E bikes help to make riding standard bikes easier

Electric daz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2016
Cardiff
Does anyone else find that alternating from their E bike to a normal bike make riding the normal one easier than it used to? I am find this is the case mainly due to the lightness difference from the 22kg of the e bike to the 11kg of my normal bike. I'm loving this as when I'm in an energetic mood I can ride standard and when feeling sluggish/tired (where I'd take the car) I've got my new E bike (soooo happy)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Does anyone else find that alternating from their E bike to a normal bike make riding the normal one easier than it used to? I am find this is the case mainly due to the lightness difference from the 22kg of the e bike to the 11kg of my normal bike. I'm loving this as when I'm in an energetic mood I can ride standard and when feeling sluggish/tired (where I'd take the car) I've got my new E bike (soooo happy)
Only when it's not windy....

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Only when it is not windy and hilly...

Reactions: Wicky

Electric daz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2016
Cardiff
Agree with wind but I am finding hills a tad easier on my standard bike than I did before the addition of the E bike ( might also be and increase in leg power from the ability to pedal faster and longer with the assist )

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Are they 3.8 km long?

Screenshot from 2015-02-18 08:27:32.png

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes, exactly that. I have always put it down to being more 'cycle fit'.

Thing is, when you have a pedelec you will likely use it more often for the ordinary chores (shopping, bank, errands) so you spend a lot more time in the saddle than you otherwise would.

There a thread on here somewhere about those of us that (cough) 'swing both ways'.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I do wet, I'm a sailor!

Reactions: Gubbins

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A bike with friggin' solar panel sails... in space! Beats sharks with friggin' lasers :rolleyes:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

bebbe

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2014
Yes, I get stronger. But I loose my cadence. The ebike works well up to aprox 85rpm. But if you want to achive long distace on a std bike around 90-95rpm is ideal. Lower will make you use more muscle but the cost is bigger straint on the knees!

So I have become faster because I get stronger. But I have to work harder to reach the right cadence to stay out of knee problems.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes, I get stronger. But I loose my cadence. The ebike works well up to aprox 85rpm. But if you want to achive long distace on a std bike around 90-95rpm is ideal. Lower will make you use more muscle but the cost is bigger straint on the knees!

So I have become faster because I get stronger. But I have to work harder to reach the right cadence to stay out of knee problems.
To rotate my legs at 95rpms for any length of time requires more energy than what is available.

bebbe

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2014
To rotate my legs at 95rpms for any length of time requires more energy than what is available.
Then your lungs should get better. But you have to be in really god shape to benefit for 90-95rpm.

But the goal when you go biking (no ebike) is to have 90rpm in cadence.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

bebbe

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2014
It is not a question of wich is most effective but a must if the knees is going to last.

If you want to reach serious goals with biking and you want to sitt in the sadle for more than 2 hours frekvently. The candence must go over 85 rpm and 90-95rpm are a perfect goal. If going under 85 the legs will work harder and the knees will be suffering.

I myself frekvently take rides around 100-200km with my roadbike and if I have low cadence it is my muscles that doing the work. With higher cadence it is more upp to my lungs and heart. And my knees hold up much better.

This is if you use the bike as a workout tool. When crusing around it does not matter if you have low or high cadence.

Skickas från min iPhone via DX8

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It is not a question of wich is most effective but a must if the knees is going to last.

If you want to reach serious goals with biking and you want to sitt in the sadle for more than 2 hours frekvently. The candence must go over 85 rpm and 90-95rpm are a perfect goal. If going under 85 the legs will work harder and the knees will be suffering.

I myself frekvently take rides around 100-200km with my roadbike and if I have low cadence it is my muscles that doing the work. With higher cadence it is more upp to my lungs and heart. And my knees hold up much better.

This is if you use the bike as a workout tool. When crusing around it does not matter if you have low or high cadence.

Skickas från min iPhone via DX8
And there is another word that's not in my vocabulary.. 200km my longest ride last year was 40 miles

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
'normal' bike is 11kg? Hmmmm. OK. If you say so.

I was in Richmond park the other day and there was a guy there with a bike that looked utterly and completely and unbelievably fancy. Like the whole thing was made out of nano-molecules or something. I asked him if I could touch it he said sure go ahead so I picked it up and be-jesus it weighed like NOTHING. He said it actually weighed 6.7kg. Wow. He also said he paid £12,000 for it. Another 'wow'.

But.

I wouldn't swap it for mine.

Mine has an engine.

:)

Reactions: anotherkiwi