e-bike article in Saturday's Telegraph with comments. The good the bad and the ugly!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/riding-e-bike-actually-does-health/

Are you an e-bike owner? Tell us about your experience in the comments section below

Comments

brian 3 DAYS AGO

I have had an Obea gain for several months. Despite the long wait for delivery, I am delighted to be able to ride further and more often. The combination of gears and being able to vary the support is ideal. Cannot wait for warmer weather to try longer trips.

Rosemary 7 DAYS AGO

My Emu e-bike is hugely beneficial. I now barely use my car, and ride nearly every day, plus occasional adventures of 20 miles plus. I’m over 55 and due to a weak hip I walk with a limp and an ordinary bike is too difficult to be able to ride safely. Non weight bearing exercise is perfect for me. For the first time in my life I have found an exercise I actually enjoy, even crave. I’ve had an emotionally difficult time over the past few years and the fact that I can get outside and exercise with such pleasure is very helpful indeed.

Stephen 7 DAYS AGO

My partner & I didn't used to enjoy cycling together as our natural speeds are very different leading to arguments about waiting up etc. However ebikes have made for a much more harmonious experience. We now both cycle happily at 15mph as to go any faster is hard work as you lose the assistance. As a result in the last 3 years with ebikes we have happily covered well over 1,000 miles a year together.

steve 7 DAYS AGO

I wonder if Simon had much experience of riding a normal bike before he hopped on a supercharged one. It’s not just about being able to balance the thing.

Barbara 7 DAYS AGO

When I read that a doctor advised a man, after a cardiac arrest, not to cycle again it threw doubt in my mind about the whole article as surely doctors would want you to exercise to improve your heart muscle!!

Incidentally, my husband cycles almost every day and would not cheat by having an E bike and also greatly resents that MAMILS term. Seems rather like Misandry !

I am an advocate, an 85 year old living in the hilly Cotswolds my Trek Dual Sport has improved my health and fitness. During lock down it kept me sane. I average 2.5K each year, breathing in good fresh air, enjoying the beautiful Cotswolds and benefitting my health. I used to swim and exercise in local leisure health centre but my ebike is so much better in every respect. You will soon think an ebike your best ever purchase.

Police in Norway stopped Sigrid Krohn de Lange running down a street in Bergen, because they thought she had escaped from a nursing home. The 94-year-old jogger was out getting fit." The Irish Independent.

Ian 7 DAYS AGO

You fail really to differentiate between pedal assist ebikes and twist and go.

We bought our ebikes due to increasing age, having spent many years riding ordinary bikes.

With our bikes we have to pedal or else nothing happens. The electric bit is only turned on when faced with a steep hill or when returning after a day out and facing a stiff wind. 25Kph uphill seems to be quite fast enough and downhill one can reach the same as a non ebike ( without the electrics needing to be switched on).

Sergeant 7 DAYS AGO

It would be interesting to know the views of those commenting on how they rate their particular make of e-bike. Looking at earlier Which reports they tend to review the motor and control system rather than the bike itself.

Bryan 7 DAYS AGO

My wife and I have Oxygen e-bikes which we bought when we lived in the Cotswolds. All roads from our village were uphill and we would never have been able to ride up them without some power assistance. Getting out on the bikes regularly allowed us to explore local villages that were too far to walk to and now we’re in Dorset we are doing the same thing. Our experience is that e-bikes give us more freedom and actually more exercise than a standard bike that never gets used.

Nigel7 DAYS AGO

The only problem I have on my ebike is that cars pull out in front of me because they can’t wait. I wonder how many cycle riders die in this situation? I cycle locally and misted up cars are everywhere. There lies our problem.

Peter 8 DAYS AGO

I think quite a few of the food delivery ebikers in London have had the bikes ‘chipped’ and delimited and can achieve far higher pedal assisted speeds than stock bikes

Stephen 7 DAYS AGO

Reply to Peter

If so they run the risk of being treated as an uninsured motor vehicle if committing an offence or being involved in an accident and getting points on their driving licence.

Colin 8 DAYS AGO

Why is Cowell sitting outside wearing a mask , is it to prevent a second arm break ?

Joseph 8 DAYS AGO

Like Roger Long - I'm almost 81 and ride my e bike two or three times a week. I go for about fifty miles each time and enjoy every moment. I have done almost 3000 miles on it and intend to do more. I peddle all the time I am riding even up the steepest hill. I am lucky as I emigrated to Florida ten years ago so benefit with the weather. It does get very hot and humid in summer so I shoot off early morning or late evening with loads of water in tow. I am also very lucky that in Florida whenever a new road is constructed is has to incorporate a cycle/walking paved trail separate from the road and so is safe. Also over here there are dedicated paved cycle trails that go for miles through the forests and connecting small towns. We even have a dedicated bridge over the I 75 motorway. It's a dream for cyclists.

REPLY 7

Roger 8 DAYS AGO

I’m 76 and did 4K miles on an e bike last year

I love it, silent and powerful

I live in the hilly Cotswold and the torque from the mid motor makes climbing fun

I’m more frail than the bike , but it makes me feel fit and enhances an otherwise sedentary existence

I have been biking all my life , but the e bike has enabled a life beyond my physical abilities

REPLY 7

Dalton 8 DAYS AGO

I'm 74, I have two motorcycles which make 147 and 160 bhp, but my only trip to the ER 10 years ago was in a bicycle accident - helmet was toast. I still ride my bicycles several times a week because I enjoy them and it is good cardio, but I really can't see the point of ebikes, neither the fitness of a bike or the utility of a m/c.

REPLY 4

David 8 DAYS AGO

e-biking is one of my main retirement activities. I do an hour or two a day, up to about 25 miles. Falling off is a concern, so I work on my balance with Yoga, my other main retirement activity. As I live most of the year in the US I have a bike here with no gears (Tucson is relatively flat). In the UK I e-bike around the Malvern Hills, so I have 9 gears!

REPLY 2

Am 8 DAYS AGO

Mine (electric assist - so I have to pedal) allows me to cycle all day with the family without being completely knackered and cantankerous at the end of the day. Win win! EDITED

REPLY 4

Steve 8 DAYS AGO

I am no environmental champion but mine does get me out of the car for my commute (16 miles round trip) and get some exercise, without really realising.

REPLY 5

Robert 8 DAYS AGO

I have a very cheap ebike. There is no throttle and is pedal assist only. It has only happened once but I treasure the moment on an uphill road I passed a lycra man. Breezed past him hardly drawing breath. Childish I know, but I loved every minute.

REPLY 9

Richard 8 DAYS AGO

We’ve used ebikes for a decade to get our children to school - after they became too heavy to cycle on an ordinary bike. Currently we’re in Trondheim, Norway and the ebike makes light of cycling through snow, as well as the hills. The city keeps the main cycle routes snow free so it’s ideal for our journeys in and around town. We have fitted snow tyres.

REPLY 5

Martin 8 DAYS AGO

I'm 68 and use the Pendleton cycle mentioned in the article. I love it, without the e-battery I would never have got back on a cycle, generally I use it on the lowest power option, so you still work, as I tire or hit head winds I up the power option. They do take off quickly but once you know it is not a problem, quite enjoyable in fact. There is also numerous manual gear options so it is a very versatile cycle and does feel like a good cardio workout. I stick to cycle lanes/shared pavement options as much as possible, so probably 95% of the time, Lincoln is fairy good for cycle lane options.

REPLY 6

Antonio 8 DAYS AGO

I love biking much more than walking or driving. But I am scared of cycling among motor vehicles; the stress of it zeroes any advantage and / or benefit of riding the bycicle.

Also, in my youth I were accustomed to a mindless parking of my bike, outside of shops, in buildings entrances, along the pavement, and so on. This is not possible today, especially with expensive electric bikes; this is another source of stress I don't want to cope with.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
For a period, I loaded the bike in the car, and drove a to car-free place (itself a contradiction) so I could bike for few hours; with the years it lost meaning, so I sold the bike, which had the best Shimano gear on it.

JP 8 DAYS AGO

Ebikes are great fun. Once you're over 15mph your doing all the work so unless you cycle very slowly you will be getting plenty of exercise.

REPLY 2

HH 8 DAYS AGO

Initially sceptical, I hired an e-bike and a normal bike in Provence last year.

It was a revelation and my 10 year old son and I were able to go for a morning’s exercise without worrying about being too tired. Very much an enabler of leisure and exercise.

Sarah 8 DAYS AGO

I have had an E bike for about four years. It is brilliant. I live in the countryside. It’s extremely hilly and I would not cycle a road bike as much as I do the electric bike. During lockdown it was an absolute godsend. I was able to cycle 2 to 3 miles to the shops, and do a full food shop carried in panniers on the back of it. Not so good in the winter but then I wouldn’t be cycling a road bike in the winter either.

I feel safer on the e-bike too, as the little bit of extra power makes the bike more stable on parts of the road where a traditional road bike might wobble and be more vulnerable to cars and their wing mirrors.

You get about 70% the fitness benefits from a road bike, (as measured by calories burned), but you will use it much more! Maximum distance I have cycled without re-charge, 40 miles.

Cannot recommend an E bike more.

Rosemary 7 DAYS AGO

Reply to Sarah

Hear hear…I also feel safer in traffic because I’m not struggling with gradients.

John 8 DAYS AGO

I live in the country and used to cycle to the nearest town for shopping, (14 mile round trip). Then, about ten years ago, I got a back injury through lifting over heavy sacks of wheat

My left ankle became paralysed. After operation and physiotherapy I could still ride the bike but couldn't support my weight with the duff ankle when I stopped.

Having fallen over 11 times I gave up and bought a tricycle.

It was, of course, much heavier so I could do longer do the distance to town. I fitted a bottom bracket motor and, with that assistance, I am back to supermarket shopping. I am 76.

Peter 8 DAYS AGO

If you’re fit enough to rid a regular bike, do so. If not, consider an electric bike.

Expat Brit8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Peter

I have both. Ebike for shopping, carrying beers and board game for a day out, or just casual riding (San Francisco is hilly!). Then a road bike for exercise. They can co-exist very happily.

Hilary 9 DAYS AGO

Does anybody else remember a velosolex? These are French bikes with a petrol motor. Had one in the 60s. Ebikes are lighter, but the petrol motor didn’t need reCharging, just refuelling.

Janice 8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Hilary

I used to go to school with one. The drawback was that the little gritty wheel that provided traction would wear off quite quickly and needed frequent changing.

Stephen 9 DAYS AGO

I love my e-bike, bought on Amazon, I have had 24mph on it. They are heavier but you don't notice that when you are on the move. The sheer joy of overtaking red faced, sweaty Lycra loons while going uphill is worth every penny. EDITED

A 9 DAYS AGO

My 63 yr old very fit & strong husband has just come home from a spinal rehabilitation centre after nearly 4 months. He was e-mountain biking with a similarly proficient & experienced group of friends in the edge of Exmoor, missed a turning (or caught a tree root) & fell 10 foot headfirst into a drainage ditch, breaking his C1/C2 & stopped breathing. Luckily he lives to tell the tale but may never be back to his original fitness or cycling again (too early to say); thankfully he is still his old, if more feeble. As for the e-bike, that may well have to be consigned to the local hedge….That was so nearly a retirement present that effectively killed him

Barbara Wix8 DAYS AGO

Reply to A

I'm sorry to hear of his accident, but this type of thing happens on ordinary bikes too. I know of someone who went over the handlebars of his road bike and broke his back, ending up paralysed. Many motorcyclists are involved in accidents too. Unfortunately, being on a bike of any type can be dangerous.

World Tramp8 DAYS AGO

Reply to A

There are always exceptions which prove the rule.

Andrew 9 DAYS AGO

I’ve got an e-scooter which is brilliant and has performance very similar to an e-bike. So can someone explain why it is illegal to ride one in the UK whereas an e-bike isn’t? Asking for a friend

Man Of Kent 8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Andrew

Plus the majority of them are morons riding on the pavement with scant regard for pedestrians.

World Tramp8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Man Of Kent

I'm not a moron, I'm in my 70s and use my electric scooter whenever I can, mainly to shop locally. It's brilliant and yes, I often ride on the pavements, but never when there is a pedestrian walking nearby. If there is, I get off and push.

Just because I'm an escooter rider, doesn't mean I'm an oaf with no regard for my fellow humans.

Don't assume escooter riders are all 'yoofs' out for kicks. Escooters are brilliant if you have foot problems or arthritis, enabling you to leave the car at home and use a less polluting form of transport.

Alice 9 DAYS AGO

I love, love, love my e-bike. I've had it for 3 years now and I'm 64 and with it I don't need a car at all. I go everywhere on it, and in all (reasonable) weather. In my town, which has quite a few traffic problems, I can get across town faster on a bike than in a car and certainly faster than using public transportation.

Everyone I know who has bought one has become an e-bike convert. Yes, I'm a bit naff with my panniers and baskets, but I can carry an amazing amount back from the shops. Since my bike (like most) has a speedometer, there is no excuse for excessive speeds. Most of the time I go between 10 and 14MPH

Michael 9 DAYS AGO

I bought an e road bike to get out & about at the start of lockdown. At 74, the hills of West Dorset had become too daunting for pleasure. I've now ebiked over 4000km and rediscovered the joy of cycling & wonder of the countryside. It has also kept me fitter at a time when the sofa began to seem attractive.

The best £3000 I've spent in a long time. How I wish I'd ignored the 'That's cheating' scoffs and done it earlier!

P A 8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Michael

£3000!?

IAN 9 DAYS AGO

Just a note. Don’t run out of power. They are heavy and if you ever do, I promise you won’t do it twice.

Moped Rider 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to IAN

On the flat it makes little difference as when up to cruising speed no power is used. In my case anyway. Agree that when it comes to inclines or when accelerating then the weight difference without power is noticeable.

IAN 9 DAYS AGO

I have had an e mountain bike for years. 500w Bosch battery. It’s brilliant. It does about 45 miles on a charge, that’s uphill and down dale. It gets you out on an evening when the lighter nights come and you can do 20/30 miles in a couple of hours when with an ordinary bike, you just wouldn’t have bothered.

I used to ride 180mph motorcycles, but packed them in when I reached sixty. My reactions weren’t up to the speed. Now at 70, the e bike does me fine.

Kaptain 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to IAN

You don't have to have a 180 MPH capable motorcycle ! A 500cc bike doesn't require Valentino Rossi reactions. Even the motorcycles that are really too fast for the road, can be ridden at sensible speeds. All depends on the riders control of their right wrist, but then what really is the point of such a bike on the road ?

But still if you enjoy the ebike, well I wish you well to ride it :-D

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
As for me, I've found larger capacity motorbikes easier to ride, the ones with lots of low end torque, and not the silly top end speed. Hardly have to change gear on my 96BHP 1200cc modern twin bike. It can't do 180 MPH , probably more like 130 , on a very long private runway, eventually ! But it gets up to road legal speeds very easily. As for it's top speed, I don't know from personal experience. 70 is more than enough for me :)

Soy Sauce 8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Kaptain

I've had 4 R1s, Gixxer 1000, Panigale (Which I hated) ZX10r which I loved, using a Tenere T700 now half the BHP but absolutely brilliant bike, had a couple of Multistradas probably get the V4 later this year, turn 60 in october probably get another R1 as well, plan to ride until at least 80 if not older, your reactions work on the use them or lose them basis, so all the research shows even as we age.

Helen 9 DAYS AGO

I love my e bike and definitely cycle far more than I did on my push bike. As the article says they are heavier so you have to adjust for that especially when stopping or waiting to cross.

They usually have different settings, to work harder I tend to keep mine on the eco setting but it’s lovely to be able to make things easier with just the push of a button.

P A 9 DAYS AGO

Exercise is a great way to stay fit, healthy and lose weight. Sorry, but I can’t see an electric bike being of much use in achieving this. I think an ordinary pushbike provides far more benefit to the body and mind. Electric bikes are for the lazy. I think of them as heart attack machines. Just my opinion as a 75 year old cyclist.

P A 7 DAYS AGO

Reply to

The point is thst you can'tget the benefits of exercise to the same degree. Some people would say getting in getting in a car and going to the shops is exercise.

"You've gotta stay in shape! My grandmother started walking 5 miles a day when whe was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is." Ellen DeGeneres.

P A 7 DAYS AGO

Reply to

Presumably, darling, you think tiddly winks is a beneficial physical activity.

P A 9 DAYS AGO

E bikes restricted to 15.5 km? I have been overtaken by ones doing 30mph. Illegal imports purchased on the Internet?

Kaptain 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to P A

The 250 watt ones are restricted to 15.5 MPH on the amount of electric assistance they can give, not KMPH. If you can pedal , then that isn't restricted to just 15.5 MPH.

Or rather on road use the untaxed, registered and licenced ones should be restricted to 15.5MPH max electric assistance. As you say higher powered ones are available, and they by UK law should be registered , taxed , insured , ridden by someone with at least a moped licence, and all the rest of the restrictions that moped riders need to abide by. Crash Helmet etc.

On the 250w ebikes, going down hill, say a 1 in 4, just like unassited pedal bikes they can get up to 30MPH, but then like all pedal bikes, and ebikes are heavier , the brakes aren't good enough. Trust me, I know. Hence why I prefer my motorcycles with huge brakes. EDITED

Moped Rider8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Kaptain

Ebikes these days have disc brakes front and back and even downhill at high speed in the wet they are very capable. The issue then is more about tyre grip and not sliding than anything to do with brakes not performing.

If the ebike of choice does not have disc brakes then it has been subject to cost cutting and the buyer should look at the specification more closely and maybe look elsewhere.

Note the cheap Halfords bike above is without disc brakes. The others have these. EDITED

Laurence 9 DAYS AGO

Why not call them what they really are; electric motor bikes.

Helen 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Laurence

Eh?

Bill 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Laurence

Because they aren’t. You have to pedal, same as any other bike. All they do is to assist you. You don’t have a throttle.

Robert 9 DAYS AGO

I've returned to cycling in London after giving up in my forties on moving to a very hilly part of South London. Bought a Moustache Samedi. I did topple over a couple of times when coming to a standstill, despite the step through frame. I was carrying a heavily loaded rucksack on my back. Soon got the hang of it, and invested in a proper pannier. The controller/nav takes me down new paths and roads after 23 years of living in the area. Expensive, and you need gold rated locks for the insurance, but worth it. And I have a titanium knee! EDITED

John 9 DAYS AGO

Surely they should be treated like any other motor vehicle and hence not have the new rights of the pedal cyclists.

IAN 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to John

If you don’t pedal,they don’t move.

Kaptain 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to John

they don't go that fast ! Although to me , that's the problem. They're still a slow moving vehicle causing congestion behind them. See I think they should be encourage to get 125cc motorbikes , that can easily keep up with the traffic on most roads. Okay 125cc bikes are a bit naff on dual carriageways and motorways, but elsewhere they're okay, and the route to getting a motorcycle worth riding :-D

Kaptain 9 DAYS AGO

they're okay. I've got one. Although to me they're under powered as compared to my 96 BHP and 148 BHP motorcycles :-D EDITE

Andrew 9 DAYS AGO

The expression "eyewateringly expensive" seems to have been left out of the article.

Why might that have been?

Michael 9 DAYS AGO

I bought my e bike in May 2020, during the first lockdown, and have never looked back. They are fantastic machines. Just about the best £1,500 I've ever spent. Having painful arthritic knees means I can't walk too far, so the bike has given me back off road freedom. Absolutely no strain on the knees whatever.

Paul 9 DAYS AGO

I love mine, able to ride all the bridleways around me and back to 30 mile rides again, I'm retired and it's got me back where I was 10 years ago.

Uncle 9 DAYS AGO

I have three bikes, an expensive racing bike, a cheap all rounder and a mid range electric. I only ride the electric now. My house is situated mid way up a steep hill. Doing a round trip I either start off struggling up on way out or back. Now with the electric no more struggling either way. Adjustable loweing of power assistance setting is useful if feeling energetic.

Cycling more now than I did and less car journeys for short trips

JJ 8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Uncle Bob

Except you are not really cycling at all. It’s not cheating, it’s just not cycling. Good on you for using it more though. EDITED

Barbara 9 DAYS AGO

We've cycled since a young age and were very impressed when hiring e-bikes on holiday in recent years, so we treated ourselves to one each just before Christmas. My OH's mountain bike from Decathlon is brilliant and powerful for the steep hills where we live. Unfortunately I was rather over confident trying mine out and fell off on day two ending up in A&E. I have only just tried it out again in a carpark. We live in Spain which is rather mountainous and hope one day to move to somewhere flatter as the hills are a bit of a killer these days. The bikes do weigh a ton as well, mine is about 22kgs which is quite heavy for a small five-footer.

My physio is Dutch (still having treatment on my twisted ankle injury) and said that there is no law to wear helmets in Holland, and has also mentioned the rise in elderly riders falling and hitting their heads when riding e-bikes as they're so much faster.

Richard 9 DAYS AGO

Four or five years ago I met with derision riding an e-bike in my cycling group but now there are five e-bikes and even the most hardened cyclists are looking at them with a new found respect especially for off-road and mountain biking trips as they make hills disappear!. As an overwieght 64 year old I previously wouldn't have imagined going on 50 mile rides but now I can. All I can say is get one.

JJ 8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Richard

At least you admit that the problem is your weight. First step in recovery.

William 9 DAYS AGO

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I've had an ebike for 8 years or so, and upgraded during that time. They are an amazing addition to my mobility choices especially in the better months of the year. Without doubt they are a positive addition to my life and exercise regime and recommend them to any open minded person. If we had some more national infrastructure for safer cycling which to be fair is getting better in many places, then they would be even more popular. I also can't understand why they have become so expensive in the years since I have been involved with them.

David 9 DAYS AGO

And the picture shows him, dressed in black, on black bike , on black road ..

And no helmet.. nuff said

REPLY4 REPLIES 15

m 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to David Rising

No need for a helmet cos he is a helmet

English 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Richard

I sometimes risk it with a latte, but I wouldn't recommend it.

nigel 9 DAYS AGO

What a strange article. All you need to know is that if you don't exercise much an e-Bike will be an excellent way to get out and get 'some' exercise. The chances of falling off are the same. There you go.

Iain 9 DAYS AGO

If you pootle around at less than 15mph then you will not be getting as much exercise on an e-bike as you would on a conventional bicycle however if, as many of us do, you tend to ride at about 20mph then you will be getting more exercise because you are riding what is effectively a very, very heavy conventional bicycle. My unassisted bicycle weighs around 9Kg (lighter versions are available) and my Cube 'shopping' e-bike weighs nearly 25Kg.

Stuart 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Iain

I think the idea that you don't get as much exercise on an e-bike is missing a couple of points. You don't have to use motor power on an e-bike all the time. You can choose assistance levels to suit how you are feeling at any instant, so I tend to have it off for most of a shorter ride but use it to get up hills that these days I couldn't using only muscle power. Even 4-5 mph up a steep hill is hard work.

Also, there is a misassumption that people cycle the same routes on an e-bike. You can go further afield without having to worry whether your knees, or body will be able to get you back home. Something that at 72 makes a big difference to me and allows me to go on more varied rides. I tend to cycle 25-30 miles on my main, standard road bike but I can do up to 65 miles on my e-bike. I can take it on the train on the outbound leg of a ride and then cycle back home. It makes a very pleasant day out (fish and chips on the beach)- something I am too old to do on my other bike.

And cycling, by whatever means, is good to keep your knees from seizing up. It strengthens the muscles to keep them working without the slack in the worn joints damaging them any further.

Uncle 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Stuart

Agree one hundred percent. I do trips for pleasure I would not have done before at all

Mummy 9 DAYS AGO

E bike…like riding a magic broomstick

John 9 DAYS AGO

I spent many years mountain biking but as I got older my range fell until I was only using my cycle to go to the paper shop (1 mile). I bought an e bike when I hit 70. I live in Mid Wales, so lots of hills. My cycling is transformed, I happily tackle hills knowing I can switch mode from tour to turbo if I begin to hurt.

Val 9 DAYS AGO

I bought a good looking ladies ebike during first lockdown, so was unable to try out prior … result being a good looking ladies ebike , used less than five times. Massively heavy, and uncontrollable for my five foot scared body! Cannot even lift it off the road onto a pavement. Hoping to sell it on gumtree- and save up for a well known fold up bicycle that has a lighter battery pack!

Peter 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Val

Was that an e-bike for good-looking ladies? Just wondering...

Val 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Val

A Volt Kensington- 15’’ frame … absolutely beautiful, but hopeless for me sadly!

john 9 DAYS AGO

Simon's plaster cast looks Hi Viz.

AJ 9 DAYS AGO

I bought a folding e-bike, after injuries (not bike related) reduced my fitness. I start off in normal and then as I get tired I use pedal assist, by the end I might be using pedal assist 3/4, as yet I haven’t used the full electric, but it gets me out and hopefully I will be able to get back to full mountain biking.

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to AJ

Well good luck, it worked for me. A knee injury (black labrador related) had me struggling to walk a few hundred yards, six months of a 4 mile each way commute on my ebike had me nearly as good as new again, I routinely walk several miles for amusement now. The petrol saving paid for the bike, and it was quicker than the car going home in the evenings too.

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

They are great things, it's no surprise that stats show more ebike riders being injured, as they will automatically be the older and less experienced cyclists. I'd take issue with the weight being a problem, carrying mine upstairs into the office was a strain, and it's not that easy to lift into a car boot, but it's nothing like the weight of a moped or 125 motorcycle. Perhaps avoid one with the battery on the rear carrier, to keep the centre of gravity low.

By easing the grinding bits of long uphills and headwinds, they make you far more likely to ride them than a push bike, I regularly ride into the next town, 5 miles away, whereas I always took the car for that journey over the previous 30 years, despite being younger, fitter and having a perfectly good pedal bike.

REPLY3 REPLIES 5

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to John

I'm referring to people who stopped riding a bike at 14, and suddenly start off again at 60 plus, rather than people who kept pedaling throughout their life. Country lanes are not what they were in 1970. EDITED

Veetam 7 DAYS AGO

Reply to Canute

that is me!! Weave & wobble through the village :)

Del 9 DAYS AGO

My wife rides one. She wouldn`t ride a conventional bike but loves going out on her ebike. I can hardly keep up on my racer. When we get home I am nackered and she is a bit puffed.

I saw a kid on an electric scooter the other day. He wasn`t getting any exercise whatsoever. Kids should be made to ride bikes rather than those things.

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Del

I had one teenager smirking as he went past me going up hill, he didn't like it one bit when we came to the down slope and my 7 speed gears enabled me to go back past him at 30mph!

Night 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Del

have you heard of herding cats ?

Tony 9 DAYS AGO

Bought one during lockdown. Haven’t used it since.

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Tony

You really should, your arteries will thank you for it.

Edwina 9 DAYS AGO

I live in Norway in a village with hills all around. At 77 with two metal hips and four heart stents I find my Cannondale e-bike a game-changer. Even go on a week’s cycling holiday in Europe every year. It also means I can cycle together with my boyfriend on his racing bike, and enjoy the ride. An added joy is being able to look around you and take in the scenery from your upright position! I recommend an e-bike to everyone as an ideal way to keep fit when you get older and feel that a push-bike is no longer an alternative. Go e-bike go! Edwina

Bozidar 9 DAYS AGO

The e bike regulations were lifted wholesale from the Japanese regulations by the EU. The maximum speed limit of 15.5 mph comes from the fastest that carriage horses can travel at. Simon Cowell may well have a faster assisted bike but he is an idiot for not wearing a helmet.

Paul 9 DAYS AGO

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Reply to Bill

My 23 mph fall from my ebike would have been fatal without a good helmet. Instead mild concussion, CT scan and broken shoulder. Helmet was smashed to bits instead of my brain box.

Bill 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Paul

Then you clearly misunderstand the way that these helmets are designed to work. They should prevent harm to your head by deforming. If they are “smashed to bits” then they have failed. Basically helmets are only any good for slow speed collisions. Anything over 5kph is too much for them . However they are pretty good at preventing scraping injuries. And let’s face it, if you believe that it is a good idea for a cyclist to wear a helmet then the same arguments suggest that pedestrians should also wear a helmet. And all this without even getting on to how wearing a helmet affects the behaviour of the wearer and in turn the perception of car drivers. And additionally there is a small but statistically significant risk for a helmet wearer in an accident. (That poking out bit at the back of the helmet hits the kerb and breaks the wear’s neck).

W 9 DAYS AGO

Sexist to suggest the Pendleton is for women - ANYONE with restrictive clothing or physical limitations might find it a more useable option. Or indeed anyone who prefers the styling, EDITED

Oliver 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to W

Oh no, sexism, run!

soph 9 DAYS AGO

Road tax the bikes and have them speed restricted for safer environment to other road and path user . ( £20 per year)

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to soph

They are speed restricted. The motor must cut out at 15.5 mph, anything else is illegal, and can result in large fines and points on your licence.

You are deemed to be driving an unregistered vehicle without insurance, and possibly a licence.

Michael 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Canute

I don't think mine was set right, as the motor doesn't cut out till I reach about 17.7mph. Then I have to wait a minute or so, even after slowing right down, for it to kick in again.

Chris 9 DAYS AGO

Plenty of people find ways to get round the speed limiting technology. I spoke to one who had moved the speed sensor the pedals for instance and regularly rides at 30MPH he has some horrible scars where he has fallen off it at speed.

For people who are losing there fitness this is great way to continue cycling and knowing you can get home with little effort if you need to.

Caledonian Sleepers will not carry e-bikes don't know why.

Bill 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Chris

Some railways will not carry e-bikes because of the perceived danger of fires caused by the lithium batteries. .

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Chris

It's easy enough to fix, but illegal to use on the road if you do.

Ruth 9 DAYS AGO

We initially bought e bikes in the cheaper range and they did have rather harsh take off acceleration. But since upgrading to better quality and longer distance bikes we found acceleration and take off much smoother and more manageable. You get what you pay for .

Mega 9 DAYS AGO

Ridiculous prices, for twice the price you can buy a new Dacia Sandero, how on earth can they justify these prices? And who in their right mind pays so much for something that 90% will use for a couple of months and then store and finally sell a couple of years later. Madness! Buy a normal bike, use the gears and get properly fit.

Jerry 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Mega

But I have a friend who lives in North Devon, surrounded by steep hills. I wouldn't want to walk up them never mind ride a bike. She rides her e-bike almost every day. She's 71, it's a bit much to shout at her just to get fit.

Kenneth 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Mega

And for £350 you can but the kit for a normal bike. You don’t need to spend ‘000s in the same way you don’t need a £10k Italian carbon superbike to get into cycling.

R 9 DAYS AGO

"Burns has taught a number of cyclists, middle-aged and upwards, how to ride e-bikes, and says the initial burst of acceleration can definitely cause a few wobbles." As an experienced e-bike rider, I understand the previous sentence, but anyone considering purchasing one should not be concerned. This problem is only likely to occur if you select one of the higher assistance levels to set off. Selecting the lowest level to start should ensure a smooth & manageable start. Additionally, any experiences cyclist ahould have most the necessary riding skills, so I assume that at least some of the people being taught were inexperienced or perhaps had not ridden since childhood. E-bike riding (as with any other road vehicle) merely requires a modicum of common sense & care.

Stuart 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Stuart

https://thenextweb.com/news/buying-an-ebike-you-should-know-about-torque-and-cadence-sensors

Peter 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Stuart

This + the link you gave in your own reply were very useful thanks.

I did a Swtchbyke conversion on an old Trek ATB and it's pretty good (in particular it's not much heavier than the original if I choose to go out for a regular ride without the battery). But if I were buying a "proper" e-bike I'd definitely go for the torque type.

Kate 10 DAYS AGO

Older or less able cyclists, might look at E-tricycles, which although needing some initial getting used to, solve the balance and insecurity problem. I cycled for more than sixty years, much of in London, but am now wobbly on two wheels. I might look, as a friend has said, 'a bit Miss Marple', but I love my trike and can now make local journeys without using my diesel car.

If the government are serious about getting people out of cars, they should restart the cycling proficiency instruction once given to schoolchildren. The younger generation need to see cycling as a viable option.

Sue 10 DAYS AGO

Well thank goodness the article lets me know which bike is suitable for women!

Michael 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Sue

Friend of mine ran a bike shop for many years and said that whereas most men came in and already knew exactly what they wanted, most women asked what would be best for them, and needed detailed advice on even the basics. That's not being sexist, it's just stating factual truth. EDITED

Veetam 7 DAYS AGO

Reply to Sue

Hi Sue - that caught my eye too! I must confess it looks very similar to my ebike, although mine has a wicker basket at the front. I love the Mary Poppins look. I use it to go to & from my allotment. I have to negotiated a hill start onto a double round about, the twist grip is a great help.

J 10 DAYS AGO

Not sure how we get to net zero if we keep adding batteries to things

Ruth 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to J

Looked after property they can last ages . I have done over 7000 miles with my battery over 5 years and still good.

Night 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to J

Net Zero is a lot of nonsense to get us all to buy stuff and borrow money

Nick 10 DAYS AGO

I am sixty two years old and have owned an e bike mountain bike for over a year now.

They are with out doubt a brilliant idea.

But for all the radical lycra clad cyclists who say the are for cheats they are talking rubbish.

For older people these bikes are a God send It makes cycling so much more enjoyable.

There have been many studies into their value as a tool for improving fitness.

They have to be pedalled so you are getting exercise.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Of course not as much as on an ordinary bike but you are still exercising out in the fresh air and able to cycle longer and cover far greater distances so its stupid to say they are for lazy people who cheat.

Th only problem I have had is the abuse from the lycra clad fanatics when you sail past them going up hills.

My advice is to buy a decent one and to invest in proper clothing because you need warmer clothing on an E bike because you don't end up dripping with sweat after a ride.

Trevor 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to Nick

I have been riding e-bikes since the first modern ones were introduced shortly after the millenium, first to work, then, since retirement, all over southern England. Purpose built e-bikes like I use to cycle the South Downs Way, are big and heavy but there are kits such the British Cytronex which can be fitted to an ordinary light bike which make the end product only marginally heavier. I use one all the time to go to the shops - just cycle up and park right outside, no parking charges, no searching for parking places. I get wet occasionally but that's the price of enjoying fresh air and exercise - what's not to like!

JJ 8 DAYS AGO

Reply to Nick

No-one minds sixty year-olds riding electric bikes because we know that you wouldn’t be on a real one otherwise, it’s the county lines gangs on them that is the problem.

Max 10 DAYS AGO

After damaging a knee I couldn't ride properly so got an ebike. It put me back on the road and trail. Now I am better my wife rides it and we can go any where together which was not the case before. Great buy off of eBay for 575 euros, not thousands!

david 10 DAYS AGO

in the uk they're limited to 15.5mph! such simplistic reporting, anyone can go and buy a kit on ebay or similar with a far more powerful motor than the 250 watt allowed by law and they put it in an old chinese mountain bike frame and it will do 50 mph on cycle brakes! seen in any town, the police arent interested

Canute 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to david

Heaven help you if you are involved in an accident though, as well as being prosecuted for driving an unregistered vehicle, with no insurance you could be sued for any injuries, so if you have any assets don't even think about it.

Kenneth 9 DAYS AGO

Reply to david

Rather than look upon an ebike as a normal bike substitute look upon it as a car substitute for all these journeys a regular bike would sit in the shed for. Then they start to make more sense. Speed limits could be increased though it’s arguably Safer to be doing 25-30 in traffic and keep up with the cars in a 30mph zone than doing 15.5 mph and simply being a rolling road block.