Do I need Full Sus on an electric fat bike?

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
I think you've made up your mind that you want a fat bike and no matter what anyone says its not going to change your mind? If that's the case, the one you're looking at has a big discount and looks like a great deal. Go for the full suss its much easier on the mature back. Just buy a shock pump and dial it in for your riding style. A shame you haven't been able to try various bikes in the conditions they were made for. To try a fat bike on a typical UK mtb trail then have a go on a standard width tyred emtb might have changed your mind?
Good luck with your purchase Graham.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Thanks Eddie. I have ridden a few now, including 4 bikes on plus size tyres. 2 specialized, 1 Haibike and a Scott. As I mentioned to SW I've not ridden them on the trails, only round park, up and down grassy banks, steps etc. They didn't really seem much different at all from standard tyres with regard to handling, but I know the grip will be better when pushed.

All the plus size were good, and would do what I want. The control is probably better on the plus size, an if I do start technical trails are likely to be considerably more nimble than a fat bike.

I know I'm basically treating this in the same way as a muscle car. Not really practical at all, but just want it as a boys toy. I'm not looking to say "I want to ride the trails, what's the best bike for that". I'm saying more like "I want a fat bike, then I'll work out where I can ride it". :)

It's a lot of cash just for that I know, but there seems to be plenty of stuff on Youtube with fat bikes on the trails and people loving it.

I'm under no illusions that I'm ever going to be able to do this, but these guys show the a fat bike level I would be more than happy with. Just trucking along scenic dirt roads wold do me fine.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I think you've made up your mind that you want a fat bike and no matter what anyone says its not going to change your mind? If that's the case, the one you're looking at has a big discount and looks like a great deal. Go for the full suss its much easier on the mature back. Just buy a shock pump and dial it in for your riding style. A shame you haven't been able to try various bikes in the conditions they were made for. To try a fat bike on a typical UK mtb trail then have a go on a standard width tyred emtb might have changed your mind?
Good luck with your purchase Graham.
I've been looking round today to see if I can hire a non e fatbike to give a serious work out too.

But as you say Its probably just something in me that wants to pose and say look at my big wheels. lol

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Mind you I said that about my jump stilts, and they ended up costing me a lot. Mostly in travel and all the padding. Not to mention hospital visits. ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what you want is some 3 spoke carbon wheels on it then you can go tubeless, ill have a look as seen some on the german site ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
  • Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
carbon fibre is not cheap tho you will take 3-4kg off the bike waight ;)

• Useful

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Being ebike there is no real penalty with FS fat bike. Just have accept 15mph as top speed. In saying that I doubt standard HT fat bikes get much over 15mph on flat.

• Agree

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I have ridden fat bikes, indeed been bike packing on one, and they are remarkably versatile.
Yes the steering is a bit woolly and they are slippery in mud but they do soak up a considerable number of bumps, the one I used had no suspension, front or rear and it was the older 3" tyres. The larger rolling radius helps smooth the path on rocky ground too. Most of all they are fun to ride :) Fixing a puncture whilst on the trail can be a bit of an issue though and I decided to go for a 29er which has a very similar rolling radius but punctures will be easier, steering a wee bit more accurate and better in mud. To specify suspension or not is largely a personal choice as the fat tyres do absorb small shocks and, if you go for a hardtail, you could add a suspension seat post if the worst came to the worst! A FS does have some maintenance implications but not too many and minor costs but neither are significant imho. It is a difficult call and I would let your feelings win the day, I suspect you will know when you have found the right bike :)

Last edited:

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Cheers Tom. Helpful to hear thoughts of someone who has ridden fat bikes too. From what you say, and other have said I think its a toss up between them, and hopefully whichever I go for I won't be disappointed with.

Awesome film clip too of your travels.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Fat bikes seem to be fashionable at the moment but full sus is just adding more weight to the mix of drag when pedalling, assisting, uphill manoeuvres ,less range , big tyres will take out all the pebbles roughness of ride, full sus for show and if you are jumping, downhills stunting etc. All of which hard going on a behemoth.
I had full sus Norco, sold it and gone hardtail again, along with hardtail ebike city/cross sus on front 700c ,rolls and pedals great even without power, going to enjoy some summer forest rides I reckon.
Test ride essential I reckon Then you pays your money