Help! Dead Bike

Ronnie H

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2024
I recently acquired a "Smarta E-Bike". the bike itself is in perfect condition hardly used. Granted this is not a new , up to date model. However the battery is dead from lack of use and I don't have a, the 'charger' . I don't mind buying a new battery but don't want to until I know the mechanics are working. I have approached several 'alleged' "expert" E-bike outlets who can't and have blatantly refused point blank to help. But would gladly sell me a greatly overpriced new machine. Sustainable transport???. Yeah.
In the absence of not being able to use the battery , is it worthwhile getting and fitting a conversion unit. Are there any competent mechanics who could do this for me. Any advice appreciated.
At the moment this bike is a rather expensive 'paper weight'!

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Its hard to say with only an oblique bike name to go with. how about posting a few pics of the bike, especially its display unit battery connections and controller?

Reactions: sjpt

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I recently acquired a "Smarta E-Bike". the bike itself is in perfect condition hardly used. Granted this is not a new , up to date model. However the battery is dead from lack of use and I don't have a, the 'charger' . I don't mind buying a new battery but don't want to until I know the mechanics are working. I have approached several 'alleged' "expert" E-bike outlets who can't and have blatantly refused point blank to help. But would gladly sell me a greatly overpriced new machine. Sustainable transport???. Yeah.
In the absence of not being able to use the battery , is it worthwhile getting and fitting a conversion unit. Are there any competent mechanics who could do this for me. Any advice appreciated.
Its hard to say with only an oblique bike name to go with. how about posting a few pics of the bike, especially its display unit battery connections and controller?
Depends which model.

The Smarta ebike model I knew was also being sold as the Synergie Mistral in 2007/8 until that firm failed and Pedelecs member "Blew it" owned one. It has a brushed rear hub motor and a Silver Fish battery.

This link is to Blewits post about it, with a photo.

Those batteries are still available.

Reactions: thelarkbox

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Depends which model.

The Smarta ebike model I knew was also being sold as the Synergie Mistral in 2007/8 until that firm failed and Pedelecs member "Blew it" owned one. It has a brushed rear hub motor and a Silver Fish battery.

This link is to Blewits post about it, with a photo.

Those batteries are still available.
I fixed one of those for a guy, who lived not a long way from me, about 10 years ago. it had a normal brushless motor and all standard parts. I changed his blown controller for a better one.

Whatever motor it has, it should be easy to fix.

Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You need to remove the side-plate from the compartment under the battery and pull out the controller to see what's written on the label. That will tell you about the battery and the motor. Batteries are about £150 and come with a charger.

Ronnie H

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2024
What voltage is that bike?
'SMARTA ADVANCED' 37V 10AH LIthium Battery. 'The standard tall thin silver one!

This issue isn't blindingly urgent , just annoying me.
I still have a perfectly usable commuting town bike, but at my advancing years, would like the extra help on hills.
Ronnie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Doesn't help much without pics , however if it is Silverfish battery they are available on ebay and also come with a new fitting kit if their are small discrepencies.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
'SMARTA ADVANCED' 37V 10AH LIthium Battery. 'The standard tall thin silver one!

This issue isn't blindingly urgent , just annoying me.
I still have a perfectly usable commuting town bike, but at my advancing years, would like the extra help on hills.
Ronnie
It is the Silver Fish 36 volt battery, Smarta is just a marketing brand name that never made anything.

You can get the replacement battery on ebay for just over £150 complete with charger, but are you sure it is a working ebike before spending that?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The op will need a 36v charger to tell if the motor/controller works .
Temporarily one can simply wire the charger out put to the controllers power wires to test.

Reactions: flecc