Does the Bosch Purion display have a USB outlet?

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Does anyone know if the Bosch Purion display has a micro USB socket for charging a smartphone like the Intuvia and Nyon?

I'm looking at buying an eMTB and somd of the bikes I'm considering have the Purion but if it doesn't have a USB socket then that would be a deal breaker.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Surely it would be easier to upgrade to either a Nyon or Intuvia i do have a Nyon and i personally think it's a very good display and works well i do enjoy the maps and the custom riding screens to

Reactions: Twinkleten

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the purion has usb but it is for data only with the Intuvia it can power a device ie hold what charge it has but i found it wont fully charge a device only keep what is in the batt.

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
I got a top tube mounted phone case that holds the phone well and has space for a USB battery pack so can charge at the same time.

I have heard the Intuvia charging port can be temperamental for phones due to the limited amperage.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
5v 500ma

• Informative
Reactions: 2Lazy

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Surely it would be easier to upgrade to either a Nyon or Intuvia i do have a Nyon and i personally think it's a very good display and works well i do enjoy the maps and the custom riding screens to
I'd certainly upgrade to Intuvia if that is an option. I'm aware that the two systems are interchangeable but I don't know how much an upgrade to Intuvia would add to the purchase price.

In regards to Nyon I'm sceptical about how useful it will be for off road use or even for cyclepaths. It all depends on whether the Nyon maps provide the same level of detail as Open Cyle Maps. Anything less detailed would be a downgrade on ViewRanger using Open Cycle Maps. I know that when Nyon was first launched it was next to useless for off road as it didn't show bridleways and byways etc., but they may have improved the mapping since then

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I got a top tube mounted phone case that holds the phone well and has space for a USB battery pack so can charge at the same time.

I have heard the Intuvia charging port can be temperamental for phones due to the limited amperage.
Yes I have a similar set up on my two other bikes, small top tube mounted bag for USB battery pack, and handlebar mount for my iPhone, which works well. The option to charge the phone from the Bosch/Yamaha display would be neater though.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
the purion has usb but it is for data only with the Intuvia it can power a device ie hold what charge it has but i found it wont fully charge a device only keep what is in the batt.
Thanks for the info, that's useful to know. Holding the charge would be fine as I usually ensure my phone is fully charged before going on a ride. As long as it holds its charge when GPS is in use I can dispense with the need for an external battery pack.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it should keep it going for as long as the batt on the bike lasts imo not sure how power hungry a iphone is tbh.

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
depending on which Iphone and ios you have the GPS does work in airplane mode so saving loads of battery and no annoying calls coming through when you are enjoying the bike ride
this works on my Iphone 6 not sure if earlier ones work

• Informative
Reactions: 2Lazy

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
depending on which Iphone and ios you have the GPS does work in airplane mode so saving loads of battery and no annoying calls coming through when you are enjoying the bike ride
this works on my Iphone 6 not sure if earlier ones work
That's useful to know. I also have the iPhone 6 and I use View Ranger running Open Cycle Maps with the map tiles already downloaded for my local area. As such I usually have no need for a cellular connection when out on a ride so I'll switch it into airplane mode in future.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the i phone wants 5v at 1000ma to charge so it will only be getting half that from the display.

so the more you use it will still run down just half as slow.