said you have to think for yourself and for the others around you, they aren't capable of thought...