E-Bike Of The Year 2010?

C

Cyclezee

It really doesn't seem like a year since we last voted for e-bike of the year, but here we are again.

This year like last there will two categories.

First category, NEW E-BIKE, i.e. any e-bike or pedelec currently in production and available on the market, before the end of 2010.
Second category, KIT BIKE, i.e. a completed kit bike that you or someone else has built or assembled.

Please note that you do not have to own the bike you vote for!

Voting starts now and ends at 24.00 on 31/12/2010

With an increase in membership I am hoping for many more votes this year.

A reminder of last year’s outcome:
  • 1st place in the new bike category is shared jointly by the Kalkhoff Pro Connect S and the Wisper 905SE each receiving 9 votes.
  • 2nd place is shared by the Alien Gents Special, Cannondale Synapse, Kalkhoff Pro Connect and Powerbyke Euro with 3 votes each.
· 3rd place is shared by Cytronex Claud Butler, E-Motion Cross Deluxe and the Kalkhoff Agattu with 3 votes each.

1st place in the kit bike category goes to Nick's (A.K.A. Tiberius) Prestigne 2009 winning bike with 2 votes.

Although there were 5 votes for the eZee kit, it does not win because this category is for a completed kit bike that has been built or assembled.

From a total of 46 votes in the new bike category, top brands were Kalkhoff with 15 then Wisper with 10 and Cytronex with 5 votes.

There were 4,478 views of the thread and 109 replies from a total of 2,832 members.

Last edited by a moderator:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not sure I really see the point of this, I don't think the e-bike market has moved on since last year and aren't voters just going to vote for their own bike? ;)

Sooo....voting for my own bike :) I'll vote for the Proconnect S, despite pedals sized for girls and mudguards only fit for a ride down the pavement it's an absolutely cracking bike.

For the DIY category I'm going for my own Peugeot with the programable E-Crazyman controller. Not only are these controllers cheap they are customisable, retrofittable to most E-bikes and easy to install! :p

C

Cyclezee

I'm not sure I really see the point of this, I don't think the e-bike market has moved on since last year and aren't voters just going to vote for their own bike? ;)
Neal,

You are probably right about people voting for their own bike, personally I don't see anything wrong with that. But I am sure some will vote for a bike they just really like or aspire to own.
As for the e-bike market, I can only think of a couple of new manufacturers, but there have been lots of new models introduced and membership has increased by 31% since last year so it could be quite interesting.

Anyhow, thanks for being the first to submit your vote even though you think it pointless;)

J:) hn

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I said I don't see the point, not that it is 'pointless' ;) ;)

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
I'm voting for the daniel weck and jerry simon Brompton conversions equally. They have been smashing threads to follow. Well illustrated and generous in sharing expertise and innovation. The finished products are great.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I vote for the BikeTec Flyer X, since it was the first proper go at fulfilling a long felt need of many, a good
suspension mid-motor and battery mountain bike with adequate ground clearance. And it was a new release
in 2010:

Flyer X.jpg

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Guess I better chip in for the 905SE then!

I have to say I am really taken with the Sahel Pro Disc though. Can't vote for it until I have ridden one. The Flyer X looks pretty awsome too!

Kit bike? - I want a Canondale BadBoy mono fork with a dapush hub motor but I don't see anyway of fitting one (the spindle being of large diameter, tapered and fixed to the fork). Can you buy a Panasonic drive kit?

Oh yeah, and it has to be in satin black :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now your talking! and you beat me to it Flecc! A superb machine, and I tried one twice this summer (briefly but it was enough) But colour all wrong it has to be black!:D
If I was many years younger I'd buy one, but it would have to be silver since it would spend so much time on the dirt. Black shows too much.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Not possible since the unit has the bottom bracket inside it and has to have a special lower frame without one:

I figured I would have to do some cutting and shutting of the bike frame if I ever did it. I didn't think it would involve cutting up an existing ebike! Seems far too wasteful to me! In that case scrap the mono fork idea.

C

Cyclezee

When voting please state clearly which bike you are voting for and note that a New Bike can be any complete e-bike/pedelec available to buy anywhere in the world whether it be available to the UK or not. Also, it does not have to be a model introduced in 2010.

As for kit bikes, please state the kit used, 'donor' bike and who built it.

Thanks,

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Cyclamatic Power Plus. Its low price and not too shabby spec may tempt more people to take up ebiking. For that reason it has to be worth a nomination, for its contribution to the cause.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I am going to vote for the emotion sport max as the off the peg bike. I know it is one I own but I think the emotion bikes should be represented. I agree that one of the brompton kits would get my other vote - do you need me decide whose is best? (please don't make me as I think they are both great installations).

C

Cyclezee

I am going to vote for the emotion sport max as the off the peg bike. I know it is one I own but I think the emotion bikes should be represented. I agree that one of the brompton kits would get my other vote - do you need me decide whose is best? (please don't make me as I think they are both great installations).
Thank you for your vote Harry. It is OK to vote for your own Emotion;) , but could please name just one of the Brompton kits as can only vote for one bike in each category.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
tell you what H, you vote for one Brompton and I will vote for the other:p

Laxey Clive

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 7, 2010
New ebike category.
Pro Commuter 350w (the bike mentioned by Blew it in the thread Good South Downs ebike).
Good value. Good man to deal with. 'Different' styling. And all round good purchase.
Clive.

Last edited:

hoppy

May 25, 2010
I vote for the Tonaro Compy. Crank drive through 8 speed gear. Climbs 25 degree slopes. Proper throttle. Under 1000 GBP.See post from torquayite. Wish I had one too! No connection with company!