E-bike accessories and clothing and running costs (extreme shopping frenzy)

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
I have added a fair few extras to my Woosh Rio..This includes Marathon Plus tyres, mavic crossmax front wheel, suspension seat post, Comfy seat, Lights, Helmet, cam, Five Ten shoes, Rucksack, Decent rain ware, upgraded disc pads, upgraded chain, stupidly loud air horn , Various tools and a bag frame. The grand total is a mind-blowing £850 lol.
I am using the bike most days to commute to work so the grand price of £2000 including bike still seems good value. It's frightening when you start adding everything up.

Reactions: LeighPing and sjpt

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
A pannier rack and rack bag I find useful for commuting, somewhere to stash all of the different wet/cold weather gear you'll need for all year round riding. You might ride in on a warmer dry morning, only for it to be cold and lashing it down for the ride home later in the day.
Oh, and you'll need some new boxers for when those Marathon Pluses give way on cold wet mornings ;)

• Informative
Reactions: atheo and LeighPing

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have added a fair few extras to my Woosh Rio..This includes Marathon Plus tyres, mavic crossmax front wheel, suspension seat post, Comfy seat, Lights, Helmet, cam, Five Ten shoes, Rucksack, Decent rain ware, upgraded disc pads, upgraded chain, stupidly loud air horn , Various tools and a bag frame. The grand total is a mind-blowing £850 lol.
I am using the bike most days to commute to work so the grand price of £2000 including bike still seems good value. It's frightening when you start adding everything up.
I'd get rid of the air horn. Recently, a guy ended up with costs of over £100,000 and lost his house after using one. He used it twice to let pedestrians crossing against a red light know that he was coming. One pedestrian who had already crossed suddenly jumped back into his path and banged her arm. The judge said that the cyclist knew there were pedestrians around because he had used his horn twice, so he should have stopped, even though his traffic lights were green and the pedestrian's was red.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Sounds great, but that is almost what my bike cost new in 2017, with almost all the possible extras other than the GPS tracker, which I already had two of!
A GPS tracker appears to be missing from your list, as well as a loud burglar alarm! Two (or three, some people fit two different electronic alarms nowadays, just in case) important things, that I do not see as being extras, but being a requirement in this day and age!
Have you considered such things?
Regards,
Andy
PS. Sadly, I myself did not find a horn that was loud enough for proper safety. But an air horn, as second tier to the bell required here, might be a really good idea, thanks for the tip!

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
Sounds great, but that is almost what my bike cost new in 2017, with almost all the possible extras other than the GPS tracker, which I already had two of!
A GPS tracker appears to be missing from your list, as well as a loud burglar alarm! Two (or three, some people fit two different electronic alarms nowadays, just in case) important things, that I do not see as being extras, but being a requirement in this day and age!
Have you considered such things?
Regards,
Andy
PS. Sadly, I myself did not find a horn that was loud enough for proper safety. But an air horn, as second tier to the bell required here, might be a really good idea, thanks for the tip!
This horn is overkill but handy for people with headphones on ... https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bells-horns/samui-air-zound-3-rechargeable-horn/
My bike is locked in a pretty secure garage at home and inside my workplace in the day. A tracker and alarm are not on my list yet. I feel the most likely way I would get the bike stolen is by a group of chavs highjacking the bike from me.

Brittas

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2020
I'd get rid of the air horn. Recently, I guy ended up with costs of over £100,000 and lost his house after using one. He used it twice to let pedestrians crossing against a red light know that he was coming. One pedestrian who had already crossed suddenly jumped back into his path and banged her arm. The judge said that he knew there were pedestrians around because he had used his horn twice, so he should have stopped, even though his traffic lights were green and the pedestrian's was red.
Sounds like this wasn't just horn related. I only use mine a fair distance away from people as it could make them jump.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This horn is overkill but handy for people with headphones on ... https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bells-horns/samui-air-zound-3-rechargeable-horn/
My bike is locked in a pretty secure garage at home and inside my workplace in the day. A tracker and alarm are not on my list yet. I feel the most likely way I would get the bike stolen is by a group of chavs highjacking the bike from me.
Sounds good. The alarm I have has a remote control, so I could activate it as someone rides off on my bike, but not needed up to now though!
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bloke didn't loose his house or did it cost him 100k.
The final outcome was he did get legal help and counter sued, the ending was both were found liable 50/50. The claim amount was reduced and the guy had to fork out about 3.5k from his own pocket to cover liability, the rest of the money came via a funding page set up online. I think in the end the lady got about 4.5k compo.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The bloke didn't loose his house or did it cost him 100k.
The final outcome was he did get legal help and counter sued, the ending was both were found liable 50/50. The claim amount was reduced and the guy had to fork out about 3.5k from his own pocket to cover liability, the rest of the money came via funding page set up online. I think in the end the lady got about 4.5k compo.
thanks. I never heard anything after the original case was reported. Still, £3,500 for using a horn is a lot. If he hadn't have used it, as was implied by the judges comments, he could have used the reasonable excuse that he thought the way was clear.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the fact he used it sealed the fact that he did see her, his time may have been better spent braking or trying to avoid her rather then using the horn.

Reactions: richtea99

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
It may seem a lot, but compare it to what you'd be spending on a car and it's cheap by comparison. Buy a new car and you've blown thousands just driving it away from the dealership. Then you have tax, MOT, insurance, maintenance costs, fuel and of course you don't get any exercise, so you have to add gym membership :)

I wouldn't bother with an air horn. But I would get a horn, not for pedestrians, but for cars. Car drivers won't hear a bicycle bell, yet they do need to be warned that you need space.

I use one of these wired in to the auxiliary power connector of the controller, with a switch on the handlebars:

These work well from 36 to 60V.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
When I had my bike stolen I was paid out but it didn’t include and extras. With panniers, rack, lights etc this came to around £600. Bare this in mind if you have it insured.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
When I had my bike stolen I was paid out but it didn’t include and extras. With panniers, rack, lights etc this came to around £600. Bare this in mind if you have it insured.
Though I myself have been lucky, and never had a bike stolen, I would not think of going anywhere without two locks and one alarm.
Andy

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Though I myself have been lucky, and never had a bike stolen, I would not think of going anywhere without two locks and one alarm.
Andy
Well, I had one lock and one alarm. They cut the lock and rode off with the alarm sounding.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Well, I had one lock and one alarm. They cut the lock and rode off with the alarm sounding.
That is EXACTLY the reason I have two good Bike locks and a hidden alarm and a GPS!
The locks need to be high quality to give time for the alarm to sound well before they are riding! One that at least resists a cutting disk, and bolt cutters.
My alarm is VERY sensitive to the slightest vibration. Even strong wind gusts will occasionally set it off!
But as I said, it hasn't been stolen yet!
Maybe the two locks put them off!!;):) I really don't know for certain.....
Andy

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I'd get rid of the air horn. Recently, a guy ended up with costs of over £100,000 and lost his house after using one. He used it twice to let pedestrians crossing against a red light know that he was coming. One pedestrian who had already crossed suddenly jumped back into his path and banged her arm. The judge said that the cyclist knew there were pedestrians around because he had used his horn twice, so he should have stopped, even though his traffic lights were green and the pedestrian's was red.
There is more to the story than was originally reported. The £100,000 costs was a bit of spin & media exaggeration. The guy eventually settled & most of it was covered by a crowdfunding appeal. The judge had ruled that both were equally to blame for the accident on a busy junction near London Bridge, but only the pedestrian was entitled to a payout because she had put in a claim and the cyclist had not. https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/feb/24/cyclist-settles-for-30000-pounds-after-hitting-pedestrian-who-was-looking-at-phone

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
That is EXACTLY the reason I have two good Bike locks and a hidden alarm and a GPS!
The locks need to be high quality to give time for the alarm to sound well before they are riding! One that at least resists a cutting disk, and bolt cutters.
My alarm is VERY sensitive to the slightest vibration. Even strong wind gusts will occasionally set it off!
But as I said, it hasn't been stolen yet!
Maybe the two locks put them off!!;):) I really don't know for certain.....
Andy
Slightly different, but I had a Triumph Street Triple with less than 400 miles on the clock.
Full Thatcham Datatag alarm, secure gold chain and disc lock all in use. Parked for less than fifteen minutes, came back and all that remained was the chain & lock, neatly cut through with a cordless angle grinder. Apparently the bike was lifted into a waiting van.
If they want your bike badly enough.... NOTHING will stop the thieving FECKERS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There is more to the story than was originally reported. The £100,000 costs was a bit of spin & media exaggeration. The guy eventually settled & most of it was covered by a crowdfunding appeal. The judge had ruled that both were equally to blame for the accident on a busy junction near London Bridge, but only the pedestrian was entitled to a payout because she had put in a claim and the cyclist had not. https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/feb/24/cyclist-settles-for-30000-pounds-after-hitting-pedestrian-who-was-looking-at-phone
Thanks for the update. £3000 is still a very expensive air horn.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Slightly different, but I had a Triumph Street Triple with less than 400 miles on the clock.
Full Thatcham Datatag alarm, secure gold chain and disc lock all in use. Parked for less than fifteen minutes, came back and all that remained was the chain & lock, neatly cut through with a cordless angle grinder. Apparently the bike was lifted into a waiting van.
If they want your bike badly enough.... NOTHING will stop the thieving FECKERS
What is definite is that it also depends where you live, and where you park your bike. I live in Germany, in a small village, that is probably less attractive to thieves, whereas Frankfurt, only 40 Kms away, probably attracts more attention.
I really believe that the CENTER of ANY system to prevent theft, must be a VERY LOUD alarm, and a friend of mine has two different ones on his bike, he has also not lost a bike while living and working in Frankfurt.
Just how much alarm(s) "help", I cannot guess and I do not know, but as others here will tell you, I mention alarms just about every time someone loses a bike and posts here.
So sadly, it is still not the "norm" for many e-bikers who post here.
I did read of someone, in the UK I believe, that had live fireworks as an alarm (most effective I would guess), and it was said, that the thief had to go and change his pants, but that may have just been funny embellishment! It also sounds quite dangerous for the owner, if something went wrong.
I personally like the way you can set up a GPS tracker, for several different options (at least the Trackers I have owned and used), and they also need to be part of preventing bike theft in my view, and may even reduce insurabß´nce costs (just guessing on that point!):-
1) Sleep mode, that wakes up on physical movement, calling "home" to tell you that. I use the USB power supply on my bike, to keep the internal battery charged. Sensitivity adjustable.
2) Tracking of the tracker is very easy with really simple, and cheap, Android software. It is so accurate, that you can see in which lane the tracker is in, on a multi lane road/motorway. So in use, you have positioning infos down to a few meters.....
3) There are GPS Trackers for cars and motorbikes, with a relay, that can be triggered to OFF, exactly when the owner wishes, say stopping the fuel pump on a vehicle, and/or switching off the ignition. This might even be used on certain e-bikes, to safely remove battery power, for example. Though I have up to now, not bought one of these (simply because I did not know there were such units at the time I bought a Tracker!) It could even be used for when you are close to the position of your bike, to switch on a hidden, but loud alarm!
There are other features that could possibly be useful for an e-bike (any bike) owner.....
I simply ask why do people "concentrate" on known problems, by ignoring the fact that disk cutting of bike locks is a well known and therefore a prime example, but they COMPLETELY forget alarms and GPS Trackers.......
It seems so obvious to me personally, but it obviously isn't that obvious, or more people would fit and use them.
One caveat is that car GPS Trackers, will be more difficult to hide on a bike, as they are a little bit larger that true bike versions (or they were some years ago). Though I myself have actually only bought "Personal GPS Trackers" and fitted them to my bike......
Some further, up to date investigation, is needed by people with something to lose......
Do be careful, some trackers advertised as being GPS, are NOT GPS, they are simply Mobil phone towers tracked, and in a city that may get you down to 50 meters or so, but out in the country it might be Kilometers.....Ebay sellers always NEED to be asked several times, before they MIGHT admit this. Those units are useless. The ones you will need are generally above 20 UK Pounds each!!
This might be a genuine one, and if true, the prices have dropped over the last few years:-
I would recommend asking for a download of the manual before buying. The accuracy is suspect, as in my experience, a true GPS Tracker should be far more accurate than being claimed here. So it may just be GSM Phone towers.
What is good to see is that it can handle 12 - 36 volts, and that it has two connectors, one for power, and the other one can drive a relay coil, though this has not been mentioned, which is the reason for needing to read the manual before purchase....
This one looks better, USB Charging socket and relay control leads, but it is in German, so those who don't will need to find the English version on ebay.co.uk:-
If I can answer any questions anyone may have about GPS, give me a call! I do not know everything, but I will do my best for you.
By the way, a GPS Tracker, is almost a mobile phone, and with certain models you can switch on a microphone and hear sounds from where the tracker is, also, you can also switch on a loudspeaker, for example when you want to talk to your child or elderly parent.....
I find them fascinating.....
regards
Andy
PS. The thieving FECKERS need to be stopped, we all must be a tick cleverer than the thieves!

Reactions: MontyPAS