Ebike battery fire

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Until I got in to ebikes I'd have laughed at you if you told me there was such a thing as 58.8V charger....education could make a significant difference to the amount of fires and deaths we're seeing.
The problem is the average member of the public is totally clueless about batteries and charging. Most couldn't even tell you the difference between voltage and amps...

Plus, the industry does not help with such a plethora of voltages etc. So what is a 48V battery? 13s or 14s? Some manufacturers label a nominal 36V battery as "40V" or I've even seen 14s packs as "56V". Then that's not even starting on different battery chemistries, Li-ion/Lipo, LiFePO4 etc... in addition, even if the voltage is correct, is the charger current matched to the size of the pack? It is quite easy to attach a 5 A charger to a small pack and charge it too quickly.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One wonders if the figures are true or just unknowledgable users who don't know the difference between the nominal battery voltage and the relating max charge voltage of said charger. 36v nom battery needing a max 42v charger , many are likely to be completely confused by the tow differences thus thinking they have a wrong charger.
There'd surely be a great many more fires if 36V batteries were being charged with 48V, 52V or 72V etc. chargers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
14s can't be regarded as 48v as the nominal can't be near 48v or 3.7v , the nearest it can get is 3.42v per cell which is not far from empty.

Too much muddying of the waters with those who use intermediate voltages, I use 12s /44v and call it just that not 36v nor 48v. It is an in between voltage.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
All ebike batteries should come with a difficult to remove asset type sticker that tells you the correct charger rating to use, so for my 52V Hailong it would have a sticker saying:

******WARNING******
ONLY USE MANUFACTURERS
58.8V CHARGER TO AVOID FIRE!

*******************************​
what about the current??

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
******WARNING******
ONLY USE MANUFACTURERS
58.8V 2A CHARGER TO AVOID FIRE!

TokyoElbow

Just Joined
Oct 20, 2023
An acquired taste for sure lol. Delicious too, if you try to acquire the taste really really really hard. Reminds me, must ferment some more.

" His diet is also designed to keep him fighting fit, consisting mostly of fish, vegetables, miso soup, seaweed and natto, a fermented soybean dish. "

Works with other beans too. I've worked out how to make natto "The World's Most Disgusting Food" in batches weighing about 2.5kg using a yoghurtmaker. It gets all stringy the moment the beans are moved. Easy to digest. Not at all gusty.

View attachment 52920
I used to live in Japan, and I absolutely love the stuff, the smell and everything about it.

NUFF SED

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So if you eat it, does it increase or decrease the risk of an Ebike battery fire ?
There'd be less ambient methane in the home, than if the ebike battery fire owning occupant had been eating unfermented beans, therefore wouldn't make the ebike fire worse than say, if he'd been eating baked beans? Also the fire wouldn't be as smelly. Reminds me, must make another batch of natto...

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Good for harvesting cells for your lights and powerbanks. You can buy the powerbank cases from Ebay really cheap. Put the cells in, and they make good Xmas presents.
Indeed and if it were advertised for such and not as a 'used' ebike battery alluding its viable i wouldn't have passed comment.