E-bike For a Child

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

That is exactly what my 10 years old girls need. Hills just drain all their energy.
What do you guys think about 14 years legal limit?

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
On a trail where worst case is broken bones, maybe, personally I wouldn't have let either of my kids when they were ten out on a powered ebike. Imagine having to explain to your wife etc. ...

Other side of coin is very young kids have been riding motorbikes doing off road stuff for donkeys years, anyone remember 'Junior Kick Start' on BBC, always good for a laugh when I was a kid and some young kid falls of a beam on his bike and gets it in the nads...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's very silly and unnecessary, the restriction to being a bicycle means they are suitable for any age, just like any ordinary bicycle.

Only Sweden in Europe has similar, but even more Nanny State with a 15 years minimum age.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
If its for your child taking part in a family ride with mum dad etc on e-bikes then it could be considered abusive not to give the 10yr old similar assistance imho.. certainly a lil bit cruel..

no one would want to age check a kiddie on an ebike in a family group thats riding sensibly..

I dont think it would be a good idea for 10 yr olds to be out on ebikes unsupervised however..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I dont think it would be a good idea for 10 yr olds to be out on ebikes unsupervised however..
Why? They are out on ordinary bikes riding downhill at 20mph or more at times. How can pedal assistance to circa 15mph make any difference.

Even less so for 11, 12 and 13 years olds that we ban, even though they and younger ride BMX in competition at high risk of injury.

Either cycling is safe or unsafe at a given age. The lower limit is just a petty restriction because our dozy parliamentarians think motor drive has been mentioned. It hasn't, the law is very clear, EAPCs only have an Auxilliary motor that only operates while pedalling, which is why they are NOT ebikes, only assisted normal bicycles.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
In general I agree however a 10yr old out in any town on an ebike is going to get robbed...state of the nation...

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I kind of think that the struggles I had as a ten year old riding my tenth hand, girly framed, single gear, bike back up hill to my home helped build up character and determination. I probably would not be such a cantankerous b ugger now, if it were not for those early lessons in being struggling to get the journey finished.

I would never have thought of putting a motor on my kids bikes. Back around 1986, I took my then seven year old, eldest son on a bike ride from Newcastle down past Richmond to stay at the Ellingstring Youth Hostel. The trip was seventy miles. When he started crying, I just told him to shut up and tossed him another pack of Chocolate digestives. Once he had eaten half the pack, he stopped crying. Next day we rode east to the North York moors and the day after we went home again. When he was eighteen he joined the Royal Marines.

Kids need to be tough. I can't see any way we will not soon be at war with the Russians.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
no one would want to age check a kiddie on an ebike in a family group thats riding sensibly..
It would be funny though to have whole family stopped and all bikes confiscated ;)

In general I agree however a 10yr old out in any town on an ebike is going to get robbed...state of the nation...
You guys don't have children, do you? My girls were never left unsupervised in their entire life. Ever.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You guys don't have children, do you? My girls were never left unsupervised in their entire life. Ever.
Among the kids on bikes in my London Borough estate and area I never see any girls at all, it's always boys. And its only ever been boys from ten upwards cadging brief rides on my pedelecs.

So either only boys ride bikes here or all the parents are like you.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
For sure I have kids, daughter early 20s and 14yr old boy who has cycled to school for 2yrs now mostly on his own and we have our own 'safe' routes across west end to avoid the really busy roads.

He's way more sensible than I was at that age, my biggest worry is that he'll get his new bike nicked when riding it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would never have thought of putting a motor on my kids bikes. Back around 1986, I took my then seven year old, eldest son on a bike ride from Newcastle down past Richmond to stay at the Ellingstring Youth Hostel. The trip was seventy miles. When he started crying, I just told him to shut up and tossed him another pack of Chocolate digestives. Once he had eaten half the pack, he stopped crying. Next day we rode east to the North York moors and the day after we went home again. When he was eighteen he joined the Royal Marines.

Kids need to be tough. I can't see any way we will not soon be at war with the Russians.
It's important to beat them daily to within an inch of their lives. Never did any of my late sons any harm.

I can't see any way we will not soon be at war with the Russians.
There won't be a ground war. If you're lucky, it'll be a bright flash then nothing.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Kids are far better off in early life being as fit and active as possible. If they enjoy the activity, they will get used to the physicality of it, and be healthier life long as a result.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Kids are far better off in early life being as fit and active as possible. If they enjoy the activity, they will get used to the physicality of it, and be healthier life long as a result.
I think it all depends very much on conditions and ability. My son is 15, he doesn't need an e-bike and he didn't need it earlier. My daughters would very much benefit from having electrical assistance though. Steep hills are very problematic for them and there are a lot of steep hills around.

I find it a bit hypocritical. After all most of us don't need e-bikes. We use them, because they are convenient, so why children are deprived of electrical assistance? They say it is unfair and for once I agree.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019

That is exactly what my 10 years old girls need. Hills just drain all their energy.
What is the legal position with a 'tag-a-long' on an ebike?

Jerry Atric

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2023
My 11 year old grandson has been riding a Tongsheng converted bike for a couple of years now. We regularly go out on family trail rides and because he rides respectfully when passing others eg walkers/horses etc, nobody seems to notice he is on a powered bike. I would not recommend taking them on the main road because that scares me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What is the legal position with a 'tag-a-long' on an ebike?
Presumably they are a passenger, no different from being in an approved child seat on the back. Although contributing to power, they are not in control.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Tag-a-long might be a good solution for toddlers. Don't think older children would find it attractive.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021

0:58 - 7000mAhr 36V Scoter battery

1:09 - "they are cheap and this one even came with a 48v charger"

mmm thats going to end well.

• :D
Reactions: Tony1951 and snafu