Disposing of a faulty ebike battery

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi all

I have a 5 year old Yosepower Hailong 36v 13ah downtube battery that has failed. I cannot charge it (charger initially sent 30-40w into it for a few minutes then went to green)and although I can intermittently get it powered on (the leds on the top of the battery flash up full) and I have tried to ride with it tonight and it cuts out straight away.
I'm not one to risk opening it up and tinkering about, I don't know what I'm doing. I've tried to connect a multimeter but get nothing as it's not powering up. Maybe some of cells are.now duff or the bms is stuffed, I dunno.

Anyway, I've had my money's worth from it, so how do I dispose of it. Is there anywhere that recycles the batteries ?

Cheers

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My local Council tip (miles away) doesn't accept batteries of any type. When the time comes, I considered disassembling my battery and dropping the cells into battery disposal/recycling boxes they have in shops... and I'd do that if I was certain they were actually going to be recycled.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thanks guys. My local tip lists car batteries and 'batteries' as accepted so I'm hoping they'll be able to take the ebike battery. I've heard Aldi have recycling bins instore that it would seem are managed by a company who recycle batteries, however, I don't fancy taking apart my battery and splitting the cells, I'm likely to short circuit it somehow and the thing will explode!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put it in a bucket of water for a week then the cells will be pretty much inert or throw it in the canal :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

ppl use it like the tip even cars lol