Downtube folders

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Does anyone here own one of these American folders, or have any knowledge about them?

I'm particularly interested in the 9FS full suspension model?

There used to be a UK distributor for them called Chocolate Velo but it seems to have gone belly up, or the bikes just haven't gone mainstream here for some reason.

It's surprising really as they represent very good value for money and have a clever design and light weight...

It's not like there's alot of competition either for 20" full suspension bikes in the UK is there? What do we have? Dahon JetStream..that's about it? Unless you're prepared to pay a fortune.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes they look interesting bikes. Plenty of info over on the folding section of the bikeforums.

The only other full suspension 20 incher is probably the Moulton. The Swift (no suspension) I think is very comfortable if you use big apple tires and is a very quick bike even in its stock form. I have been riding mine the last few weeks to work and I am really liking it. For the money (its about half the price of a Moulton) I think it is excellent value for money (the guy on ebay is open to offers :p )and unlike the Moulton there is a good chance it will still be there when you return if you lock it up and leave it.

These also seem to be on special offer at the moment.

Jango flik. Never ridden one but they are sprung both ends, 16" wheels though.

PS there is also the Pacific Reach 20" sprung both ends but again very expensive new, though they do come up second hand on ebay.

Ah I see you posted on the folding forum!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Yes they look interesting bikes. Plenty of info over on the folding section of the bikeforums.

The only other full suspension 20 incher is probably the Moulton. The Swift (no suspension) I think is very comfortable if you use big apple tires and is a very quick bike even in its stock form. I have been riding mine the last few weeks to work and I am really liking it. For the money (its about half the price of a Moulton) I think it is excellent value for money (the guy on ebay is open to offers :p )and unlike the Moulton there is a good chance it will still be there when you return if you lock it up and leave it.

These also seem to be on special offer at the moment.

Jango flik. Never ridden one but they are sprung both ends, 16" wheels though.

PS there is also the Pacific Reach 20" sprung both ends but again very expensive new, though they do come up second hand on ebay.

Ah I see you posted on the folding forum!

Regards

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, that Jango is an interesting looking design! So there are some options then but you have to hunt about for bargains a bit it seems.

I posted to put the feelers out about the Downtube bikes as I have a business interest in the UK distribution as you probably saw from my other post!

I wasn't going to say anything here about that, and get peoples hopes up of cheap 9FS Downtubes landing in UK yet.. but I've had an interesting discussion with Dr Yan Lyansky the creator of the Downtubes bikes on the phone earlier this week about the UK distribution situation. I'm exploring options with him still..

I've seen a couple of very positive reviews on the Downtube carried out in a UK magazine and the folding bike society I think it was. I plan to get hold of one shortly and check it out myself. Now I've owned and ridden a Dahon JetStream (all be it briefly) and have my Mezzo, I have something to compare a 9FS against!

What do you make of the Nova's Jerry? They look good value light bikes nicely designed minimal design 20" bikes for the money..only about 10kg or so I think.. probably comparing favourably with the Dahon Uno for low weight, as that bike really is minimal so is cheating a bit with the 9.something kg weight!

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I would love to try a Downtube. As you say they have good reviews and weight looks good.

If considering e-assist you would need to find out rear and front dropout spacing.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Actually a search on ebay for 20" full suspension comes up with quite a few cheapies.

suspension folding bike | eBay

Jerry
That's the thing Jerry.. You know how it is with Chinese bikes (I know from my first 26" folder a Chinese cheapie) there's good and bad Chinese manufacturing.. all bikes come from China, but there's a huge difference in build quality and finish between factories eh. I wonder where Downtube sits.. from the pics and reviews, it looks like it's on a par with Dahon for quality almost..with just cheaper components.. only way to be sure is to get hold one of I guess or speak to owners!

Price wise it definitely sits in the budget end of the market.. maybe that's why the big bike retailers haven't embraced it..

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep relooking at that ebay listing they are heavy and pretty cheap quality.

Agreed as with all small folders, they need to be test ridden first!

I have hunted high and low and tried a lot. For me if I could only have one it would still be the Brompton. The Swift and the Brompton tend to cover all the bases for me and and I will soon be thinning the herd. That is until I get the bug to try something else, probably a Downtube if you get hold of one :)

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
With my 26" folder (cost £130...makes you wonder how importers can do that and still turn a profit eh!) I wasn't expecting much for that price..but was pleasantly surprised..the bike rides well and its well made in terms of it not going to fall apart and looks pleasing on the eye..but the quality of the finishing when you get close up in places (paint run etc) is lacking and you can tell its an unbranded mass produced bike with poor quality control..

I guess that's the thing with the Downtube.. it's a budget bike but on a higher price level when you look at importing costs unless done on large scale.. so the finish quality has to be right.

You gets what you pays for eh.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Looked at the Velo Chocolate blog and was going to link to it, but there is a lot of naked people riding bicycles on it lol

His Downtube certainly looks nice. LMAO now that sounds wrong in this context. Will probably get hauled up for surfing dodgy sites at work.

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Looked at the Velo Chocolate blog and was going to link to it, but there is a lot of naked people riding bicycles on it lol

His Downtube certainly looks nice. LMAO now that sounds wrong in this context. Will probably get hauled up for surfing dodgy sites at work.

Jerry
Hehe :D That's the old design I think isn't it with the chrome instead of black finish.. I've to contact that guy (Sam) myself who runs the blog and store, but he's totally unresponsive. I just assumed the business has closed down and site abandoned etc.

I tried to discuss with Yan what went wrong with Velo Chocolate...but couldn't get to the bottom of it.. the long and short of it was, he took on too many projects (sounds like me!) and is no longer active in that market or interested in distributing current models.. I think he still has some old stock though to sell. I'm wondering if that's due to his own business situation, or something to do with the bikes and the pricing not working right over here.

I'll have to try getting Sam on the phone and see what he's got available and if he can explain why he's pulling out of the Downtube distribution.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Review here. As always its a mixed bag.

Are the newest ones really around 10kg ?

14kg weight seems to be the main complaint on older reviews ?

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

Jerry
Cheers Jerry, that's exactly the review I was thinking of, but been unable to find it! Saw it while looking for folding candidate for conversion before I did my 26". I considered buying the 9FS from Velo Chocolate but I wanted the latest black finish and he's lack of response etc just put me off in the end.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Saying that, about the black stem/handlebar preference..although I think it looks more modern.. the chrome is probably more sensible on a folder..I imagine chrome will keep tidy over time whereas the black tends to scratch up.. My Mezzo is andoised with a thick layer so has stayed looking good but even that scratches if knocked hard enough..

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
This page indicates 12kg.

Need to get on with some work lol

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep saw that one. Older models indicate 14kg.

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

Are the newest ones really around 10kg ?

14kg weight seems to be the main complaint on older reviews ?

Jerry
Oh I was speaking of the Nova on the 10kg weight..Yan says they're around 24lbs which brings them in at < 10.8kg. The current 9FS is 27lbs...that's 12.3kg. not bad at all for a full supension 20" eh? I think that's about the same weight as the JetStream if memory serves...

I wonder if moving from steel/chrome parts to all aluminimum on the current line (hence the black finish) has reduced the weight down a lot since those old models.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
For a full suspension yes. My Moulton has a steel frame and only weighs 12kgs. These small differences in weight don't really matter on bikes, but DO when you want to carry them.

My Brompton Ti WITH e-assist fitted weighs around 11.5kg. Battery and controller in the bag of course.

Only rear suspension of course.

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
For a full suspension yes. My Moulton has a steel frame and only weighs 12kgs. These small differences in weight don't really matter on bikes, but DO when you want to carry them.

My Brompton Ti WITH e-assist fitted weighs around 11.5kg. Battery and controller in the bag of course.

Only rear suspension of course.

Regards

Jerry
Phew 11.5kg! I wish my Mezzo build would end up weighing something like that.. it's heavy even without the battery on.. I've yet to weigh it with motor on, but I think it started off at a disadvantage being 12.4kg from factory.. I'm still toying with the idea of doing your approach and sacrificing the power for a smaller motor.. weighing 1.6kg or something like that..as opposed to the 3kg Q100.. when you're planning to carry it any distance, as you say, these few kg's makes a big difference..I have 2 flights of stairs to content with everyday with mine! Doesn't do my knee any good and I'm facing surgery in a few weeks time so will need many weeks or months to get back to form :S

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Jerry what's your favourite folder out of your growing collection?..the Brompton I'm guessing? But how much difference does full suspension make to you on 16"-20" wheels?

When I rode the Dahon JetStream I was expecting a much more bouncy comfortable ride but found the suspension quite rigid and hardly noticeable.. however going up and down curbs, that's where it made a big difference.. It really cushioned those bumps.

I think a good suspension method is bikes on the seat, like the Raleigh Choppers had.. those bikes were so comfortable to ride with the big springs :D