Dead panasonic battery - Raleigh e-bike

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
I've been the very proud and happy owner of a Raleigh Dover e-bike for almost 2 years now (2 years next week!). We've done over 4,000 miles together and my bike is my main form of transport.
I seem to have been gradually getting less mileage for each battery charge, and was down to about 15 miles (35 mile average when new). I had enquired about cost of replacement, but no news for a month or so about this.
Today, I rode my daughter to school (on her trailer bike) with a 2-bar on the power/battery level. It's only a 3/4 mile trip to school. Leaving school, the battery indicator (on the handlebars) was flashing, then suddenly nothing. One dead battery. I rode home (fortunately downhill) and put the battery on charge. The charger is showing 5 lights of power, but when I put the battery on the bike - it's still dead.
Is my battery forever-dead? :(
If so, where can I get a replacement from very quickly (preferably the bigger batteries)?
Should I obtain direct from Raleigh or do the panasonic batteries from 50 cycles fit my bike?

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
The gradual deterioration sounds ominous.

What happens if you press the battery indicator button and hold it done for several seconds - on my Kakhoff (same manufacturer) it switches the LEDs to indicate, not the present state of charge, but the capacity of the battery when fully charged. 5 LEDs lit indicates 80-100% of original capacity.

I have a 18Ah 26V battery from 50 cycles, and this has performed phenomenally well over the last 15 months. A tiny amount of capacity loss so far. I think it is going to last me at least 5 years before I might lose 30% of capacity and possibly consider a replacement.

When you put the battery on the charger, how many LEDs was it showing, and how long did the charge take before it finished with all 5 LEDs on.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
German ebay.....

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
The battery took about 5 hours to charge to 5 LEDs (showing 2 when I put it on, even though showed very dead on the bike). When holding the red 'push' button for a few seconds, the LEDs go off, then all 5 light up again.

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
You are getting the correct response from the battery after a charge, and it is managing to show full capacity thanks to all 5 lights coming on for a second time when holding the button for a few seconds.

I would not expect the battery to go dead when you sit it in the bike holder in these circumstances.

One thing that is well worth checking is the contacts between the bike and battery. Looking at the bayonet connectors on the bike where the battery sits, are any of them blackened, or are they still bright and shiny.

If you have a blackened one, clean it with some emery and try to rub a narrow nail file (board rather than metal) in the mating connector in the battery.

If that doesn't work, is there any other panasonic bike owner on Guernsey whose battery you could try ? Raleigh has an ebike technical support phoneline on 01773 532680.

James

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Flecc's website is an excellent resource for the Panasonic motor/battery which is the same unit on Kalkhoffs and Raleighs of 2 years ago.

Here is the new link and you will find the battery connector 2 or 3 clicks down the page.

James

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
The battery took about 5 hours to charge to 5 LEDs (showing 2 when I put it on, even though showed very dead on the bike). When holding the red 'push' button for a few seconds, the LEDs go off, then all 5 light up again.
Yes your battery is definitely OK. It must be something in the wiring/connectors. You need a competent electrician to check over what is happening. Or if you have a meter and patience there is assuredly somone here who will help you through the tests. A camera to take pics may also be helpful in communications.

Not sure why you found the range gradually reducing when the battery shows 5 lights capacity still available. Either you are using more power (higher assist setting especially with the trailer) or possibly there was some increasing resistance due to a fault/poor contact somewhere in the short bit of circuit between the battery and the motor, and it has now gone open circuit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To also answer your question on interchangeability, all the Panasonic batteries and Kalkhoff batteries for the Panasonic unit sold by 50cycles will fit your Raleigh and use the same charger.

The only batteries that won't fit are the Panasonic 15 Ah and 16 Ah ones not sold by 50cycles that are wider and for one of the 300 watt units like that in the BikeTec Flyer X.

Also the Kalkhoff batteries for their Impulse unit won't fit and are 36 volt anyway.

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
Thank you everyone for your help. I've had a look and can't see any black bits. I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow. A bit annoying though as I'm 2 days over the 2 year guarantee, and it had a full service just 2 weeks ago! I'll update when it's sorted. Thank you all again.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thank you everyone for your help. I've had a look and can't see any black bits. I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow. A bit annoying though as I'm 2 days over the 2 year guarantee, and it had a full service just 2 weeks ago! I'll update when it's sorted. Thank you all again.
dont worry about that...just use sales of goods act.

BBC - Watchdog - Watchdog - Sale of goods

see how you get on at shop. and say you will be invoking sales of goods act if they are difficult. There are template letters on web to send, here is one

BBC - The One Show - Consumer Blog: Don't be fobbed off: Sale of Goods Act - letter download

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure the Raleigh e-bike side will be good on the support anyway, Lloyd there is a good customer man.

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
This seems weird. I just put the bike on the back of the car to take to the shop, but I can't push the bike backwards. Resistance on the back wheel. Could it be related?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm sure the Raleigh e-bike side will be good on the support anyway, Lloyd there is a good customer man.
It dont hurt to make the retailer know that you are fully aware of your rights under the sales of goods act. I am sure you are right about Lloyd and its a shame he is not on here these days probably far to busy. Your sales contract is with the retailer..

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
This seems weird. I just put the bike on the back of the car to take to the shop, but I can't push the bike backwards. Resistance on the back wheel. Could it be related?
This is obviously not right and indicates a fault. On my Agattu which is the same as your bike, when pushing back the pedals turn backwards and there is no appreciable resistance. If you think about it this must be so in order that the pedals can drive you forward.

My next test would be to try pedaling forward. I would assume that you would feel the same resistance to movement as you feel when pushing backwards. I assume you have found freewheeling forward is free of resistance, so the freewheel is working and the backwheel is not binding on something.

It looks to me as if there may be something mechanically wrong in your Panasonic motor. A new or overhauled motor will be required if this diagnosis is correct.

PS Is it possible that the shop upset something in their recent service? Worth asking them?

Last edited:

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
:D The shop tells me a new motor will be winging its way over from Lloyd at raleigh this weekend!
Thank you everyone. Excellent advice from you all, and great after-care service from Raleigh :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Great stuff! and another example of why in the long run it pays to buy established makes..

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
I've also received an email from Lloyd confirming the above. He tells me the replacement motor will be one of the new ones with higher assistance ratio, and all covered under warranty.
Hurray for Raleigh!!

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
Incredibly, I got my bike back today, complete with new motor. Outstanding service from Raleigh and Adventure Cycles (Guernsey). Thank you!
What I've noticed so far is the almost complete lack of noise from the motor, and a bit of extra power uphill. I'm sure I'll get extra from the battery now too.
I'm very happy!