Does bicycle weight really matter?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I'll replace the SR2 set with something else to match the rear wheel with same tyre with reflective band, rim and spokes. The problem is spoke length, can't re-use the SR2's rear spokes. Originally, I was looking for a lightweight crank drive to keep the Giant SR2 wheelset. Now I am going to keep the hub kit at least until end of 2016.

I’m toying with the idea of doing this with my Cube road bike but was thinking of the Keyde system. This motor would be cheaper but a bit heavier at 2kl I think you said. But a battery that size and weight would be a no no for me. I would only want assistance on some of the steep hills and so a small old fashioned bottle type that looked like a bottle would do. Maybe 6 Ah with a simple on/off switch.

I wonder if that could be done with this motor and where the controller would go?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the controller on my D5 is integrated in the battery casing, model Lishui HL1260. I'll check with the battery suppliers, one of them may want to make a custom battery for me in 10S3P in an HL case with NCR3400mAH cells.

Reactions: JohnCade

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I’m toying with the idea of doing this with my Cube road bike but was thinking of the Keyde system. This motor would be cheaper but a bit heavier at 2kl I think you said. But a battery that size and weight would be a no no for me. I would only want assistance on some of the steep hills and so a small old fashioned bottle type that looked like a bottle would do. Maybe 6 Ah with a simple on/off switch.

I wonder if that could be done with this motor and where the controller would go?

You could buy this empty case which accepts a 15A sine wave controller in the base and have someone build a 6A battery to go inside. It could possibly be shortened as you will have removed a layer of batteries. Shoot a bit of matt black stealth fighter paint on it and bobs your uncle...

Reactions: JohnCade

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
thanks YD. Still thinking about making a custom cable between the controller and the LCD and hide it inside the downtube. Suggestions welcome. Wireless maybe?

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Looks terrific Trex.

I've been searching for years for an unobtrusive, lightweight set up like this to fit to my Scott Sportster that has been gathering dust since I got my ProConnect.

I'm sure this would be very popular if it was available as a complete kit. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Having never really looked this kind of set up before, the bike that you have built, really intrigues me, and I might add something like this to a 'to make' list.

I'm very used to carrying a pack back of roughly 5kg including a spare battery, and rather than fitting the battery to the bike, I quite like the idea of a discreet and possibly curved back pack battery.

What solutions are available in respect of that train of thought?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having never really looked this kind of set up before, the bike that you have built, really intrigues me, and I might add something like this to a 'to make' list.

I'm very used to carrying a pack back of roughly 5kg including a spare battery, and I'm wonder whether rather than fitting the battery to the bike, I quite like the idea of a discreet and possibly curved back pack battery.

Back in 2007 Team Hybrid had a BMX e-bike team doing stunts, and they used the Crystalite rear hub motors with backpack batteries. I'm sure the batteries at that time wouldn't have been anything specially shaped and they seemed comfortable enough doing stunt jumps with the battery weight in their back packs.

It seems a good battery carrying solution for this kind of performance e-bike.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon

I'm very used to carrying a pack back of roughly 5kg including a spare battery, and rather than fitting the battery to the bike, I quite like the idea of a discreet and possibly curved back pack battery.

I too have no problem carrying weight on my back, so I've experimented with a back pack battery.

What's great is that the bike remains as close to a bike as its possible to be. Handling is vastly improved, as the battery weight is controlled by your body.

There are down sides. Safety for one (never bothered me), discomfort if not used to carrying stuff and slight extra hassle (putting back pack on, connecting cable).

I used mine with a 20ah 36v battery, although I confess that I've never covered vast distances on it.

I may yet build a folder. I would go backpack battery on that.

Reactions: EddiePJ
C

Cyclezee

We are going to have a back pack battery to power a rear hub motor on this downhill bike....but only to get it up hill.

This is the pre production model, the frame was designed and made in Milton Keynes.
IMG_20151127_162900.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you try jump that with a rear hub motor you must be bonkers pm me when its ready ;)

C

Cyclezee

you try jump that with a rear hub motor you must be bonkers pm me when its ready ;)
Downhill racing is already bonkers, in my previous occupation I helped with the facial reconstruction of a downhill racer who collided with a tree.

If you want to order the human only powered version, just send a cheque, the price comes to five figures....before the decimal point;)

Reactions: mountainsport

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im not paying to brake it ill just give u back whats left of it after a test ride.

;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Eddie, I think 15kg is the magic number. You can carry your bike over puddles etc. I was looking at the picture of your e-race P and thought that carrying a battery in the backpack for a rear-hub E-MTB makes sense.
To the drawing board for a good looking 15kg e-MTB. Don't think it can be done for under £1,000 though. I am looking at the Giant Talon 0 RC now.

C

Cyclezee

im not paying to brake it ill just give u back whats left of it after a test ride.

;)
Thanks for the offer, but there is already an orderly queue of crash test dummies who don't need psychostimulants ready and willing to try and destroy ito_O

By the way, can anyone see why the pre production version shown in the photo above won't work:confused:

C

Cyclezee

Yes, it's got no transmission.

But it will still work downhill of course!
I knew you would be the first to spot that Tony, but I was also expecting something a little more specific;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i can brake my xd hub jumping my bike i dont think a hub motor will take the jumps very well.