DIY Torque Arm Advice Needed

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
Apologies for the poor pictures. Ideally I would like to mount some TA's inside the frames, as you can see from this pic, there is 3mm I can remove with a grinder and file;

I would like to install the following. Please excuse the template, it is just to illustrate the idea.

Something around 9mm thick steel. Does it look sufficient?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I would say that it looks sufficient . A better design would be if instead of haveing an open slot , the torque arm completely surrounded the axle,. To remove the wheel , you would need to unbolt the TA from the frame, but it would be more than twice as strong.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I agree with neptune, to make the torque arm completely surround the axle would be a lot stronger.
I don't think you need to go as thick as 9mm, 6mm thick would be plenty strong enough if it makes things any easier

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
I was planning to weld Epoxy (like the DocBass TA's), so the above idea isn't going to be practical unfortunately.

If anyone else has any better ideas of what TA would be more suitable, it would be greatly appreciated.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Sacko,

Have you seen the versatile eZee torque plate sets that we supply, they are very popular and only £10 per set including delivery within the UK.
P1060115.jpgP1060117.jpgP1060118.jpg

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't have believed it either until this pic from that ES thread!

My only concern would be getting sufficient flat surface area to give the epoxy the maximum strength...

Last edited:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I would try and use some of the cyclezee parts personally. It doesn't actually take that much force to bend a bit of 1/8 steel angle iron like that imo

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
DP420 is rated at 4500psi overlap sheer force, the TA's are 2".

Cheers for the offer John, but I am hoping for something a little more discrete.

boyced

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2012
A, A
Is that a Giant bike? looks similar to mine.

Cyclezee - what are these products like? will they work with a magic pie 2?

C

Cyclezee

Is that a Giant bike? looks similar to mine.

Cyclezee - what are these products like? will they work with a magic pie 2?
Hi boyced,

We have sold them to an MP owner before, so I assume they are OK for yours.

I have just responded to your email;)

C

Cyclezee

the hole in the torque arm is too small for the magic pie to fit
Assuming the axle flats are 10 mm, if the axle diameter is larger than the hole, you could try filing or lightly grinding out the curves with an appropriate tool until you get a snug fit without drastically weakening the plate.