e-bikes for mountains

Timbo47

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Hi Folks... I'm totally new to the world of e-bikes and in dire need of some sound advice please. I'm 47 and 5'7" and my better half is 4'11", we're moving to N.Wales and would love to have a pair of e-bikes that will help us get up some of the mountainous terrain for some much needed excercise and sight-seeing. The GTECH bike is what sparked my interest in e-bikes originally, but I soon realised it was pretty far removed from the spec that we need. Options for my wife seem quote limited due to her hobbit-like proportions, and I'm confused as to whether 250w motors with around 400-500Kwh batteries are strong enough to go several miles up some fairly serious inclines. Also I'm unsure if crank drive as opposed to hub makes a 250w more capable of achieving this, or if a 500w would be needed in any case. There don't seem to be many 500w options except for the Volt Bigfoot, which looks like it would be great for off-road mountains and sand dunes etc. Shimano steps would be ideal for the missus as she's not particularly keen on using manual multi-gear setups, but it's not essential. All advice and any suggestions would be very much appreciated, as after researching several manufacturers offerings I feel quite lost in the wilderness of available e-bike options and specifications.
Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
one solution for your wife is a folding bike.
Smaller wheels give better torque with the same motor.
One important consideration is weight. How heavy are you both?

D

Deleted member 4366

A lot of inexperienced riders worry about the gears on bicycles because it looks complicated, but it's nothing to worry about. It only takes a couple of outings for them to become as natural as turning the pedals. Bikes with motors in the wheel are less dependent on being in the right gear because they drive the wheel directly, so the motor can bail you out while you sort out which gear you should be in, which can be very useful at times. At only 4ft 11, I can imagine that any bike with a hub-motor would have enough power for your wife.
For you, we need to know your weight to make a suitable recommendation.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Timbo,
I live in west Wales, not Snowdonia but still lots of hills. My wife has a Woosh big Bear. The frame would be too big for your wife, but it's 8Fun front hub motor pulls like a tractor even though 'only' 250watts. There are other machines in the Woosh range that would suite your wife.
For myself, I have a converted Carrera with an Ezee kit. Again this is a big bodied bpm type geared front hub. Gets me up the steepest I can find. In fact I have been known to start laughing during a climb, 'cos it's just such a hoot.
Hub motors (front or rear) are not dependant on which gear you are in. I find that makes simpler cycling, just changing gear to suite me.

Not sure how far away you are, but there are these guys near Abereron:
http://www.cyclemart.co.uk/electric-mountain-bikes/4579330921
Have a range of mountain and hybrid bikes with some demo's.
You need to try a few to get the feel of it. Alternatively, if you have a bike you like, conversion is an option, if you are even mildly handy with a spanner.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
A lot depends on why you want to cycle. If you want excercise then a bike with a torque sensor is best, if you want to go through the motions then a bike with a cadence sensor will do it for you. Are you looking for a bike for off road use or will it all be on road?

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
We'd prefer out of the box bikes, rather than converting.
Torque-sensor is probably best, since we do want the excercise, but it would be nice to have a throttle on occasion when too tired to get up the hill! Our longest journeys will be off-road, with a short daily on-road run of about 5 miles.
For myself, a 500w motor would be nice for the occasional blast along a deserted beach.

• Informative

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm confused as to whether 250w motors with around 400-500Kwh batteries are strong enough to go several miles up some fairly serious inclines.
If distance and steepness of climb are of key importance, then personal fitness is always going to play a major roll in a bikes hill climbing ability, as is gearing.

For the simple reason of ownership and keeping it short, taking the Bosch motor system for my example, both the Performance Line and CX motor will climb, with the main weak link being the rider,

Just a few examples for you to glance at.

Climb only recorded, and this climb required a change of battery for the last mile or so. https://www.strava.com/activities/658404106

Climb and descent recorded. https://www.strava.com/activities/657632662

Climb only recorded. https://www.strava.com/activities/656138180

Doarama example. http://doarama.com/view/942817

Last edited:
  • Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

For myself, a 500w motor would be nice for the occasional blast along a deserted beach.
Geat idea, but fatal for an electric bike. You shouldn't take one anywhere near the beach. This is what happened to the last guy that tried that:

• Informative

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I'd say go and try lots and lots out first and see what you find the best
Try and have a budget in mind and try and stick to it, you can spend a few £ to lots of £££££££££££ on a bike, so it's best to try and try again.

• Informative

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
You mention 500 watt motor. My understanding is that this would require to be registered taxed and motd in order to be used legally on road in UK or you risk your driving licence. UK motor max for pedelec is 250 watt. I'm a newbie so may be talking through a large orifice with a sphincter in my nether regions but suggest you check. Apologies in advance if im wrongo_O

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a Bosch or Yamaha motor can pull 700w under 15 mph but if you dongle it then that removes the speed limit ;)

why i can roll round going 30mph.

• Informative

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Geat idea, but fatal for an electric bike. You shouldn't take one anywhere near the beach. This is what happened to the last guy that tried that:

How did this happen? Battery get wet inside? I thought those things were sealed... or did sand somehow cause this but, if you shouldn't run an ebike on the beach, why do they make fatbikes and advertise them specifically for use on sand dunes, snow and mud?

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
You mention 500 watt motor. My understanding is that this would require to be registered taxed and motd in order to be used legally on road in UK or you risk your driving licence. UK motor max for pedelec is 250 watt. I'm a newbie so may be talking through a large orifice with a sphincter in my nether regions but suggest you check. Apologies in advance if im wrongo_O
Thanks but it's fine, I'm aware that 250w is the max allowed legally on the road, the 500 would only be used in off-road, no people places.
I guess what I am asking here is are 250w bikes capable of pulling up a steep hill without pedalling if it becomes necessary (I have a knee that sometimes fails without warning). Also all the 'reputable' manufacturers, selling what I presume are better quality bikes over £2K, seem to have crank motors. Would the same size motor apply more torque at the wheel than a hub type due to the gearing advantage? Basically, is it worth spending the extra £500 for a Bosch/Yamaha crank motor setup over the cheaper hub types? Regarding style and quality, the Haibike range looks to be way ahead of the rest.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Just my own experiences here. Off road, up a hill, you still have to put some considerable effort in. Sometimes more effort than you may be used to. Especially, if it's a 'mountain'. It's no breeze climbing steeper hills. The bike's motor will only assist your own efforts.

This video shows a front hub 250w and a 1kw rear hub going up a hill. Neither throttle was used.

This video, taken this morning, shows a 1kw rear hub bike going up a grassy knoll, on throttle only, with relative ease. It's the biggest hill that I have close by. It'll never be a mountain though. :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Danidl

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How did this happen? Battery get wet inside? I thought those things were sealed... or did sand somehow cause this but, if you shouldn't run an ebike on the beach, why do they make fatbikes and advertise them specifically for use on sand dunes, snow and mud?
Batteries aren't 100% sealed the outer casing is there to hold all the interanls in place and to protect from knock damage. Saline water eats and damages cells and eventually kills them, not to be used near the surf or on wet sand. Lipo's at end of life then dunked in saline solution is a way of making them totally safe for disposal, lion will be no different.
Snow and mud are safe at the most they contain moisture but not enough to cause issues whilst sand dunes are exactly that dry and inland not on the surf.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Full sus Haibikes are ok If you fit cable ties to all the moving sus parts othe rwise they fall to bits. Just ask SW 5k bike only works with 50p cable ties added. Pretty designed stylish bkes don't always mean their the best just the most expensive or otherwise a marketing ploy to grab as much money as they can.
You need to ride the differing bike drives out there with a dodgy knee go for cadence/pas sensor hub bike with full throttle but don't expect to be racing up hills at full speed, also if planning on using throttle a lot get a big battery 15ah or more. Throttle use full power so uses capacity up quicker.