Smarta bikes

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Although they have been around for some time, Smarta bikes rarely feature in these pages. My knowledge of them is zilch but they seem pretty similar to all the other Chinese budget offerings we read about here.

The link I have attached describes one being auctioned on ebay for which the seller has set an unknown reserve and given a starting bid of £350. I don't know how much a new one costs, nor do I know how much the seller expects to receive at auction but the photos reveal a tidy machine so perhaps there is a bargain to be had for anyone who knows about Smarta bikes.

Because I don't remember any forum members singing their praises, I have to think they're not the best at their price point unless some of you know otherwise? Any Smarta owners out there?

Electric bike - Smarta - Scooter - Moped - Bicycle | eBay

Indalo

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Think they cost around £1000, 36v brushed motor, 10ah battery.

I have ridden one, they are well built but quite heavy /steady in the way they ride. Relatively low power controller so good range but not very lively.

The one in that advert states 20A controller so it should be much better and possibly a real bargain.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Thanks for that Benjy. I didn't realise brushed motors were still in use so I imagine the bikes have little to offer the discerning Pedelecs forumites, used to brushless motors on even cheap ebikes nowadays. Nevertheless, I'm sure it would serve someone well if it were cheap enough.

It is worth bearing in mind though for anyone interested that Cyclamatics, by way of example, are still remarkably cheap new with a guarantee, even after their recent price increase. A cheap Ezee can be had, again with a warranty, for £750 or so and there's a raft of other bikes around now for under a grand.

Indalo

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Here is a link to a magazine review provided by TETS I can not see where it specs a brushed motor:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/732278/SMARTA/Smarta Electric Bike Magazine Review.pdf

They are brushed for sure, I had one on long term test for my work, also had a long chat about it with the manager of the Bristol branch of Electric Transport Shop and they chose the motor for reliability. The theory that brushed has no sensors to fail.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I agree that the brushed motor makes no difference in use, perhaps very slightly noisier but also has more torque than brushless. I was told that the brushes should last thousands of miles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are an Electric Bike Sales brand first introduced in 2006 at a time when eZee was the top brand for that sort of bike having the advantage of brushless motors, so those things have limited their exposure. The 1 year electrical and battery warranty when others have two doesn't help either, nor does a brush motor which is a disadvantage, brushes wear out and need replacing.

The one thing in their favour is a high peak power.

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
I bought the 2010 model Smarta GT for £899. Mine has the 15A controller, rather than the earlier 10A one, which I found through experience was inadequate. I use this as my main ebike and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. The brushed motor is noisier than the more sophisticated motors on our other bikes: it sounds a bit like a milk float going along the road. Actually I have just remembered the one problem I have had: the pedals (folding) are junk, and the internals of one disintegrated after 1000 miles. I really can't think of any other problems with it.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Mark at TETS has confirmed it does have a brushed motor including the current model so sorry for doubting you benjy_a.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
AKA Synergie Mistral

It's just the Synergie Mistral tarted up a bit. I still have mine in use as a shopping bike. A good sturdy and reliable bike, but, it's probably the last bike on earth you would want to pedal with a flat battery. The brushed motor and ineffective motor clutch gave the impression of riding through soft sand.

It is a bit noisy when starting off, but the characteristic 'cogging' smooths to a high pitched whine as the speed picks up. Considering it only has a 10A controller, it's a surprisingly good hill climber and romps along the flat at around 17-18 mph in 'sport' mode.

With an extra battery on board, I frequently rode 36 mile jaunts across the Marlborough Downs. Understandably, I've still got a bit of a soft-spot for the Mistral.