DIY Electric moped

Oggers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2021
Folks

Been having a read on the web regarding a DIY conversion of something like a Honda cub moped over to electric. Although a pretty competent motorcycle mechanic, my weakness is the electrical side of things - particularly wiring! A few basic questions perhaps, and apologies for my ignorance in advance.

Looking for something like a 48V 3kW motor mounted roughly where the moped engine/gearbox unit would be. Don't think I would need the gearbox, but comments welcome. Chain driven to the rear wheel. Therefore, is there a kit available to enable the conversion - to include motor, controller, throttle, etc, and is there a wiring diagram for such things. I noted something on Amazon which may suit, but any info. would be most welcome. Many of this equipment originates from China, so instructions as to how to wire everything up may be light - to say the least. Anything I can use to assist would be most welcome.

Batteries - what would we recommend for this application please? Looking for a range of 30 miles.

Has anyone attempted similar? I noted there is actually an off the shelf electric Honda cub for sale, but it is rather pricey. I think I can do better....

The law - I am assuming - perhaps naively - that I simply inform the insurers for the moped that it is now electric powered - otherwise, everything will be pretty much standard. Again, comments welcome.

Many thanks

Mark

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The law - I am assuming - perhaps naively - that I simply inform the insurers for the moped that it is now electric powered - otherwise, everything will be pretty much standard. Again, comments welcome.
Not that easy Mark, the insurers won't accept it for road use without type approval and neither will the DVLA to register it. The Cub's original approval for road use is voided by a major conversion such as this. For one-offs like this there is IVA (Individual or Single vehicle approval), carried out at an approved testing station.

You can download a 207 page guidance manual from this link

You'll find the fee for the inspection on this link , Section 2.2 will apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deus

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think for low power like that, you'd be better off with a hub-moor. That will be less complicate to fit. You only haveto fabricate an arrangement to clamp the axle and prevent it from rotating. You can then stick the battery where you want (where the original engine was) and maybe the controller under the seat.

Ready made conversion kit:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Scorpio

Oggers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2021
Flecc - Cheers for that. I suspected as much. All rather irrational if the power source is considerably less than the original. There is no way I would undertake IVA. I wonder if I could get away with it classed as an electric bike - with a suitable switch to revert to 250W and a pair of pedals....

vfr - Yes - plenty of hub motors about. Thought of that, but prefer my arrangement.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc - Cheers for that. I suspected as much. All rather irrational if the power source is considerably less than the original. There is no way I would undertake IVA. I wonder if I could get away with it classed as an electric bike - with a suitable switch to revert to 250W and a pair of pedals....
Still a bit dodgy I'm afraid. Even kit pedelecs are supposed to go through IVA in a limited form called "250 LPM", standing for Low Powered Moped. That's universally ignored since they are so obviously bicycles, so a blind eye is turned, but of course that's not true of a Honda Cub.

And power level switches are illegal on pedelecs anyway, only a nominal 250 watts is allowed.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
No I.V.A needed. Its just an engine swap. I.V.A only needed on an already registered vehicle if there's modification to the frame/ chassis. You just need to send the DVLA written proof of the swap, such a receipt for the motor.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: danielrlee