Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What's the vote thing at the top for?
Is it a new feature? I see someone's downvoted me for pointing out a typo on @Woosh's website. It was Woosh!

I will fix it tomorrow. Thank you.
I'm outraged! :mad: Why like my post, thank me then downvote me? I always notice typos, can't help it. I'll be certain to point out more typos in future. Website typos irk many people. There are loads of spelling nazi potential customers out there, some might be put off buying entirely - if a seller website can't get spelling right, what else are they getting wrong?

BTW @rsscott - there's an error - says post #3 was downvoted, but it's post #4. I can't help noticing things like that either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpio and Katymac

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Moving the post disturbs the flow of the conversation, I'm sorry to say I dont like it

There are a couple of things to consider here

I'm concerned about building a bike again as my current one is a bit of a disaster (possibly my brothers fault possibly mine)

The raspberry one from Evans is only 2 kgs lighter but the weight is in a different place so I may go and test one of those

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Moving the post disturbs the flow of the conversation, I'm sorry to say I dont like it
Clearly it'll ignite flame wars if downvoters aren't anonymous, which I guess @Woosh thought he was :mad:

As the post went to the end of my feed
You've probably got "Sort by votes" enabled.

The raspberry one from Evans is only 2 kgs lighter but the weight is in a different place so I may go and test one of those
I haven't read much about Specialized motors, they appear to make their own. Are they torque sensored? If so, as with the Fazuaaarrgghh! you might experience the same difficulty of torque from your legs not being sufficient to be recognised by the motor system?

They have set the torque to the lowest setting and my legs still don't register
I did wonder if there was a fault:

If you're saying your bike jumped forward every second left pedal push, when every second left pedal push is applied with the same force at the first left pedal push, that sounds to me like it could be a fault of some sort...

The Specialized motor looks kinda small too, might be another of those lightweight low assistance ebikes with small batteries for strong fit riders, similar to the Fauzuaaarrrgghh!? Best test one thoroughly on several hills methinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katymac

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
The bike mechanics rode and and it was fab, they were quite confused; then one had been to the gym the day before and he was being careful with his knew and had exactly the same problems as me

So it's me not the bike sadly

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Katymac

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The crusa is too heavy and all the weight is at the back so it's unstable when I walk with it or load it on the train
One quick comment based on a friend's experience, it may not apply to you.

She tried a good bike with a frame battery and really enjoyed the test ride. As we were standing on the pavement after she'd tried it people needed to pass. She found it really hard to move the bike aside because the front was too heavy. Based on that she looked around and chose a step-through Gazelle Orange with hub gears and rear rack battery. Just as heavy and not so trendy, but (for her at least) much easier to manhandle when off the bike.
~~~

Asides. This was at https://www.thecyclecompany.co.uk/ (Shawford, near Winchester). They were extremely helpful. In particular, they allow sensible test rides (unlike almost all ebike LBSs) and have some short but testing hills just outside the door. In the end they weren't able to source the bike she decided on.

She also found https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=284354744987&rt=nc&_ssn=electricbikesbristol very helpful and allowed test rides (but not such good hills). They also could not supply the bike she liked.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I plead not guilty.
TESTING, TESTING..... -1
Oh, this is fun! Such power! I wonder if I can vote twice to cancel that out?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
If you are able to include a trailer (main limitation I have found is does not go on a train easily), that solves the weight and balance issue for the bike, as you can offload as much weight as necessary.

You gain lots of space, which makes touring much more relaxed. I put bulky but lightweight items such as sleeping bags and spare clothes in panniers, the rest in the trailer.

Then your choice of bike can be less restricted: a rack battery is less weight than all your gear or shopping in a pair of 20l panniers, and so probably manageable.

You might get on OK with a high torque mid-drive from Bosch, Shimano or Yamaha as they give much higher multiplication of rider input than the Fazua. You would be looking at Bosch PerformanceLine or even the CX, Shimano E6100 or even EP8. I don't know the Yamaha range.

All of those would answer your hill climbing and load lugging needs - worst case is changing to a bigger cassette for lower bottom gear. BUT after the Fazua, you would have to verify by adequate test riding that they can do the job.

You can do a quick test, which is put the bike in lowest gear and highest assist, and just ride away. My 60+ year old legs, otherwise in good order, do that without noticing any effort. But that is what you can only know yourself, by trying out various bikes.

If torque sensor is an absolute no, then the simple choice is the chunkiest cadence sensored rear hub motor you can find and a good sized battery. That will do most things, but extreme hills or touring weight will be its limiting factor. Plenty of folk on here can flesh out that spec, and provide reassurance (or warning!) about capabilities.

Otherwise what's left is cadence sensored mid-drive, where I have to plead lack of experience.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
This is a review of the fazua motor

And this is a review of the motor I think the orbea I linked to before has (
https://www.onbike.co.uk/electric-bikes/orbea/optima-e50.html?fbclid=IwAR3aTpR5fhgPHu0k4KeS_6JkOzQCCuySYxZNszT1ZQJpsByMpxJeQYDC_Ls )

https://granfondo-cycling.com/ebikemotion-x35-m1-review/

Does it sound better for me?
No.

Not enough help at low speeds, not a particularly strong hub motor, and your requirements include load lugging touring.

Start with your needs, and put aside the relatively niche solutions (Fazua, ebikemotion) in favour of well established basic powerful simple generic equipment.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forget any special or fancy motors or bikes , also forget about torque sensing bikes none are suiatble for riders with stamina , weak leg muscles or lung/copd/ breathing issues.
The only real motor type is to keep it basic so a high torque hub motor and a throttle, a system that uses simple cadence pedal rotation as the PAS system.
Current control controllers are best such as KT 's , others are speed controllers which can be a little abrupt .

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lighterweight bike you want really only exists with specialalist bikes for the fitter more able rider , typically these use small batteries (range extenders for the fit rider who needs a tiny bit of help) and smaller lighter motors . These motors will be often a torque multiplier system for those who can put in considerable effort.
For the masses a normal bike weight will be 20kg - 25kg simply because of the 3 - 4kg motor used and often 3.5kg or so for a 10 -15ah (360 - 540wh) battery, any more ah will often mean a longer rrange battery and more weight.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge