Dogs and bikes

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Thinking about getting a second bike so that my wife and I can cycle around together but we would also like to get another dog as our border terrier died last year. Our worry is how we marry the two interests together? We would go for a border terrier again and I just wondered if anybody had experience of transporting a dog about? There are certain walks around here I used to take the dog to by car and then walk along forest tracks for miles; well I could do the same with the bike and then push and ride along the tracks while the dog walked but it wouldn't really be practical to do that with a trailer, would it?
I've looked at the various methods of transportation but your experiences would be appreciated.

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thinking about getting a second bike so that my wife and I can cycle around together but we would also like to get another dog as our border terrier died last year. Our worry is how we marry the two interests together? We would go for a border terrier again and I just wondered if anybody had experience of transporting a dog about? There are certain walks around here I used to take the dog to by car and then walk along forest tracks for miles; well I could do the same with the bike and then push and ride along the tracks while the dog walked but it wouldn't really be practical to do that with a trailer, would it?
I've looked at the various methods of transportation but your experiences would be appreciated.
Hi DJH,

I also have a border terrier, great dog, but thats another topic!

I made a clamp, about 3/4m long that clamps to the seat post, then drilled a hole in the end and tied a lead to it. He can then run on my inside and if he decides to stop I don't fall off (if holding onto a lead on the handlebars, I learnt the hardway!)

Let me know if you need anything else
Mark

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Issue 12 of Velovision magazine back in 2003 had a great muti-page article on transporting dogs, titled "Carrying your Canine", with many photos and accounts with all sizes and kinds of dogs on bikes, in trailers and even on a quad bike. Full of interest and funny too.

Worth getting a copy of this issue from them, its an interesting quarterly cycling magazine anyway:

Velovision issue 12

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear

Take a look at the Basil range of dog baskets, both front and rear rack fitting.

Border terrier is probably the maximum size you could safely transport as long as it never got too fat
otherwise......look at Poms, Yorkies, mini daxies......if you like borders you would LOVE a dachshund :D

My daxies used to love going in a rear basket but nowadays the Poms prefer to stay curled up warm in the van and wait till I come back !

Lynda :)

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Thanks everybody so far ................so much useful info! Steve, that website is great and scotty I don't think I'll be trying to emulate James although it does show what is possible with a dog (in extremis).Now.................to find a bike to fit the dog!!!!!

D

Deleted member 4366

I was riding through the town park the other day and a guy had his dog on a long leash tied to his bike. I could hardly keep up and he wasn't even pedalling. It was only a small dog, so a decent sized dog should be pretty good fun.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
If I tried to take my Jack Russell out with me on my bike I would the nearest thing to being a Kamikaze pilot and I would last about 3 minutes before he dragged me off if I was doing well. He just loves to run around in circles, not good when you are on a bike.

Last edited:

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
If I tried to take my Jack Russell out with me on my bike I would the nearest thing to being a Kamikaze pilot and I would last about 3 minutes before he dragged me off if I was doing well. He just loves to run around in circles, not good when you are on a bike.
Made me laugh over breakfast this morning. A vision of this dog tying your bike in knots and you trying to keep your composure. That sort of thing normally happens just when somebody is walking past and gives a disapproving look!
We will be getting a pup, so will try and train her to be bike friendly.

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Just to re-inforce the notion that the dog/bike in harmony thing tends not to work - I have a wonderful black labrador, the calmest gentlest beast on the planet and he and I used to go out together - me on the bike with him in one of these extending leads.

He was as good as gold for a year trotting effortlessly alongside me on the bike when one day he saw a cat and whoosh!! - shot in front of the bike/ front wheel goes to 90 degrees/ I tip over like a bag of cement/ land on the edge of a handy pallet/ result : broken ribs and an offer to play a part in the next Mr Bean movie.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
He was as good as gold for a year trotting effortlessly alongside me on the bike when one day he saw a cat and whoosh!! - shot in front of the bike/ front wheel goes to 90 degrees/ I tip over like a bag of cement/ land on the edge of a handy pallet/ result : broken ribs and an offer to play a part in the next Mr Bean movie.
Judging by our previous dog, who was obsessed with rabbits, I wouldn't dare attach a dog to the bike otherwise I could enter the Guiness Book of records as the only ebiker to go down a rabbit hole!

philthom

Just Joined
Jun 8, 2011
conwy wales
I have a border collie and after having spent a little time with her to get used to running beside a bike,I would say that a bike's pace suits her better than "normal" walking. There is no need to use a lead as she does not move from my side even when I have to travel along "A" roads for short distances.