E- Brompton Coming Soon - Reminder

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I've filled the form in, have I still to be patient?

paieye

Just Joined
May 3, 2017
England
Yes, but... I ride what is my 3rd Brompton, M-handle-bars, 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub. I recently had it converted by Nano Electric Bikes, and looked forward to riding it along the Loire later this month. However, Air France have adamantly refused to carry it in the hold of the aircraft in which I shall be flying, giving no explanation, save for :security concerns." (My apology if this is the wrong forum, I am new to this.)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
First mentioned by Brompton in 2010 I believe, so a few more months won't hurt after waiting over six years!
My sparticle converted brompton will be needing a100,000 mile service by the time the official brompton comes out.
My advice is don't put your name down if you are over 40 and hope to live long enough to get one.
Go out and get yours converted as I did that way you might live to enjoy it.[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes, but... I ride what is my 3rd Brompton, M-handle-bars, 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub. I recently had it converted by Nano Electric Bikes, and looked forward to riding it along the Loire later this month. However, Air France have adamantly refused to carry it in the hold of the aircraft in which I shall be flying, giving no explanation, save for :security concerns." (My apology if this is the wrong forum, I am new to this.)
You were wise not to wait!

• Disagree
Reactions: philliptjohnson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
First mentioned by Brompton in 2010 I believe, so a few more months won't hurt after waiting over six years!
It's not really not so much a promise as a guideline really, like something out of the "Pirates Code"

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
No, you just need to be young and optimistic to the point of insanity.

Well I'm almost there but not young or optimistic.

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Why have Bompton taken so long?
I reckon the delay is at the patent office where d8veh's gravity canceller that he mentioned in the past has fallen foul of one of Apples Iphone patents
Without that they can't put it on the market
;)

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why have Brompton taken so long?
Trying to do the impossible does take a long time.

As David Henshaw of A to B Magazine has always maintained, there's no such thing as a good folding e-bike, since e-powering a folder always makes it too heavy to be carried any distance.

Tony Castles, in partnership with David, produced the Nano-Brompton a few years ago, which with its tiny battery was as near as one can get. Trying to better that alone made Brompton's task difficult, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. And how much it will cost!

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Nice, my girlfriend really wants this. We where in to Brompton Junction and the personell there said it will come late summer 2017. And that the engine is special build with help from MacLaren. Will be most interesting.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hmmm McLaren... "Last Win, Nov 25th 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix" There's your answer! All the motors they have provided so far aren't fast enough :p

I was 11 when Bruce and Chris won the Le Mans 24 hours. I saw him drive at Teretonga (and Chris as well).

Am I far enough off topic now? :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Trying to do the impossible does take a long time.

As David Henshaw of A to B Magazine has always maintained, there's no such thing as a good folding e-bike, since e-powering a folder always makes it too heavy to be carried any distance.

Tony Castles, in partnership with David, produced the Nano-Brompton a few years ago, which with its tiny battery was as near as one can get. Trying to better that alone made Brompton's task difficult, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. And how much it will cost!
My Sparticle modified Brompton works well enough and it was simple enough to convert a "little Frog " battery pack to go in the Brompton bag as well, so I really can't see what their problem is, they could have had a model on the market years ago and incrementally updated the design.
So far it has been transported all over the country and I have even carried it up some quite steep stone staircases, so if a chap of 73 can do that it shouldn't strain a younger person.
And it folds every bit as well as it did as a basic bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Sparticle modified Brompton works well enough and it was simple enough to convert a "little Frog " battery pack to go in the Brompton bag as well, so I really can't see what their problem is, they could have had a model on the market years ago and incrementally updated the design.
So far it has been transported all over the country and I have even carried it up some quite steep stone staircases, so if a chap of 73 can do that it shouldn't strain a younger person.
And it folds every bit as well as it did as a basic bike.
I don't think their problem was matching these.

Having enjoyed the top carryable folder position for decades, I'd guess their target was the same dominance in e-folders.

So the delay was likely to be in trying to achieve that impossibility, until reality finally struck home.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think their problem was matching these.

Having enjoyed the top carryable folder position for decades, I'd guess their target was the same dominance in e-folders.

So the delay was likely to be in trying to achieve that impossibility, until reality finally struck home.
Which pretty much confirms my post #11 about waiting on the Gravity Cancelling device patent flecc!:cool:

Reactions: flecc

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Been off the grid for a while having retired early six weeks ago :)

My first Brompton build was in 2009 and having retired I now dont use it to work every day. Thousands of miles on my Tongxins. I have loads of spares as they have proved to me much more rialable (for small wheel bike builds) than I expected.

I love Brompton bikes but the company operation these days seems very aloof and detached. That said I guess the buisness is blooming so they must be doing something right!

What ever they serve up, it will no doubt be very expensive. It will be interesting to see their final solution. I think they will need to go a long way to improve on Tony's Tongxin with a small battery solution.

Plenty of time now for me to continue fettling my bikes :p

Jerry

Last edited: