E-Bikes: The phenomenon, The Problem.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
You don't put anything sticky on the printer. You stick the aluminium to a piece of paper so that the printer prints on it. You only need to hold the aluminium in place. You can have any label you want in 2 minutes if you use that method.
Self adhesive, silver DIY tape (aka Duck tape) and sellotape are both sticky. I know you don't mean 'sticky' side up, but lasers printers use heat to fuse toner (IIRC), and I don't want anything sticky going into my new printer that might bleed out and make me unhappy. If I still had access to a works photocopier, I might be tempted, or maybe I would use one in a library (if there is one still open somewhere), but I would not want to put anything other than paper through my printer. I can see the solution works, but I'm not brave enough to try it.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Self adhesive, silver DIY tape (aka Duck tape) and sellotape are both sticky. I know you don't mean 'sticky' side up,
Please show me where you got that from.
Eh? So you meant sticky side UP?

I don't know what's wrong here, but this isn't the first time you have put your own interpretation on something I've written. Above, I was confirming something you had written "nothing sticky", but Duck tape has a sticky side. It would be useless if it didn't have one. You also said to stick it to paper (with sellotape) to put it through the printer. OF COURSE the sticky side wasn't going upward. You didn't say it was, nor did you say the sticky side was going to be face down (so the printer could print on the silver side, not the sticky side).

So you didn't specifically write, "sticky side down" because it was bloody obvious that's how it has to be used, unless you are proposing we try to print on the sticky side? :rolleyes:

Duck tape, Rhino tape .....

Self-Adhesive tape.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Eh? So you meant sticky side UP?

I don't know what's wrong here, but this isn't the first time you have put your own interpretation on something I've written. Above, I was confirming something you had written "nothing sticky", but Duck tape has a sticky side. It would be useless if it didn't have one. You also said to stick it to paper (with sellotape) to put it through the printer. OF COURSE the sticky side wasn't going upward. You didn't say it was, nor did you say the sticky side was going to be face down (so the printer could print on the silver side, not the sticky side).

So you didn't specifically write, "sticky side down" because it was bloody obvious that's how it has to be used, unless you are proposing we try to print on the sticky side? :rolleyes:

Duck tape, Rhino tape .....

Self-Adhesive tape.
I haven't a clue what you're on about. You're quoting yourself. I've never mentioned duck tape, nor did I ever say sticky side up, nor did I interpret anything other than you have a misunderstanding of the original instruction.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I haven't a clue what you're on about. You're quoting yourself. I've never mentioned duck tape, nor did I ever say sticky side up, nor did I interpret anything other than you have a misunderstanding of the original instruction.
I know that. You asking me to explain the obvious was a clue.

You don't put anything sticky on the printer. You stick the aluminium to a piece of paper so that the printer prints on it. You only need to hold the aluminium in place. You can have any label you want in 2 minutes if you use that method.
You can't see your own contradiction? Many of us are wondering how you stick one object to another, without using anything "sticky"? How do you hold the aluminium in place? Climb into the printer and hold the two together, or use sellotape (as per your original method) (which is using something else - also sticky - usually) to hold the silver tape in place as it goes through the printer?

I said I wouldn't be putting anything sticky into my laser printer.

You then suggested nothing sticky would be going into the printer. ??? So not using Duck tape/Rhino tape/Sellotape?)

I countered, that Duck tape/Rhino tape/Sellotape were all in fact 'sticky', and if they weren't they wouldn't be any use to anyone. I also confirmed, I knew, when you described your procedure, at no time were you suggesting the 'sticky' part of any tape (Duck tape/Rhino tape/Sellotape) was to be used upwards (where it might stick to the insides of a printer).

If still makes no sense to you, I'm afraid you are going to need someone a lot smarter than me to help you understand.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's simple if you read the #5 correctly, one leaves the backing on the aluminum tape so there is no stickiness to get stuck . Place the ali tape over your sample printed paper , keep the ali tape in place with a bit of sellotape at the corners and then reprint the whole lot again . When it comes out the Ali tape will be printed, remove the selloptape and the now Ali label from the sample printed paper . It is now ready to stick on the frame once the backing is removed.

At know time is there any sticky face to mess up or stick to the printer innerds.

Reactions: FastFreddy2

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Duck tape

I use an ancient dot matrix printer, so my ransom notes can't be traced. I also have a very unused Inkjet printer/scanner (the scanner comes in handy at the victim targeting and information gathering stages), which can be traced like laser printers - they'd only get me into trouble. ;) If those pre-printed aluminium/alloy labels hadn't been available, and if I had a laser printer (they're as bad for you as smoking apparently, and I don't want to get even more addicted, and besides, they look hard to light), I might have tried @saneagle's method, but totally understand the nervousness at the prospect of 225°C fuser rollers coming into direct contact with sellotape. I'd not worry about the aluminium tape (not plastic surfaced "Duck"/gaffa/duct/gaffa duck with a clipboard and Range Rover tape - real gaffa ducks drive Range Rovers, especially aggressively mating Mallards), because it's aluminium surface is heat resistant - pure aluminium melts at 660.3°C. If I was going to stick the aluminum tape with it's backing to paper, to laser print onto, I'd probably stick it in place on the sheet of paper using double sided sticky tape, so plastic never comes into direct contact under "precise pressure" with 225°C fuser rollers.

Alternatively... like the label I bought pre-printed, there are blank metallic labels of various shapes and sizes puportedly designed for laser printing. Maybe print a few sheets, and sell bespoke labels to forum members? Or you too could become an ebay millionaire?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/METALLIC-Label-Self-Adhesive-Addressing-Printable/dp/B004LT7N24/

This metallic "waterproof" label is supposedly printable with inkjet or laser, and could be waterproofed with a clear vinyl layer. Large enough to print and cut out several.

Avery:

"Guaranteed performance in all popular Laser printers."

(don't use this if your laser printer is unpopular)(why is your laser printer so unpopular?)(why did you buy a printer with such propensity for unpopularity anyway? It's madness)(don't buy these labels, if your printer has no friends)

"Save time with user-friendly templates and software"

I bet you wish you'd bought a Bafang!

p.s. Get sperrings wong, for aufentipirriey.

Last edited:
  • :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Even if the 225°C fuser rollers melt sellotape (which melts at about 175°C), I imagine that it wouldn't stick to the rollers, if they're coated with non-stick (when hot) Teflon/ PTFE. Electrical tape melts at about 500°C, I think - Kapton tape is thinner and melts at acout 350°C. I almost always use an Epson dot matrix printer, so will never know... unless someone posts here about a horribly sticky jammed up disaster (or otherwise).

Or you could print onto paper and stick onto foil tape:

...then cover with clear vinyl to waterproof... but the result may not be clean.

Last edited:
  • Agree

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Even if the 225°C fuser rollers melt sellotape (which melts at about 175°C), I imagine that it wouldn't stick to the rollers, if they're coated with non-stick (when hot) Teflon/ PTFE. Electrical tape melts at about 500°C, I think - Kapton tape is thinner and melts at acout 350°C. I almost always use an Epson dot matrix printer, so will never know... unless someone posts here about a horribly sticky jammed up disaster (or otherwise).

...then cover with clear vinyl to waterproof..
You're missing something from your theory. Remember from your school physics thermal capacity, specific heat and heat transfer (conduction). I'm pretty sure that if you leave a bit of sellotape on the paper, it gets printed on, and doesn't become a molten mess.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It's simple if you read the #5 correctly, one leaves the backing on the aluminum tape so there is no stickiness to get stuck . Place the ali tape over your sample printed paper , keep the ali tape in place with a bit of sellotape at the corners and then reprint the whole lot again . When it comes out the Ali tape will be printed, remove the selloptape and the now Ali label from the sample printed paper . It is now ready to stick on the frame once the backing is removed.

At know time is there any sticky face to mess up or stick to the printer innerds.
I read the "instructions" correctly the first time, but thank you (and it's a sincere thank you) for taking the trouble to explain it in even simpler terms, the process written up previously.

What so far seems to eluded almost everyone in this increasingly frustrating debate, is that I simply said I'm not putting anything sticky through my laser printer. Duck/Rhino/Sello tapes have "sticky" on them. Therefore, I won't be using this solution to make a label. I wasn't looking for a debate. I just stated, I wasn't going to put anything sticky into my new laser printer.

For completeness, so that no-one thought I'd misunderstand the process, I also confirmed I was was aware the original author, didn't mean for anything sticky to be 'upward' as to gunge up the insides of the printer. Now for some reason, this confirmation seems to have excited the original author, who challenged me (not for the first time) to confirm where he said the sticky side would not be left face up.

Well, the process 'as described' in his original explanation says there would be nothing sticky side up, so I couldn't and can't think why he asked for me to quote where he said it wouldn't be sticky side up? (Can't he understand the process he wrote about?)

What I suspect actually happened to generate the query, was (another) misunderstanding of what I had written. Originally (the first challenge) was that he described me as rude. I may sometimes be a bit blunt, but I am never, ever rude. I can be a bit snarky, but I am never ever rude. To prove that, I publicly apologised for any perceived shortfall in my behaviour, and approached him via PM to ask what he thought I had said that appeared rude. That enquiry was ignored. Now that is rude.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I use an ancient dot matrix printer, so my ransom notes can't be traced. I also have a very unused Inkjet printer/scanner (the scanner comes in handy at the victim targeting and information gathering stages), which can be traced like laser printers - they'd only get me into trouble. ;) If those pre-printed aluminium/alloy labels hadn't been available, and if I had a laser printer (they're as bad for you as smoking apparently, and I don't want to get even more addicted, and besides, they look hard to light), I might have tried @saneagle's method, but totally understand the nervousness at the prospect of 225°C fuser rollers coming into direct contact with sellotape. I'd not worry about the aluminium tape (not plastic surfaced "Duck"/gaffa/duct/gaffa duck with a clipboard and Range Rover tape - real gaffa ducks drive Range Rovers, especially aggressively mating Mallards), because it's aluminium surface is heat resistant - pure aluminium melts at 660.3°C. If I was going to stick the aluminum tape with it's backing to paper, to laser print onto, I'd probably stick it in place on the sheet of paper using double sided sticky tape, so plastic never comes into direct contact under "precise pressure" with 225°C fuser rollers.

Alternatively... like the label I bought pre-printed, there are blank metallic labels of various shapes and sizes puportedly designed for laser printing. Maybe print a few sheets, and sell bespoke labels to forum members? Or you too could become an ebay millionaire?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/METALLIC-Label-Self-Adhesive-Addressing-Printable/dp/B004LT7N24/

This metallic "waterproof" label is supposedly printable with inkjet or laser, and could be waterproofed with a clear vinyl layer. Large enough to print and cut out several.

Avery:

"Guaranteed performance in all popular Laser printers."

(don't use this if your laser printer is unpopular)(why is your laser printer so unpopular?)(why did you buy a printer with such propensity for unpopularity anyway? It's madness)(don't buy these labels, if your printer has no friends)

"Save time with user-friendly templates and software"

I bet you wish you'd bought a Bafang!

p.s. Get sperrings wong, for aufentipirriey.
I really enjoy your posts, because I like to laugh. But I'm not spending £24 on some very nice/very suitable labels when I can get the job done by someone else for £6.

And I probably will be owning a Bafang motor sometime in the very near future, but not that one. :cool:

Reactions: guerney

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

...then cover with clear vinyl to waterproof... but the result may not be clean.
You are todays star! That is a great solution. Thanks for finding it.

Anywhere I fastened brackets or tie-wraps for cabling to the boom, I've used helicopter tape to protect the paintwork against rubbing. I can use that to protect and retain the label. Yay!

Reactions: guerney and esuark

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
You're missing something from your theory. Remember from your school physics thermal capacity, specific heat and heat transfer (conduction). I'm pretty sure that if you leave a bit of sellotape on the paper, it gets printed on, and doesn't become a molten mess.
I'm sure it won't either, but would you guarantee the adhesive won't bleed when it gets hot? Because you can't, I opted for not testing the procedure. To once again repeat my original and not debatable remark; I'm not putting anything sticky into my laser printer. Paper, and that's it.

I can afford £6 to have a label made for me.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
For those that are now scared to put selotape on paper they want to print on because of the hysterics in this thread, here's what happens if you do - nothing but clear print! Printer is an HP M12w laser printer.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For those that are now scared to put selotape on paper they want to print on because of the hysterics in this thread, here's what happens if you do - nothing but clear print! Printer is an HP M12w laser printer.

View attachment 53332
Even if the 225°C fuser rollers melt sellotape (which melts at about 175°C), I imagine that it wouldn't stick to the rollers, if they're coated with non-stick (when hot) Teflon/ PTFE.

"One of the most common uses of PTFE coatings is for the range of photocopier rollers, particularly for Fuser rollers and Pressure rollers. "

Despite all of our impressive technological achievements, the specific heat capacity of cheese remains too high, causing a great many burns and costing the UK taxpayer millions every year. Also mushrooms when rapidly baked whole, like the one which burned my throat just now.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
"One of the most common uses of PTFE coatings is for the range of photocopier rollers, particularly for Fuser rollers and Pressure rollers. "

Despite all of our impressive technological achievements, the specific heat capacity of cheese remains too high, causing a great many burns and costing the UK taxpayer millions every year. Also mushrooms when rapidly baked whole, like the one which burned my throat just now.
Eat cheese with holes in it. Air has a very low thermal capacity, which reduces the overall burning power, or better still use this trick. Put some salt crystals on a piece of bread. They should be extremely sparse and spread out. Make some toasted cheese. Cut off a small piece of the very tasty and appertitious toasted cheese and hold it under your nose while you eat the bread. You will believe that you're eating the toasted cheese, but you won't get burnt, nor will you get so fat. When the cheese has cooled down, give it to the cat, who'll love you forever.

Reactions: guerney and Oldie

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
No one here is scared, just prudent. Someone is hysterical though.....

It's Sellotape by the way. :cool:

Not that I should be giving anyone spelling lessons. I can barely read and write myself.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Car, motorbike, cycle crashes aside, the next big one was 21 years ago that pretty much f mucked up my life. Putting in some Cat V cabling in to an old Victorian shop to make it an Internet Cafe in Bristol (70 miles from home), I tripped at the top of a stairway. The treads were very short, the stairway very steep. No banister, so I couldn't break my fall. I effectively took a swallow dive down a 10ft staircase. The event played in slow motion it seemed to me, in that again, I had clear thought on the way down. Broken neck/dead? Broken back/wheelchair bound? Rather obviously, I lived, but it was a pretty serious event with me being hospitalised. While having my temporary 'plaster' replaced for my journey homeward for remedial surgery and me blitzed out of my mind on gas+air, the nurses inadvertently informed me by their subdued conversation, that likely I was going to lose an arm because of the damage to it.
Limb removal is a frightening prospect. There was disturbing talk about removing my hand, because the badger incident had broken it so awkwardly.

Well, I had taken 100% fitness for granted. I had a business that produced good money, both gone. Took a while to adjust.
It's tiring getting exercise -