E-bike rental business,Ragusa,Sicily

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am in Ragusa,South west Sicily,the city is 2000 ft up a mini mountain and every street seems to be a very steep hill. Having a coffee in the centre square I spied a couple of local guys who were photo shooting 2 e-bikes,with a view to setting up a rental business.
The bikes they had selected were cheapo small framed step through with SWX Bafang motors,revoshift Index gears and the lowest quality brakes. I respectively suggested that they may wish to consider BPM motors,Hydraulic brakes and Alivio gears,in a town that consists completely of hills....they insisted I tried one of their bikes up a hill,it helped but wasn't impressive...I only wished I had a BPM motored bike to show them what could be achieved but I think they were very price driven.
KudosDave

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Great color, Kudoscycles.

Just a question: a BPM is always illegal in Europe, right? I only have seen 350W and 500W versions (unlike the BPM CST, which exists in the "legal" 250W configuration, too).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Great color, Kudoscycles.

Just a question: a BPM is always illegal in Europe, right? I only have seen 350W and 500W versions (unlike the BPM CST, which exists in the "legal" 250W configuration, too).
you can limit the power of the motor with other components like battery, controller and programming to comply with EN15194.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Arbil,the BPM motor used in the Kudos performance bikes is 'tuned' to 250 watts and is fully EN 15194 compliant in Europe. The bike has a useful wider torque spread than the Bafang SWX motor,the useable torque coming in lower in the speed range,which gives the bike more low speed grunt and the perception of higher power.
KudosDave

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Arbil,the BPM motor used in the Kudos performance bikes is 'tuned' to 250 watts and is fully EN 15194 compliant in Europe. The bike has a useful wider torque spread than the Bafang SWX motor,the useable torque coming in lower in the speed range,which gives the bike more low speed grunt and the perception of higher power.
KudosDave
Thanks, I should have remembered that BH also "tuned down" a 350W motor into a 250W.

May I ask you how do you accomplish to "tune" the BPM 350W (I guess it is the 350W 36V) to comply with the legal requirements?

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Speaking as a noted toxicologist of high altitude ebiking experience I should warn you to be aware of the tendency of ebike salesmen when exposed to altitudes above sealevel. to soar towards extreme buzzardshit.
Like oxygen deprivation, it is a law unto nature.

Reactions: jackhandy

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Seems the only law is that there is no law so long as we stay tuned.
Isnt that just so gorgeously convenient now.
Keep out of my hat man!