Decent bike for under £800... suggestions please

Steve

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 28, 2007
Hi there

I am able to spend up to £800 under the cycle to work scheme by my employer. I live in North Leeds and cycle gently down hill all the way in... 4-5 miles... coming back is hard work.... I am now in my 50s etc etc and not super fit.

I am looking for a good quality bike for this commute and other trips
I have been researching:
Urban Mover.... the reviews and follow-up seem questionable?
Giant Suede... Is this model being replaced?
Powacycle Salisbury... seems good value for money .. but is the performance the best for the price?
eZee Liv.. good reviews.. only three gears...is it only a step through?

Have I missed any others?

I am looking for:
A bike that looks like a decent bike
Decent performance and light weight
A reputable company with follow up etc

I welcome your advice and views.

Many thanks

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Suede isn't universally popular due to it having permanent motor engagement. This means pedalling without power always has extra drag. I think it's discontinued now, with the entry of the new expensive twist line. A to B were not impressed by it. Member BikerBob is currently thinking of dumping his.

The Powacycle Salisbury is quite low powered, good for it's lightness, but rather slow as a result. Average journey speeds typically about 12 mph. A to B magazine have it's "sister" bike, the Windsor, on long term test and it seems to be reliable.

The eZee Liv has a slightly stepped down crossbar and is not really a step through, the bar is too high for that. It powerful and I think the best of those you've listed, made better by it's relatively low price. It's very close to being a 3 speed Sprint, and that with 7 speed is a thousand pound bike. Average journey speeds in the 15/16 mph region.

Last edited:

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Hi Steve,

Just to support Flecc's comments. I've had my Suede for two years and whilst it has made me a convert to electric bikes I think that there are now better choices on the market. I believe that there is a replacement in the pipeline but Giant tend to take their time! At the moment I have been waiting 12 weeks for a new battery for the Suede and Giant UK seem less and less optimistic. One possibility not on your list is Wisper. You will find a link to their website in the 'offers' section of the forum. Also worth looking at are the owners reviews of various bikes.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
you could buy a quality second hand bike i just watched an ezee torq sell for 900 odd pound on ebay this bike came with 2 batteries so i would imagine cost about £1400 new there are a lot of good quality second hand bikes come on the market these bikes have hardly been used by their previous owners

Steve

Sep 28, 2007
Thanks...

I have looked at the wisper now on the web and it seems good.. price around £845.

I have to buy new as it is a govt purchase scheme.

Other advice really welcomed

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With that Wisper 905e added now Steve, there's surprisingly little else good around at this mid price area. There's a huge amount of junk around, plus many cheap bikes which might be ok but which may not have ongoing future support. Many bikes are actually the same but appear under other names. For example, the Wisper 905e also appears as the Knight Rider from another outlet, and Synergie bikes (sold on ebay) also appear as Sustain bikes. Likewise the Wisper 805fe is also the Powacycle Puma.

E-bike makes and models appear at a bewildering rate, but few last for long and those who buy them are often stuck for spares and support later.

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
hi steve, i have a giant suede and quite like it,good quality,underrated by many,i am nearly eighteen stone and it does get me around well,only fault i have found, it is not very nice without the motor .other bikes that i have tried are as followed, i found the powacycle looked cheap and did not feel right,felt less powerful, also only 24 volt nimh, compared to 36volt nimh on my suede.i also tried the whisper 905, nice and light but no more powerfull than my suede,i did not think its worth an extra £250 .the powabyke seemed very heavy but more powerfull,also very good to ride without power suprisingly,although not very good if you encounter any steps,due to the weight,if you need to lift it off the ground.the liv sounds good but unfortunatelly ihave not tried one yet.

Steve

Sep 28, 2007
Thanks FishingPaul

I do want a bike that I can enjoy riding without power.... will read up more on the powabyke but what I have read so far wasn't very positive.

The Giant Suede seems to be in the process of being discontinued ...Giant don't market it on their website... and i am wary of getting an end of line model.. would prefer a new model which will have a longer shelf life... support etc

all the best

mercman696

Jun 28, 2007
Ezee Liv

I have had a number of electric bikes over the years including the giant lafree, as well as the Ezee Torq. Recently my wife purchased Ezee Liv and the price and performance is breathtaking.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Liv - get along and have a test ride and you will be converted. At under £700 there is nothing in the marketplace to touch it at present have fun - a word of warning- the Torq is almost too fast for town work but what a feeling of exhilaration on the open road.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I'm not trying to push you towards a Wisper Steve - there are lots of good reports of the Liv - but if you do decide to get one remember it is on offer to members of this forum at £799 rather than £845.

Steve

Sep 28, 2007
The Powacycle Salisbury is quite low powered, good for it's lightness, but rather slow as a result. Average journey speeds typically about 12 mph. A to B magazine have it's "sister" bike, the Windsor, on long term test and it seems to be reliable.

The eZee Liv has a slightly stepped down crossbar and is not really a step through, the bar is too high for that. It powerful and I think the best of those you've listed, made better by it's relatively low price. It's very close to being a 3 speed Sprint, and that with 7 speed is a thousand pound bike. Average journey speeds in the 15/16 mph region.
Hi flecc

I did get a test ride yesterday on a ezee sprint model.. we like it.... bike a bit heavy my wife thought.... great to ride though.. my first electric bike ride!... is the performance on a liv the same?

Now all I need is to test ride a powacycle and the wisper....

all the best and thanks

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the Liv is very much like the Sprint, Steve, weight, performance etc, the Sprint having the edge for very hilly areas due to it's 7 speed hub. And of course the Sprint is full step through for those who insist on that.