• YES

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • NO

Votes: 31 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Parallels my very long experience Wildswimmer Pete, but I fear we will never alter the views of a modern generation, many of whom seem obsessively fearful of everything. They'll find it offensive, but I think we've been breeding a nation of wimps, obsessed with dangers, real or imaginary, PTSD, and compensation.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Oh...you are SOOOOO right flecc, I despair sometimes at just where this world is heading, never mind just where this COUNTRY is heading.........because with the best will in the world...WE are dying out and very soon will not be replaced with enough 'normal' hard working responsible people to outweigh the dysfunctional families.....to whom everyone else is to blame for everything...never themselves....

Lynda :)

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
modern generation well I am 61,come and ride around Amsterdam with the scooters, I always wear my helmet at night
but I go fast I hit 45kph last night along some deserted bike lanes to the north of Amsterdam.
you silly old fools.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I don't know anything about the riding/driving standards in your location, but in something like 1,000,000 miles and well over 45 years on two wheels (powered and pedal) I can honestly say that in all that time I haven't been "whacked from behind by a scooter/bike" nor indeed had any "near misses". It's down to using "common sense" and "keeping my eyes open for the other guy" - something my generation did by instinct. There were also many more cyclists on the roads in the 1950s when I grew up and no-one wore helmets - assuming they were available. Putting it simply, unlike nowadays my generation didn't need to be told how to wipe our backsides.

Do you think pedestrians should wear helmets? Pedestrians have suffered head injuries after not just being struck by scooters, motorcycles nor even cyclists, but other pedestrians? Where do you propose to draw the line?

Bear in mind that I have paid taxes and NI contributions for several decades, and the "not wearing a helmet costs society to patch you up afterwoods" argument doesn't wash.
It happens, I've been hit from behind by a motorbike on it's side and I've had a dog jump out in front of me from behind a tree. I stayed on my feet both times but I've ended up on the floor a few times after loosing traction.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
modern generation well I am 61,come and ride around Amsterdam with the scooters, I always wear my helmet at night
but I go fast I hit 45kph last night along some deserted bike lanes to the north of Amsterdam.
you silly old fools.
Why wear the cap if it doesn't fit, using that error of yours as an excuse to insult others?

This "silly old fool" is stupid enough never to have hurt himself in any way after more than half a century of cycling, motorcycling and driving. How stupid is that?

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Why wear the cap if it doesn't fit, using that error of yours as an excuse to insult others?

This "silly old fool" is stupid enough never to have hurt himself in any way after more than half a century of cycling, motorcycling and driving. How stupid is that?
I do believe it might have been an attempt at humour - of the ironic kind.

C

Cyclezee

Please let us know where you can legally ride a pedelec at 45kph? I was under the impression that pedelecs were limited to 20kph throughout Europe.
You can ride as fast as you like on private land if you are the land owner or have the owners permission.

The limit within the EU is 25 Km/h, but I am not sure about limits in non EU member European countries.

The Isle of Man for example is not a part of the EU, has no national speed limit outside built up areas and you can drive a car at the age of 16.

It would be good the hear from Manx member regarding electric bike regulations there if indeed there are any?

I guess it will be a while before Mark Cavendish gets round to posting;)

Last edited by a moderator:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
It would be good the hear from Manx member regarding electric bike regulations there if indeed there are any?
None showing on 'your' map John ?

C

Cyclezee

There are several Lynda, it is my second biggest export market;)

I meant regulations, not members:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In previous conversation with IoM members it appears that the IoM has no e-bike legislation. I only know of three e-bikes on the island, two being owned by members, so it's probably not a big enough issue for the Tynwald to legislate for.

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Its just the way my brain works but every time I read this question "Do you regularly wear a cycle helmet" I am tempted to reply "No, not even on a bike." There I've given in to temptation.:D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Its just the way my brain works but every time I read this question "Do you regularly wear a cycle helmet" I am tempted to reply "No, not even on a bike." There I've given in to temptation.:D
LOL.....Temptation is a dangerous thing .......but sometimes unavoidable :D:D

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
The link is broken Mike.
Not quite. I think the forum's swear filter has censored 4 letters of the URL. Where the "****" appears, put in the 4 letters starting with C and ending with T! :D

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
The manager of S****horp fc[there is a 4 letter word in there somewhere] had a fall on his bike went over the bars it seems
head shoulder back injury´s first one in years cause of prang a ...Squirrel.no helmet.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Ruddy squirrels, you'd think they would know better and wear a helmet :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At risk of stirring things up again, the silliest example I've ever seen of faith in helmets was on TV a few days ago. Prince Andrew abseiling down The Shard wearing one! Did he really seriously think that could protect him in a fall from up to 300 metres?