death of an alien?

D

Deleted member 4366

Do you have room for a bottle battery? If so, put the controller in a tool bag and fit the 09 flat type like this. You can get them from Eclipse or various Chinese sources.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
yes i do have room for a bottle battery.
that set up looks good.
i am just about to try and check out prices .
meantime do you have a rough idea ?
thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh about £325 delivered, Eclsipse about £40 cheaper and BMSB but need to factor in import duties.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ah very depending where you buy, Woosh are 15ah(14.5) /Samsung cells same as Eclipse. I assume BMSB are using the ecity cells rather than Panasonic for the price. Eclipse have 3 ah Batteries from 11.6 -14.5ah.

D

Deleted member 4366

You have a choice of cells from BMSB, so that you can choose one to fit your budget. If OP is happy with his motor and controller, the cheaper one vin my link would be OK. The higher capacity ones with Samsung or Panasonic cells would be better if he needs a bit more power later.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for the choice of replacement batteries.
if i am to replace my existing one i think some sort of warranty would be good after not having one on my alien one it would have come in handy after this one having an issue after a relativley short time.
at the other end of the scale i have been offered some sealed lead acid cells for free .
they look similar to ones from very old type e bikes.
i know that things have moved on a great deal since these batteries were used but can they be utilised with my existing set up?
they are 12volt 12 ahr each so 3 in series would provide the required output.
they would only be used as a temporary solution until i saved up for the correct type.
sorry if this is a stupid idea , i really don,t have any experience with these old heavy sla,s but as they are free i thought i,d ask.
thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you could connect three 12V SLAs in series to power your bike. Put a 25A slow glass fuse in series too.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I have have had an Aurora for four and a half years old, just bought a new battery from Eclipse bikes 36v 13ah, just under £250 inc delivery, only time will tell how long it will last. I am bit of a sceptic always have been. Have you opened up the battery and checked the individual cell voltages. I know I have 3 or 4 cells which are lower than the others.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for the info on sla,s and the fuse.
i haven,t opened up the battery.
if i do and find some cells lower than the rest what next?
can you replace individual cells or is it a case of trying to recharge individualy?
do eclipse batteries come with a warranty.?
thanks

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Stevieb, Cells can be replaced but I have been unable to find any, I have recharged individual cells which improved things, Eclipse give a 12 month warranty on the battery.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for that john.
glad to see the eclipse comes with a warranty and the ahr is greater than my existing battery