EBCO UCL60 - Comments ?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Seems Halfords are selling 2012 models off cheaply.

I just put a deposit down on one for my daughter to try. She has M.E and I built her an ebike a few years ago which she uses daily, but its in need of replacing now.

This one is going for £375 with a 12 month warranty ? These listed at £1499 initally when they came out. Quality of bike and components seems high incl a SHIMANO full Nexus 8 rear hub.

Thoughts/comments ?

EBCO URBAN COMMUTER UCL-60 :: £1499.00 :: COMMUTING & LIFESTYLE BIKES :: Electric Bikes :: Chamberlaine Cycles London Bike Shop

Kind of the opposite extreme for me and my light weight folding bikes lol

They also have the UCR 60 (mountain bike version) on the same offer if anyone is interested.

Big and heavy but my daughter uses it for shopping etc. Its only 24v which may restrict power but we will see when she returns tomorrow and we go try it. I will report back.

PS here is a favorable review

http://www.electricbikemag.co.uk/showStory.php?storynum=98

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
For that sort of money, you can't go wrong IMO, especially as it comes with 12 months warranty!

Halfords warranty is pretty good from my experience too.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Did you stumble across them in your local Halfords or did you find them on the net? I can't see anything on their website in fact they only have 4 bikes listed so wonder if they are exiting from the market?

It looks a good option for my wife which is why I'm interested.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes its my local Cambridge store I saw them. I think these are display models they have had the last 12 months.

I told them I would mention they have a UCR60 mountain bike on this sale too. A steal at £375 I think given it also has a high spec i.e. SHIMANO full Nexus 8 rear hub as well. They only have the one and I have put a deposit on and this other one as well.

Even if my daughter does not want it I will get it for my wife so we can out for longer rides electrically assisted :p

Jerry

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I would be in like Flynn for that price, but I am in the wrong country :(
The only issue your daughter may have is the pressure required for the roller brakes if you have steep down hills.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I hope that your daughter fully recovers very soon from that illness. At least by getting her an ebike will surely keep her around and about, which also can help in the aid of joint movement.

MS

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks MS. She has had the condition since her second year of Uni when she had to take a year off. She returned home and spent three months in bed. All very traumatic for someone so young. The condition is better understood now but even back then there was a lot of misunderstanding and judgement even from myself. Fortunately she completed her degree and it has now been a couple more years since.

The condition is debilitating but she has learnt to manage it and is now independent. Part of this independence has been down to the use of an ebike which I built for her a couple of years ago. She uses it everywhere :)

I have been looking for another donor bike to replace it, but frankly at this prices and quality I don't think I could do better with a DIY build.

The original an old MTB with a Tongxin in it. Being going great for about 2 years with two of my smal DIY batteries.

The EBCO UCL-60

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
"EBCO Ebikes use the very latest Lithium Polymer batteries"

Do they mean Li-Ion or do they really use Polymer batteries ?

Jerry

C

Cyclezee

Hi Jerry,

I see that Halfords in Stevenage have one in stock for a penny short of £900, so £375 is a bargain.

Hope you have reserved it;)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hope you have reserved it;)
Yep put down 10% yesterday :p

They still have the mens version UCR60 at the same price if anyone wants it.

PS Halfords stock the lower spec ones UCL 20 in most branches but these don't have the Nexus 8 rear hub, suspension front forks, roller brakes and have a smaller battery.

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Picked the bike up after work after we both first took it out for a spin round the car park outside Halfords.

We were really surprised how much torque it had given it only has a 24V battery. Its certainly more than her DIY build which is 36V and has a Tongxin in the front wheel.

In usual Halfords fashion they have not set it up right. Both roller brakes need adjusting and the Nexus hub does not go into eighth gear and slips in all gears under five :rolleyes:

My daughter rode it home rather than putting it in the car and of course being use to throttle only she found it a complete different riding experience, not helped in that she could only pull away in 5th and arrived home pretty tired. She said it was so much easier to ride with no power compared to her DIY bike shown above. Having taken it out I realise that with pedelec you really need to work through the gears when you ride. Her favorite things are the step through (its so easy to get off and on dad), the night lights and the fact she now has a 25 mile plus range over her 8 mile range with one of my DIY batteries. Her not so favorite things are the huge handle bar arrangement and Star Trek Voyager display panel affair as she calls it. Oh and she said I wish I could have had it in blue!

I now need to spend some time setting it up and tracking down one or two annoying rattles. Will probably put a Marathon Plus on the rear wheel as the Kendra will last about two minutes before puncturing. Don't fancy having to try and fix a puncture on the road side taking out the wheel with that rear hub and all the chain guard assembly.

I notice it also has a torque sensor on the chain side rear dropout. I have a bit of learning curve to figure out how the electrics are set up. Glad it has a 12 month guarantee as hopefully any problems will arise during that time. I suspect the specific spares will be hard to come by and expensive!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited: