Decathlon Riverside 500e ?

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I am looking at this Decathlon pedelec - it looks good value for money, with torque sensing and lockable front wheel suspension. Also 2 year warranty. Thoughts? My wife insists any new bike must replace an existing bike so the quirky Bickerton would have to go - not a great loss as I get into the second half of my seventies

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I am looking at this Decathlon pedelec - it looks good value for money, with torque sensing and lockable front wheel suspension. Also 2 year warranty. Thoughts? My wife insists any new bike must replace an existing bike so the quirky Bickerton would have to go - not a great loss as I get into the second half of my seventies
Anyway - going to have a look at one at a reasonably local store - will report.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, d recommend Haibike. Bought a hard 7 five years ago and it's been fantastic. Motor was rebuilt about a year ago (Peter at Performance line bearings) and its as good as new. Bought a Giant Fathom when Haibike was making noises (prior to rebuild) and without doubt that is more powerful (but worse range) and would out pace Haibike on a climb(if you are willing to put effort in via silly High cadence?)
The Giant has needed 2 sets of wheel bearings along with new hubs at each occasion. (3 done under warranty) and head bearing is now showing signs of wear. The Haibike has now done 6k miles (90% off road) has had 2 cassettes, 3 chains and rebuilt motor) It still feels more together than Giant. Got Giant as even tho they now say its Giant motor, its actually Yamaha.
Good job I kept Haibike as back up. Giant has spent (literally) months back at dealers. Next time Haibike for me. Yes, extra power of Giant is nice (max setting gives 350%, suspect Haibike is 300%,or feels it in comparison, and its accessible at higher cadence on Giant) but extra power comes at an obvious cost. Haibike identical (or probably better) range on 400wh against 500 on Giant. (when Giant can manage a long ride without a bearing failure!??)
If I were buying now I, d definitely get low use Haibike Flyon and not use max setting. No way on earth can anything legal compare with that things climbing.. Its actually too much in highest setting... But again range would be terrible using it. But it's nice to have it.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I'm guessing it's a cadence sensing power delivery system rather than the more intuitive torque sensing one.

Decathlon are known for good value products so it'll be good to hear your thoughts when you've seen it.

Reactions: Zlatan

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I, d recommend Haibike. Bought a hard 7 five years ago and it's been fantastic. Motor was rebuilt about a year ago (Peter at Performance line bearings) and its as good as new. Bought a Giant Fathom when Haibike was making noises (prior to rebuild) and without doubt that is more powerful (but worse range) and would out pace Haibike on a climb(if you are willing to put effort in via silly High cadence?)
The Giant has needed 2 sets of wheel bearings along with new hubs at each occasion. (3 done under warranty) and head bearing is now showing signs of wear. The Haibike has now done 6k miles (90% off road) has had 2 cassettes, 3 chains and rebuilt motor) It still feels more together than Giant. Got Giant as even tho they now say its Giant motor, its actually Yamaha.
Good job I kept Haibike as back up. Giant has spent (literally) months back at dealers. Next time Haibike for me. Yes, extra power of Giant is nice (max setting gives 350%, suspect Haibike is 300%,or feels it in comparison, and its accessible at higher cadence on Giant) but extra power comes at an obvious cost. Haibike identical (or probably better) range on 400wh against 500 on Giant. (when Giant can manage a long ride without a bearing failure!??)
If I were buying now I, d definitely get low use Haibike Flyon and not use max setting. No way on earth can anything legal compare with that things climbing.. Its actually too much in highest setting... But again range would be terrible using it. But it's nice to have it.
I know little about Haibike except that they are well beyond my price range:(

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I know little about Haibike except that they are well beyond my price range:(

I, d rather get refurbished Haibike than new cheaper bikes. In most things you get what you pay for. My Giant Fathom 2 wasn't expensive, by emtb standards, and now wish I, d either got refurbed Haibike or spent more money..
At time similar spec Haibike was around £800 dearer than Fathom 2. Now suspect that would have been £800 well spent. Giant back at dealers this morning. (5 times in 13 months) I, m back on Haibike.

Having said that one of best mtbs I, ve ever had (for price) was Decathlon Rock rider (think it was next to top spec. 8.0?? ). It's 13 years old now and still going strong. (passed onto son in law when I got Haibike).
But for what it's worth, I, d never buy any hub motor emtb pedelec.
So at Decathlon I, d be looking at Riverside 540e or Rockrider e.. (both crank drive and do look fantastic for price)??
Called at Decathlon this evening. Had a look at bikes mentioned. They look fantastic, the Stilus(??) at £2500 (full susp, Bosch motor) is at least £1000 below competition at this spec. Really impressive.?? Second image is £1799. Not sure what motor, but again lovely bike at £1799.-hard tail, felt similar weight to Haibike, nice big tyres, good brakes, decent cycle parts, forks looked fine.. Both fantastic bikes.. They, ve improved since I last looked at ebikes in Decathlon. (the £2500, full susp has 630wh battery too) That spec would be £5k (full rrp) with Haibike.. I, ll be checking Decathlon when Giant goes. (The Stilus is a returned /refurbed/checked bike, full price £3700) Can't go wrong. If I were in market for a bike I, d buy that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
For info... Got Giant back yesterday after yet another front bearing/spindle/hub issue, which seems resolved for the time being. Tried to use bike, Giant Ride App (which you use for display on bike) insisted it needs updating, refuses to upload and won't work without it.. I can use bike, without display, but won't be able to adjust motor settings. (they are user definable through app)..
How much do Giant save by not including a display??

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
@Zlatan , Well, I'm not in for another ebike but if I were I'd be avoiding Giant for sure (and anyway, I'm a 'kit' man TBH) - you've been unlucky with that one.
Really like the bike. Definitely faster than Haibike. Had a great ride today but no readout on display. Used GPS watch for stats. Just tried to load "upgrades" says won't load to app, contact dealer. Phoned dealer, they say try down loading upgrades.. Looks like I, ll be taking it back again.
I like kits aswell. Built a Bafang and a Tongshen. One for daughter on a Cube mtb (Bafang) and TDZ for grandson on a 24 inch wheel Raleigh mtb. Both made great bikes. I can't catch grandson on his. Fastest and best range of the lot, but he only weighs 50k or so.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The Decathlon looks good value but with regards torque sensing they say the more you pedal the more assistance where as with torque sensing it normally says the harder you pedal the more assistance so unsure if its torque or cadence sensing as the text is a bit confusing. For a general purpose road ebike I feel a hub motor is far superior to mid-drive personally so wouldn't worry about being a hub motor, its far more reliable, hugely reduces the drivetrain wear rate and is great for long distances as far less likely to break the chain and have issues because movement of the bike is shared between the cyclist and drivetrain and the motor independently. However if you really struggle with hills perhaps a high power mid-drive motor ebike.

As with all Decathlon bikes their load ratings are a little low. The bike is probably close to 20kg and the rating is 120kg with rider so if you are transporting items you have to factor that in with perhaps 100kg allowed for rider, fitted acessories and luggage etc. It maybe restrictive for you depending on your weight. Some ebikes allow 120kg for the rider alone even allowing some extra for luggage on a rack. You can see the frame is thin and light and the front wheel only has 28 spokes. It is not a bike designed for strength more for lightness. Most hub motors are designed for 36 spokes so they couldn't do anything about that to save weight.

Remember though it will be proprietary in many of its parts, these may not be available years from now and you may find when they are you have to pay a premium for them over more generic ebike parts if available. You are locked into Decathlon support and prices.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
The Decathlon looks good value but with regards torque sensing they say the more you pedal the more assistance where as with torque sensing it normally says the harder you pedal the more assistance so unsure if its torque or cadence sensing as the text is a bit confusing. For a general purpose road ebike I feel a hub motor is far superior to mid-drive personally so wouldn't worry about being a hub motor, its far more reliable, hugely reduces the drivetrain wear rate and is great for long distances as far less likely to break the chain and have issues because movement of the bike is shared between the cyclist and drivetrain and the motor independently. However if you really struggle with hills perhaps a high power mid-drive motor ebike.

As with all Decathlon bikes their load ratings are a little low. The bike is probably close to 20kg and the rating is 120kg with rider so if you are transporting items you have to factor that in with perhaps 100kg allowed for rider, fitted acessories and luggage etc. It maybe restrictive for you depending on your weight. Some ebikes allow 120kg for the rider alone even allowing some extra for luggage on a rack. You can see the frame is thin and light and the front wheel only has 28 spokes. It is not a bike designed for strength more for lightness. Most hub motors are designed for 36 spokes so they couldn't do anything about that to save weight.

Remember though it will be proprietary in many of its parts, these may not be available years from now and you may find when they are you have to pay a premium for them over more generic ebike parts if available. You are locked into Decathlon support and prices.
Thank you for your advice. Yesterday we visited Decathlon in Milton Keynes where they had the model on display. Rode it up and in down the carpeted area. It's a little heavier than I would like and rear biased but seems well finished and with (hopefully) torque sensing and hydraulic brakes, very good value. So I have bought one and will collect next week when the workshop mechanics are in to set their stock one up. By the way I'm light weight (ca. 65kg) so not worried about load carrying - also has a lifetime warranty on the frame. My main touring bike (bought as a kit vacuum packed on cardboard) 50+ yes ago was French. I don't expect this new one (or me) to last that long.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I think when it comes to these electric bikes its a case of you get what you pay for and its probably best to save up some more rather than getting the first thing your budget allows.
Bigger budget = more choice and a better spec of kit.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I think when it comes to these electric bikes its a case of you get what you pay for and its probably best to save up some more rather than getting the first thing your budget allows.
Bigger budget = more choice and a better spec of kit.
I follow "Ebikeschool" on YT - the guy has a wide knowledge of the subject and if you watch his 'Top 5 predictions for the 2023 Ebike Industry' (link) he reckons that due to increasing demand, the price of ebikes will come down, or stay the much same but with better components.

So it may well be the case of what you pay today may bring better rewards tomorrow as the market place evolves?

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I follow "Ebikeschool" on YT - the guy has a wide knowledge of the subject and if you watch his 'Top 5 predictions for the 2023 Ebike Industry' (link) he reckons that due to increasing demand, the price of ebikes will come down, or stay the much same but with better components.

So it may well be the case of what you pay today may bring better rewards tomorrow as the market place evolves?
I do like the new Vruzend no weld kits - just wish they had a range of cases and mounts for various common configurations.

This chap's using tupperware, and Peltier cooling:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

I scrolled his channel but left after seeing the 'Why you dont need suspension' vid.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
View attachment 50242
This is £3k at a few different sellers.
I, ve been along to Decathlon and had a good look at their ebikes and popped into my local dealer this morning (to pick up a dropper post) and had a good look at mentioned Haibike. At £3k the one mentioned is best value of the lot. How they are doing it at that price I can't figure. They also have a higher specced Haibike for £4k down from £5800..If they had it in Large I, d buy one. The bikes in question would just about cost that without the battery and motor. Decathlon are good value but Haibikes at moment unbelievable. (if they have your size left.)
Yes the Decathlon would be a good bike but I doubt you, d sell it second hand. The £3k Haibike could be run for a year and I suspect sold for buying price in 12 months. (That model will be back to £5k plus soon)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id buy it or haggle a bit for cash as stuff in this price range is not moving.

but id not recommend it if you roll round like this to tesco but you have a 2 year warranty to kill it and 5 on the frame.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I, ve been along to Decathlon and had a good look at their ebikes and popped into my local dealer this morning (to pick up a dropper post) and had a good look at mentioned Haibike. At £3k the one mentioned is best value of the lot. How they are doing it at that price I can't figure. They also have a higher specced Haibike for £4k down from £5800..If they had it in Large I, d buy one. The bikes in question would just about cost that without the battery and motor. Decathlon are good value but Haibikes at moment unbelievable. (if they have your size left.)
Yes the Decathlon would be a good bike but I doubt you, d sell it second hand. The £3k Haibike could be run for a year and I suspect sold for buying price in 12 months. (That model will be back to £5k plus soon)
We will see more of this. A lot of reduced bikes are still sat unsold.

One of Mike Ashley’s stores is selling that haibike for £3k. No doubt they were the first to reduce it to £3k, and he will be interested in buying unsold stock sat in warehouses around the world.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it just shows how much they make on them in 2014 you could get a ht bosch bike with a 400w batt for 1200 quid from germany.

we get less for more these days as the $hit is hitting the fan ;)

Reactions: Zlatan and Kev.k

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
There was an article in one of the other bike forums that 2023 will be thee year of drastically reduced bike bits. So keep a look out and you might be able to respec for a lot less.