Derestricted throttle only bike

jimbob1816

Just Joined
Nov 19, 2016
Avon
Hi there,

I am looking for a bike to take off road and would like it to have a derestricted mode. Especially because, the other criteria I have is that I have a mild disability that means my muscles cannot be put through the motion of turning the pedals (I just have to sit there and use a throttle). I have tried a throttle driven bike and it was great but it couldnt get me up certain inclines due to the 250w restriction.

I consulted with a local e-bike shop and they quoted me a conversion kit with a 1000w motor and a 12AH 48V battery for £1350. Does this seem quite steep? After all I looked at the cost of the parts and it looks like parts would be £600-700 am I right? I'm not really sure on the level of expertise that is involved in fitting a kit but £700 for labour seems quite high! or is there more to it than meets the eye?

So I looked for ready fitted bikes (rather than conversions) with a destricted mode and the Cyclotricity Stealth 1000w seems to suit my needs as it has the option to put in a special code (upon signing a waiver form) and the restriction is lifted for off road usage. In the destricted mode, would this be a suitable bike for getting me up hills using just the throttle?

Can anyone reccomend suitable bikes or what I should do in my situation?

Many thanks :)

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Most of the 1000w kits are designed for speed rather than climbing. If you want a motor that will get you up hills without pedalling, you need a low speed one (no more than 230 rpm/20 mph max).

A crank-drive kit, like the Bafang BBSHD would be a good solution. You can get them with a battery from Dillenger or Em3ev.com

£1350 for a normal 1000w DD kit sounds way too expensive, even if it's suitable. They're normally about £600 for the kit and £100 for fitting. Maybe it's something special.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Why not buy a trail bike. Ok it's petrol, but will be legal if insured and taxed the other won't be.

If trail bikes are banned in the off road area you want to use it so will a 1000w ebike

so much ignorance on this... we knocked this image up to help a customer recently. I think we might start sharing it more widely, because clearly there are people who don't realise they are making / riding motorbikes.

https://twitter.com/FactoryCol/status/800651358386929664

* yes, we know its over simplified on the "throttle" issue regarding the law - type approval etc etc. But for our KTM customers, this is clear, if its got a throttle its a motorbike.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Gringo and IR772

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I have a mild disability that means my muscles cannot be put through the motion of turning the pedals (I just have to sit there and use a throttle).
Sorry to hear of your disability, I wouldn't call what you describe as mild though. May I ask is the disability confined to just your legs?

D

Deleted member 4366

so much ignorance on this... we knocked this image up to help a customer recently. I think we might start sharing it more widely, because clearly there are people who don't realise they are making / riding motorbikes.

https://twitter.com/FactoryCol/status/800651358386929664

* yes, we know its over simplified on the "throttle" issue regarding the law - type approval etc etc. But for our KTM customers, this is clear, if its got a throttle its a motorbike.
That poster is not quite correct because throttles are allowed, even under EN15194.

jimbob1816

Just Joined
Nov 19, 2016
Avon
Why not buy a trail bike. Ok it's petrol, but will be legal if insured and taxed the other won't be.

If trail bikes are banned in the off road area you want to use it so will a 1000w ebike
I want to have a bicycel because it makes me feel more in touch with my surroundings (at least when going slowly). In terms of having a powerful bicycle that is only so it can get me up hills really. I also want to use the bicycle so I can go round parks / wooded areas (where a trial bike wouldnt be allowed)

Reactions: Gringo

jimbob1816

Just Joined
Nov 19, 2016
Avon
Sorry to hear of your disability, I wouldn't call what you describe as mild though. May I ask is the disability confined to just your legs?
It's to do with the muscles in my legs especially as they go through the stretch motion of pedalling

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Perhaps short crank arms will also help.
Coincidence !
Due to restricted movement and in an attempt to keep cycling (arthritis and crumbling knee) I've just shortened my crank arms from 170mm to 150mm.
Unfortunatly at the moment my torque activated Bosch system is still to much :(
I'm due for a cortisone injection next week, here's hoping ;)

Forward planning.
if I can't ride my Bosch/cube I'll get a crank kit with a cadence sensor and fit realy short crank arms, a throttle as a last resort.

Note
Unicycle crank arms are cheap, very short and some have sprockets aswell :cool:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/cranks/cranks-cotterless/nimbus-singlechain-crankset.html

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu