Disaster - and I was doing so well!!

Ratzakli

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2010
After yesterday's miserable weather, I woke up this morning to see bright blue skies so I decided to ride to work instead of taking the car.

I had got about 3 miles into the journey when, suddenly, I lost all traction on my pedals. They just kept going round and round with no effect whatsoever. :eek:

The drive motor still worked and turned the rear wheel for me and the gears changed up and down but I wasn't able to use the pedals at all.

Luckily, I was able to call someone who collected me and the bike and drove me home, where I dumped the bike in the garage and took the car after all. I'm now sitting at work feeling rather dejected! :(

I only got the bike about 10 days ago and it has worked fine up until now. I'll probably have to call the company to collect and repair it but, before I do, does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? If it is something fairly simple, I might be able to sort it out myself. That way, I would also know what to do if it ever happens again.

Thanks

Ratzakli

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sounds like the freewheel to me, if you are peddling and making no impact. It will still activate the motor through your torque or speed sensor.

You'll probably need to take just the rear wheel back

Ratzakli

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2010
I meant to post a follow up to this much sooner but kept getting distracted by the sunshine and things! :D

Anyway, I managed to have a better look at the problem when I got home that night and still couldn't see anything obviously wrong so I rang Sports HQ, who sold the bike to me.

Tim on the helpdesk was very patient and took all the information. He also put me on to their mechanic, who went over a couple of things. He said he would check out some informatio and call me back.

While i was waiting, I looked at the bike again and spotted, to my great embarrassment and shame, that the chain had actually slipped off the sprocket but, instead of falling down and hand hanging, it was lying right next to the sprocket (held there by the guard) so it had looked to me like it was actually still in place. It took me seconds to slip it back on and fix the problem!!! :eek:

I felt a complete fool when the mechanic called back. I apologised for wasting thier time but he was very good natured and chuckled about it. He said they were pleased I had sorted things out.

I have to say I was very impressed with the patience that they showed to a complete numpty like me!! :rolleyes: :D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Don't feel embarrased Ratzakli, the same happened to me last week.
I was like WTF is going on.
It is hard to spot the first time.
Good thing is that now it's done it once, i'll know what to do next time :)

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
If you are peddling and making no impact, you probably need to change your sales technique :D
No one spotted your distinction, Lemmy, so please forgive me if I drone on fruitlessly once more, as I have a number of times in the past, that to pedal means to propel with your feet, while to peddle means to sell things, especially by taking them to different places. It's not hard!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No one spotted your distinction, Lemmy, so please forgive me if I drone on fruitlessly once more, as I have a number of times in the past, that to pedal means to propel with your feet, while to peddle means to sell things, especially by taking them to different places. It's not hard!
I spotted it but have got fed up after the huge number of times I've posted a correction in this forum so have given up.

I guess lots of people use The Grauniad* dictionary. ;)

(*Guardian)

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
It's a bit depressing, though, that on a forum dedicated to cycling, so few people know how to spell one of the main words used: pedal!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I found I was doing it too.

I know the difference, just hadn't noticed until it was pointed out. Oops!