Do you feel vunerable on road?

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
I do, at least sometimes, a week in, riding my new ebike I find that cars and lorries are underestimating my speed and pulling out, not leaving enough space to overtake and cutting me up in all sorts of ways. I have taken to riding in the middle of the road now, that stops them a bit and leaves me some room to manouver.

If this goes on I might have to buy a helemet, but I never needed one on my non ebike.

Anyone else find this?

Geoff

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it's the same for all of us. E-bike speeds can and do increase the danger in many approach circumstances, though it reduces it in some others. We do need to anticipate more than in riding normal bikes and expect others to do the wrong thing all the time.

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
There are two types of riders; those who have gone down, and those who will. Regardless the type of your bike, wearing a helmet is always a good idea.

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
There are two types of riders; those who have gone down, and those who will. Regardless the type of your bike, wearing a helmet is always a good idea.
Yep.
People pulling out has always been an issue even under leg power, I've been into the side of a couple of cars over the years of commuting. The extra speed of my kit means I have to be extra aware, I wouldn't consider riding it without a helmet.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
You have to be aware of that of course but most of the time the extra speed works to your advantage as fewer drivers are over-taking you. Always assume that the driver pulling out has not seen you otherwise you end up as peasjam does, over the bonnet (or worse under the wheels of a lorry). Has worked for me over the years on motorcycles and cycles, after all cars rarely appear out of nowhere. The helmet brings disadvantages as well as advantages as long as you are aware - far better to ride safer on the road than rely on it.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Are electric bikes faster than non-electric? My Kalkhoff makes it easier to ride but not faster and I am overtaken all the time by sporty types on non-powered bikes.

By the way, could the helmet folk leave out the preaching. I doubt there is anyone here under the age of 18, so as adults we really don't need advice from other riders, especially since many of them will have less experience than the people they to whom are preaching :confused:

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Do i feel vulnerable? Frankly not at all. I am aware of my self i am aware of others and i have a very good perception of intentions. This is not me suggesting i am invincible or i am the wordls best rider but if i woke up and decided that i felt vulnerable then i would sell my bike and get the bus. I am a very confident person in what ever i do as if you doubt your self you will cause issues and if you doubt others well thats a whole other thing. Through feeling vulnerable then can come nerves and thats when you will make mistakes.

The only thing i cant control or think ahead on is if some numpty rear ends me and if that happens and i can still walk the numpty wouldnt be, and then if im seriously injured hello legal action. Ive never had an accident on my bike ive had several in a car but they have been on carparks where people are not paying attention and just drive into me at low speeds. I have a numer of different licenses including the advanced so i feel that i have a good understanding of vehicles its just there owners you need to watch and even then there are only so many things you can do with a car, van or HGV.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
*** Comment removed ***

Admin: Blew It - please read the terms, in particular: 2. Be nice to each other - no personal attacks on other users.

Whatever you agree/disagree about another member's posts, getting personal is not acceptable.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes I do... Particuirly in London where you are constantly squeezed into confrontations with frustrated car drivers every 50 yards (or less) by bloomin traffic islands!

rear view mirrors are essential IMO My second bike had not got one (just ordered) and feel very vunerable riding that.....

Last edited:

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I agree, eddieo, much better a rear view mirror to see what is coming up behind without having to turn your head (thus taking your eyes off what is about to cut across your bows), than a helmet which will come into play only if you are hit, and then only if the top of your head (rather than your knee, hand, elbow, etc) hits a solid object, and the speed of impact is less than 12 mph (manufacturers' testing criteria).

I have used the Mirrycle for almost 25 years, and find it is now almost impossible to ride a bike with any confidence without it.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I don't think it's a case of feeling vulnerable, but more of my being aware of my vulnerability relative to other road users. IE, if I hit a car, then I'm going to come off worse than the driver, physically speaking at least.

So, as has been mentioned, every car driver should be regarded as the lowest common denominator. This way I'm often pleasantly surprised by their consideration, but also prepared for their lack of it.

For what it is worth, the only pieces of cycle safety equipment I regard as personally essential, are something reflective after dark, and a pair of gloves - the first thing you do if knocked off a bike is put your hands down, and I've lost enough skin off my palms to last a lifetime.

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I do, at least sometimes, a week in, riding my new ebike I find that cars and lorries are underestimating my speed and pulling out, not leaving enough space to overtake and cutting me up in all sorts of ways. I have taken to riding in the middle of the road now, that stops them a bit and leaves me some room to manouver.

If this goes on I might have to buy a helemet, but I never needed one on my non ebike.

Anyone else find this?

Geoff
Hi Geoff.

It would surprise me greatly if there are cyclist out there who have never given any thought to their own mortality when they take to the road on two wheels. You appear to be making a distinction between your ebike and your previous, manually-powered bike which causes me to ask how fast you rode your previous bike. I certainly can't ride my ebike any quicker than my other bikes but it's certainly easier when the going gets tough.

Others may wish to disagree with me here but I feel size is important on the road. Some bikes, though adult-orientated machines, are quite small in frame size and some larger adults seated thereon tend to look somewhat incongruous which perhaps leads some drivers to think the cyclist shouldn't be on the road because they're only messing about on their kid's bike.

Large framed machines, particularly the Dutch-style of bike where the rider appears to be perched well above the roofline of cars and small vans, seem to gain a little respect at least from some motorists. I'm not sure why, (if indeed it's true at all) but I think there may be a little psychology goes on in a similar way to goalkeepers trying to make themselves look as big as possible for penalty kicks. Equally, you may have noticed Vladimir Klitschko, even though he is much taller than David Haye, made a point of pulling himself up to his full height during the preliminaries to their fight. Sheer psychology; nothing more but maybe it worked as Haye looked a shadow of the man we've seen in other fights. This giant, of course, was different class from the last giant that Haye fought.

Anyway, excuse my digression and I really hope you're beginning to enjoy the benefit of cycling with a little help on tap when you require it.

Regards,
Indalo

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think stay out of my way because they see my enormous handlebars looming up on them and don't want to get their mirrors smashed off.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
A contrarian view but I cycled home from Bermondsey this evening, about 14 miles right across London via The Elephant and Clapham and I felt a bit sorry for the car drivers on occasion. Swarms of cyclists overtaking slow traffic up the middle, outside and bike lane, poor s**ds didn't know which way to turn!

Plus many weaving through pedestrians crossing the road and loads jumping red lights or not even acknowledging their existence.

It was great fun (I normally avoid the rush hour) but if that behaviour signposts the future of commuting, I think I'll buy a huge armoured 4x4 and bulldoze my way past the lot of them:D

Last edited:

rayhayes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2010
vunerable

Look at the end of the day we are all vunerable, be it ,car user ,motorcycle,bike ,or pedestrian. Thats life ..its full of risks.....and we all make mistakes..every one of us, though sadly only some admit to it. Modern cars have huge a pillars which restrict vision, and yes you should look round them, but sometimes you may not, and miss the bike or cyclist or car etc. Their seems to be theme amongst some cyclists that the world is out to get them.....and for that matter motorcyclists as well. Its not true, you have your own safety at stake at every junction, watch out and avoid, even when they are looking straight at you, watch for the slightest sign. It does'nt matter who is at fault, you as a cyclist or pedestrian will always come off worse....so for the most part apart from a rear ender, your life is only in your hands...trust no one!!

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Look at the end of the day we are all vunerable, be it ,car user ,motorcycle,bike ,or pedestrian. Thats life ..its full of risks.....and we all make mistakes..every one of us, though sadly only some admit to it. Modern cars have huge a pillars which restrict vision, and yes you should look round them, but sometimes you may not, and miss the bike or cyclist or car etc. Their seems to be theme amongst some cyclists that the world is out to get them.....and for that matter motorcyclists as well. Its not true, you have your own safety at stake at every junction, watch out and avoid, even when they are looking straight at you, watch for the slightest sign. It does'nt matter who is at fault, you as a cyclist or pedestrian will always come off worse....so for the most part apart from a rear ender, your life is only in your hands...trust no one!!
That is true but there have been many times when drivers have shot out in front of me from a junction and barely stopped or not stopped at all. I can only guess they are in such a hurry that basic stuff, such as checking there is no one there, becomes optional. They do always seem surprised to see a cyclist though. I do think the Jeremy Clarkson culture has a lot to do with this so lets not forget that there are an awful lot of those types out there driving cars.

Having said that I agree that you have to cycle defensively and assume drivers will not see you. Making yourself highly visible is surely sensible.

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Thanks all, some good and interesting input.

Yes, I rode my "ordinary" bike for many years, and it is larger than my e bike foler, and it did/does (I have still got it until I clear out the shed!) command a little more respect. It is probably that the smaller appearance of my 20" folder leads motorists to assume that I am going very slowly, (but I can reach almost 20mph on throttle pedalling like mad).

I have had a few incidents with cars over the years so I am very aware, I also ride a motorbike so even more road aware.

I am going to get a mirror, thanks for the suggestion, the helmet must wait, I like my long white locks flowing in the breeze, anyway why are the helmets all so, err, odd looking?

Just finished installing my new inverter for battery charging from my solar panels on my motorhome, 600w and it pulls 60 amps at full load, that is some serious wiring, soldered joints and 8mm cable. It all works!

Geoff