E-motion or Kalkhoff

TonyF

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2012
I have a yearning for an electric bike. I now live in a very hilly area and can't manage my old hybrid around here (getting on a bit in years).

I have been looking at an E-motion City 700 £1849 which has a Derailleur gear set and a Panasonic crank drive.

I have to to go a lot further to try out a 2012 Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse £1895.00, which has a hub gear. and an impulse crank motor.

I am used to a Derailleur and am not sure about a hub drive.

Should I just go with the E-motion or drive 100 miles to try a Kalkhoff at 50 cycles.

What do you think?

Tony French

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's always best to try both Tony, even though that does mean travelling. Some have noted that the BH E-motion bikes use lower grade components than the best makes like Kalkhoff, so it would be best to check the specifications carefully.

A hub gear is very free of maintenance compared to a derailleur and gains the advantage of being able to select any gear while standing still. On the other hand, the gear change while cycing is slightly slower since it's best to ease the pedal pressure for a moment during changes to ensure they are smooth.

TonyF

Jul 9, 2012
Thanks flecc, I appreciate the advice, that what what my instincts were telling, try one out. I guess I will be off to Loughborough on Monday.
When I tried the E-motion at On Bike, I really enjoyed it, but the Kalkhoff gets some good write ups as well.

On the subject of hub gears, I assume they use epicyclics. Are they metal or plastic.
Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, epicyclics and all metal. The Shimano hub gears are the best and their 8 speed hub about as good as they get.

TonyF

Jul 9, 2012
I rang 50 cycles this morning with a view to driving over there and was told that the salesman is not in today so can't have a ride. I guess they are a very small business. Oh Well, just as well I didn't drive 100 miles on the off chance.
Tony

D

Deleted member 4366

Didn't you try one of the E-motion Neos? Huge climbing power and much more durable drive system than a crank-drive. I found that 36v Panasonic drive to be horrible by comparison - in particular a rather frightening clunk as it takes up the power. The Bafang BPM2 motor in the Neo was smooth, strong and quiet, and very pleasant to ride when I tested it up the rather steep Park street at the show in Bristol.
IMHO the Bosch drives are much better than the Panasonic, but still not as strong as the Neo's hub motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyF

Jul 9, 2012
No, I didn't try the Neo although there were one or two in the showroom. I had pretty much made my mind up after looking at reviews that I wanted a crank drive. Thanks for the information. If I don't get on with Kalkhoff, I will give the Neo a go as well.
Tony

D

Deleted member 4366

The Neo has set a new standard in climbing power for "UK-legal" hub-bikes. I guess most reviewers of those crank-drives have never ridden one as they're fairly new.

TonyF

Jul 9, 2012
When I went to the Kidderminster branch of On Bikes, I took a few rides round a circuit that has a moderate incline to test the pulling power. That incline is nothing loke the hills where I live and I can't ride anywhere and avoid the hills which is why hill climbing ability is a priority for me. I need to get out and exercise. I figured that a hub drive when climbing hills would only be revolving slowly, a crank drive can power through the gears and therefore keep the revs of the motor up.
I am definately no expert but as these things are so expensive, I want to make sure I get a bike that I can use.
Thanks for the input
Tony

Jeff Mowatt

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2007
I can vouch for the 8 speed hub on the Kalkhoff which seems problem free. I've shredded one or two derailleurs over the years and there's no gear change urgency in the kind of cycling I do.

I've read here that the Kalkhoff impulse has a firmware upgrade which improves hill climbing performance but other than taking mine to Loughborough, haven't been able to get a response on how to get the upgrade from 50 Cycles.

TonyF

Jul 9, 2012
I've read here that the Kalkhoff impulse has a firmware upgrade which improves hill climbing performance but other than taking mine to Loughborough, haven't been able to get a response on how to get the upgrade from 50 Cycles.
I have been to 50cycles at Loghborough and orderd an Agattu C8. Very pleased with the test drive. so I have ordered one. Can't wait to rest it on our hills.

To answer Jeffs query about updating the firmware. I spoke to jim and he has said that if you will give him a ring he will post you the handheld device which updates the firmware. Does this help.
Tony