Decisions, decisions

Simple

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2012
Suffolk
Hello
I have been an intermittent lurker on this forum since the days when you could count Flecc's posts without needing a supercomputer! I have finally registered after several abortive attempts frustrated by overzealous spam filters.

I need to find an e-bike for my wife who had a nasty accident and has not ridden for two years, she has decided that she wants to get back in the saddle but she cannot manage a pedelec anymore due to a damaged knee and needs a throttle 'twist and go' type of bike. I know that she would like a bike that is a pedelec too as she hopes that her knee might improve further.

Beyond a throttle, she would like dark, discrete paintwork i.e not white or pale, and a step-through frame. Also preferred would be hub gears rather than derailleurs, but this is not a show-stopper.

I have looked at many shop and manufacturer websites to track down an ideal choice, the Smarta LX8, 3E Citylight 2012 and eZee Sprint Primo etc, but I have been unable to find out much about them.

It is my wife's birthday in early June and I would like to get her a bike, my budget would be up to £1500, or a little more for a bike that met all of the criteria.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for bikes to consider, or views on the ones already mentioned?

Many thanks for your help.
Simon

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Hi Simon, glad you have taken the plunge and joined in.
I'm new to the site after needing to sort out a kit for our tandem.
I bought it through Cyclezee, he is a main dealer for Ezee and very helpful. You must have seen his posts on the Forum.
My kit which is similar to the ready built bikes give me throttle or pedelec and I find it good. He will most likely answer you here otherwise contact him at sales@cyclezee.com.
Good hunting

Pete

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Simon and welcome.

The gentle exercise offered by an electric bike may well improve the condition of your wife's knee. We've recently been collating research in this area with a view to making recommendations to a local Hospital Physiotherapy Dept. Needless to say your own Doctor would be best to advise.

The option of having a throttle is important in your wife's case, but generally is a good idea, if only to take out the "wobble" of setting off on a bike, especially into traffic or up a hill.

All our bikes come either fitted with a throttle already, or as an option on our Classic step through. All bar our folder have options for hydraulic brakes (which are very sensitive and self-adjusting), larger batteries (which increase the range to 50+ miles) and hydraulic suspension. But none exceed your budget, even with all options added.

You'd be very welcome to try them at either our own Eco Republic stores in Buxton or New Mills (South Manchester) or at any of our dealers.

The Olive Classic is fairly dark in colour. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Simple

May 6, 2012
Suffolk
Thank you Pete, I had not thought about a tandem;) It is good to know that you like the Ezee kit.

Simon

Simple

May 6, 2012
Suffolk
Thank you Bob, yes we are hoping that a throttle will be the way to get back some of the flexibility in the knee, without the strain of pedaling all the time. I will certainly let you know how we get on. Thanks for the link I will see if the Olive colour passes muster, but the bike looks very interesting.

Simon

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Wisper 806 has a throttle start and is very comfortable. My choice of a step through.
Service and back up 1st class

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Wisper 806 has a throttle start and is very comfortable. My choice of a step through.
Service and back up 1st class
Would this be as comfortable to ride as a normal wisper ? ...say 20 miles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Wisper 806 is a small wheel folder, but they do make the 705 and 706 step-through series. In various versions they come with throttle and pedelec combined but can be made available with independent throttle operation as well. Full details on site:

Wisperbikes

C

Cyclezee

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forum.

Our eZee Sprint Primo might have been suitable, but only comes in silver I'm afraid.

An alternative solution could be a non powered bike that your wife really likes with an eZee conversion kit?

Simple

May 6, 2012
Suffolk
Thanks Mike and Flecc, I guessed that Cakey meant the 705/706 series and not the folder. It is good news that there are so many bikes to choose from now compared to when I was last looking, but it is also bewildering. Not having looked for a throttle/pedal assist combination before hasn't helped either as it is not always clear whether having a throttle is implemented like on a Wisper or as a low speed walk-alongside function.
Simon

Simple

May 6, 2012
Suffolk
Thank you for your welcome. Shame about the frame colour of the Primo, but I realise the cost and complexity of multiple frame colours for next year's models. I was in the mountain bike business in the late eighties and well remember the angst of whether we had chosen the right colours.

I had not thought about a kit at all until Pete mentioned it in the first reply, probably because they seem so technical. I assume that you need a new wheel which the motor is mounted to which replaces the existing wheel plus a battery, cabling and controller as part of the kit. Is the kit a front wheel motor? My wife does have a modest conventional bike that has hub gears which may be suitable.

Simon

C

Cyclezee

Hi Simon,

eZee kits are available from stock with front or rear motorised wheels in 20", 26" and 700c.

If you send me an email, I can forward a copy of our conversion kit installation guide so that you can see what is involved.
If you have a look here you can see some examples of eZee conversions Gallery - Cyclezee Ltd