E-bikes declared illegal to use on European roads without insurance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Join BC for £39 p.a and get 15mil 3rd party liability insurance included plus other benefits.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Join BC for £39 p.a and get 15mil 3rd party liability insurance included plus other benefits.
Doesn`t look like that type of insurance will satisfy these morons...

`In an explanatory introduction to the proposal, the European Commission claims that pedal-assisted cycles should already currently have full motor vehicle insurance (not transport, bicycle, personal or household insurance but full motor-vehicle insurance).

Hopefully March 29th 2019 will put an end to all that nonsense

• Dislike
Reactions: oldtom

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it was to happen they will eventually kill the ebike industry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it was to happen they will eventually kill the ebike industry.
As I explained earlier, it's a non-story, it will never happen and the Commission cannot make it happen. I don't know why Tommie is flogging this dead horse.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hopefully March 29th 2019 will put an end to all that nonsense
It will probably make no difference, those countries just outside the EU who trade with them usually accept transport harmonisation is necessary and continue with compatible law. Our "great repeal bill" is actually writing that firmly into UK law, so I expect the N.I executive will also do so once they've finished their very long holiday.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks to Peter at the BAGB for clearing this up.

You may have seen a BikeBiz story published today:

https://www.bikebiz.com/news/bikes-need-3rd-part-insurance-in-eu

with the headline "E-bikes declared illegal to use on European roads
without insurance"

I can reassure members that it remains legal to use e-bikes in the UK
without motor vehicle insurance. The article is based on a proposal
which has been made by the European Commission for reform of the
Motor Insurance Directive.

This proposal has no legal effect...yet.

We and our EU colleagues at CONEBI, and allies including the ECF,
have been fighting this, and continue to do so. We have successfully
lobbied the UK Government, who formally opposed the inclusion of
e-bikes into the scope of the draft proposal.

So it is disappointing that e-bikes have still been included in the
scope of the final formal proposal. But there is scope for this to
change before the text is made definitive and then implemented into
UK law.

The Council of the European Union (i.e.. nation states) and the
European Parliament must both approve it, and there will be intensive
lobbying at both to persuade them to make the Commission think again
on this aspect.

Other slighly positive notes:

- The concerns of e-bike producers are noted in the proposal's impact
assessment, and the "Regulatory Scrutiny Board" report on the
proposal also states that the proposal is not sufficiently
future-proofed when it comes to e-bikes.

- Nation states will still be able to exempt classes of vehicle such
as e-bikes if they wish ('derogation') but then the cost of
compensating accident victims would fall on the national insurance
fund, which in the UK is the Motor Insurers' Bureau, funded
essentially by a levy on car insurance policies. But this is not a
satisfactory solution for many reasons.

- Because this is a 'Directive', it requires EU nation states to
implement it into national law - it has no direct legal effect. So
there would have to be UK legislation to implement any changes. This
may take some time... and there may be some scope to influence how
the UK implements it.

The full text of the proposal, impact assessments etc are here:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/initiatives/com-2018-3
36_en#initiative-details

and also on that link you will see that the European Commission is
requesting feedback on this proposal. We will certainly be providing
some as the Bicycle Association, but please do add your voices as EU
businesses - it does not have to be anything extensive, but please do
firmly note your opposition to the inclusion of e-bikes in this
proposal, and concerns you may have about its impact. The deadline
for submitting feedback is 19 July 2018.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can reassure members that it remains legal to use e-bikes in the UK
without motor vehicle insurance. The article is based on a proposal
which has been made by the European Commission for reform of the
Motor Insurance Directive.
I still see The Netherlands killing this. They always take a fiercely defensive stance against any EU Commission proposals for extra laws on cycling. For the Dutch cycling and walking amount to the same thing, just simple ways to get from A to B.

Since they are the EU's dominant cycling nation, anything they don't accept has virtually no chance of becoming EU wide law. Given that pedelecs are such a high proportion of their bike sales, I'm sure they'll be just as defensive for them.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Like I said I don't mind paying insurance but if I do have to I will want more in return:

- I will not drag around a number plate on a pedelec, IIRC way back before I was born in some parts of the world bicycles did have a tax disk holder on the head tube?
- I will want more infrastructure and, revolution in these parts, infrastructure that makes riding from point a to b easier not harder as it is now
- I will want a separate s-pedelec class that allows higher assistance speed and a class specific helmet, not a motorbike one
- many more things which, as I am paying for riding a bicycle, I will expect in return such as secure parking spots at strategic places like bus and train stations...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
IIRC way back before I was born in some parts of the world bicycles did have a tax disk holder on the head tube?
Prior to 1995 UK assisted bikes needed registration, number plate, tax disc and holder, insurance, motor cycle driving licence and supposedly a motor cycle helmet.

In Guernsey before the second World War, all bicycles had to be registered with a fee. It was a simple system though, call at the office, pay the fee and be given a little bracket mounted plate that clipped onto the back mudguard.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well.. ebikes should be banned anyway.. If you can't ride a bike without a motor then you shouldn't be allowed out on the road! That is according to a licra clad speedster who I has bested on a hill but then caught me up at the lights..
That sort of thinking would ban mobility vehicles, "if you can't walk you shouldn't be allowed on the pavements".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bad anology.. mobility scooters are an absolute menace..
:D. As I posted I smiled, knowing that someone would respond like this.

An absolute menace, just like e-bikes showing up superfit lycras on hills!

All in the eye of the beholder. :)

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
more on this on MBR ..

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/e-bikes-insurance-375828

The European Commission has proposed that pedal assist e-bikes (also known as ‘pedelecs’) are to require third party insurance in Europe.

This is a move that would basically make all electric bikes require the same sort of insurance cover as is with motor vehicles.
I repeat, scare story. It will never happen.

Even before it can go the member countries for agreement it has to get through the European Parliament, and they are distinctly liberal where pedelecs are concerned. For example that parliament recommended to the EU Commission that all pedelec power limits be removed, relying only on the assist speed limit. Typically the Commission rejected that suggestion.

You can see from this example that the positions of the two on pedelec law are diametrically opposed, and the Commission does not have the power to impose.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Can't help feeling that insurance is a good idea for all road users. I don't want to expose myself to a very heavy claim - and, more importantly, I don't want others to not get compensation if I cause damage or injury and cannot afford to pay out.

A partial answer, which obviously would not apply to everyone, could be for those of us with motor vehicle insurance to have a free or low-cost add-on to cover all bike usage. After all, a considerable proportion of the cost of a separate cycle policy, ebike or not, is the administration, advertising, etc. Done on an at-cost basis the real incremental cost might be very small. And, when cycling, almost all motoring risk is eliminated.

(As I said, not feasible for everyone, but might help a lot of us.)

• Informative
Reactions: TedG and LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can't help feeling that insurance is a good idea for all road users.
But the elephant in the room is that if compulsory it means registration and number plates, otherwise it couldn't be policed. That on all bicycles is hardly acceptable and why almost everywhere it's been tried it's subsequently been dropped.

A more viable alternative is a compensation fund, financed by a levy on each bike sold. It could be run by a Cycle Insurance Bureau, just like the Motor Insurance Bureau covers claims when drivers aren't insured.

Our bike sales run at around 2.5 million a year so the levy would be small since bikes rarely cause a really costly accident.

• Informative
Reactions: TedG and LeighPing