Dead Torq

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
I thought I would share my recent experiences in case anyone else gets a "dead Torq".

I was cycling home recently when all power seemed to be lost , and the battery meter went to the Red LED:eek:

At home - had a look and the diagnostics LED on the controller indicated a flat battery. No problem - just discharged quicker than I thought!

Charged up the battery , switched on --same problem.
Charged up battery again-- a charger problem did not help -( taking 24 hours to charge , although the green led on the charger comes on in about 30 minutes of a flat battery- but this has been changed under warranty now--
Apparently my charger was one of a faulty batch)

A couple of weeks later and with new charger , raring to go - charged up battery again.
Same fault-no power , turned on lights , but not enough power to light up the front light , although the rear light came on OK.:mad:

Checked battery voltage at the connectors and voltmeter read just over 40 volts-- should have enough to give me some power , so checked voltage on the pins on the base plate where the battery sits on before it is wired off to the controller-- 40 volts:confused:

Time to start looking at the wiring, disconnecting the wiring straps , when power was restored.:)
It was a high resistance connection on the connector before it goes to the controller- enough to show red on the battery meter but low enough to give the symptoms of a flat battery.

Moral of the story - do not assume the diagnostics to be totally accurate and have a voltmeter as part of your bike tools.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True David, the reason given for each diagnostic signal is only the primary possibility, anything giving an imitation of the condition will trigger the same signal and poor connections are the most common cause.

The only diagnostic signal I've found on the eZee controller to be unambiguous is the overvolts one, but that's only found after adding extra cells to the battery so not much use to most!

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Oh, I've had the overvoltage signal and shutdown quite often from mine.

But that is generally when I've been conducting fiendish experiments to enhance the top speed. At the height of the thunderstorm......

Nick