ebay ebike kit good or bad choice

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I am new to electric bikes,, and as i already have a Gary Fisher mtb i bought off my mate,, I would like to fit a electric kit to it and my weight is 19 stone so wat power would i need and are the cheap kits on ebay ok to use and are most kits out there from china?:confused:
Thanks Steve

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum. Yes most kits are from China. On Ebay choose with care, 250w is the legal nominal power limit in the UK....in use the motors deliver far higher peak power so don't let it put you off. Avoid direct drive motors, they are very heavy, very had to pedal unassisted and watt for watt deliver less hill climbing torque than their geared cousins. Look for geared brushless motor kits. Setting a budget is a good idea and don't skimp on the battery, Ping make a very good battery and some members here have found a low cost battery available from Ebay that seems to be working OK from the first reports.

Search the forum for Sunlova as some have had good results with this kit also check out Alien Ocean up in Scotland as they supply some very well thought out kits....remember you only get what you pay for in general and some of the seemingly tempting low price kits on Ebay are more trouble than they are worth.....

D

Deleted member 4366

Fitting a kit to a decent mountain bike can be a little tricky unless you are good at making minor mechanical mods. If your bike has rear suspension, the first thing to think about is how and where you will fit the battery. The kits either give you a bag to fix to your rack or a complete rack with the battery that won't fit to a rear suspension bike. Next thing to think about is your gearchangers. If you have twist type or quickshifters, you'll have difficulty fitting the throttle and handlebar switches, Thirdly, there are thin and thick pedal sensors. The thick type won't fit if you have a tripple chainwheel. All these things can be overcome if you are good with tools, but require a lot of head scratching and more money.
I had the same idea as you so I've done all this, and I also bought a cheap ready-made e-bike for about the same cost as a kit, so my recommendation is that you get a cheap ready made one. You'll probably find that it's ok, but if you don't like it, you can figure out how to swap the electric bits onto your other bike. Kits with batteries start at about £400. Ready-made bikes start from about £500 and some of them are basically cheap bikes with a kit already fitted. You have to ask whether you need all that hassle for the sake of £100 difference. Have a look on Ebay for cheap e-bikes. Then, when you choose one, post a link here before you buy it and I'm sure everyone here will be able to point out the good and bad points.

C

Cyclezee

I am new to electric bikes,, and as i already have a Gary Fisher mtb i bought off my mate,, I would like to fit a electric kit to it and my weight is 19 stone so wat power would i need and are the cheap kits on ebay ok to use and are most kits out there from china?:confused:
Thanks Steve
In my opinion and that several people on the forum, Ezee offer the best kits from China or anywhere for that matter. They can supply kits to suit almost any type of bike and give excellent performance with proven reliability.
In the UK they are available from Onbike who give a high level of support.
Ezee may not be as cheap as some offerings on eBay, but you can be assured of buying a quality product.

J:) hn

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I agree with the Ezee kit advice. I fitted one to my fs mountian bike and it fitted 1st time and was very easy to do. The advantage is that the hub is powerful and quiet (after running in) and is disc brake compatible and relatively light (~3.5kg) and you can get different rpm versions up to 300rpm for a bit more speed.
Mounting a battery is the most difficult bit. I use a topeak RX rack.
My friend has a big powerful direct drive hub and it weighs about double, has resistance when pedalling without power and is V brake only.

C

Cyclezee

Mounting a battery is the most difficult bit. I use a topeak RX rack.
Ezee have alternative mounting battery options for kit bikes, a double decker rack, a seat post mounted rack and the rear rack mounting battery bag.

Ezee_Kit.jpg14Ah_Upgrade.jpg

J:) hn​

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also recommend the eZee kit as being the best balance of price/quality/adaptability/performance/reliability there is.

It's the only kit I'd personally consider at present, far too many unknowns or known unreliability issues with many of the others. For some circumstances the Heinzmann kit is worth considering, but it's far too expensive to be realistic for most.

I also recommend the eZee kit as being the best balance of price/quality/adaptability/performance/reliability there is.
I do not sell the ezee-kit but i agree in all point, it is a good kit for your money

I had some talk to them, i think it was one time the father and onetime the son on different Exhibition´s. I appriciate there claim to make a good product.

Ezee is different from many other company´s in China and they show that in China it is possible to produce high class products, if the customer not only look on the cheapest price, he will find a good offer in ezee product´s

regards
frank

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
All very well and good for the Ezee kit as long you can afford the £500 (!) or £350 quid difference between it and the Sulova and Alien.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All very well and good for the Ezee kit as long you can afford the £500 (!) or £350 quid difference between it and the Sulova and Alien.....
But to put this into perspective, it's much cheaper than the Heinzmann and BionX kits so mid-market rather than expensive.

It's also very much more versatile than the BionX, Sunlove and Alien kits, with the options for speed adjusted wheel sizes, disc brake, front or rear wheel fitting, a range of top manufacturer battery options with two capacities and two chemistries, and rack mounting equipment alternative.

That makes it good value in my view.

C

Cyclezee

It's also very much more versatile than the BionX, Sunlove and Alien kits, with the options for speed adjusted wheel sizes, disc brake, front or rear wheel fitting, a range of top manufacturer battery options with two capacities and two chemistries, and rack mounting equipment alternative.
Actually Tony there are three 36v capacities available in the UK, 10Ah Li-pol, 14Ah Li-pol and 8.5Ah LiFePO4. There is also a 48v 8Ah battery which is not available in the UK yet.

48V8_Upgrade.jpg

C

Cyclezee

I have owned bikes powered the same 8 Fun/Suzhou Bafang motors as supplied by both Alien and Sunlova and have to say they are OK, but not as good as the Ezee kit. I have also owned a Bionx kit powered bike and they are good in 350w guise, but the maximum battery size is 36v 10Ah. The Bionx battery alone would cost more than a complete Ezee kit, so although Ezee may not be the cheapest, it offers the best value for money.

Last edited by a moderator:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Well there we will have to agree to disagree ;)

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
If your bike has rear suspension, the first thing to think about is how and where you will fit the battery. The kits either give you a bag to fix to your rack or a complete rack with the battery that won't fit to a rear suspension bike.
I fitted the Topeak MTX beam rack (A type because I have a small frame) to my full suspension MTB and chose the small trunk bag. This will work for any kit with any sized controller and any sized battery although if the battery is massive you may need the larger trunk bag.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I want to thank you all for the advice and i am still confused!
If i win the lottery its has to be an optibike 850R instead of a bolt on kit as they look very well built.