ebike for 50yr old and 3yr old toddler

robindahood

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2022
I'm new to ebikes and biking in general, haven't ridden since childhood.
I'm looking to go bike riding with the kids, have a 3 yr old toddler looking to get a toddler seat on the top bar so has a good view ahead and not stuck behind.

Type of riding will be country parks, scenic places and roads for general getting about and keeping fit. Some of the roads and country parks have hills.

I understand torque is a key thing to look for - would 60Nm+ be minimum I should be looking at?

The whole bike components just confuse me so don't know what are decent specs.

I've got a budget of around £2,000 - can stretch to £2,500 if need be. But ideally, the lower cost the better :)

Also what happens when batteries and motors fail - how easy are they to replace?

I think it's better to get detachable battery - if it dies, can at least replace it rather than those builtin types.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Unless the country parks are somewhere like the peaks with really steep hills a less powerful motor than 60mn should be fine. Removable battery is good for replacement, carrying spare if you want really long rides, and for charging (especially in winter if the bike is kept outside, never charge below freezing, preferably quite a bit above).

I suggest as a first look https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino. All standard easily replaced parts. I'm not sure what the torque on its motor is, though. If you go for something like a Bosch system bike any fixes or replacements come very expensive.

Reactions: robindahood

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
If you are looking to use a toptube kid seat, then the mounting bars may interfere with the downtube battery, so it might be worth looking at bikes with a rear rack battery, something like this

robindahood

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2022
If you are looking to use a toptube kid seat, then the mounting bars may interfere with the downtube battery, so it might be worth looking at bikes with a rear rack battery, something like this

Thanks,

Interesting point, there are varying front toddler seat, would make sure that it would be compatible.

robindahood

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2022
Unless the country parks are somewhere like the peaks with really steep hills a less powerful motor than 60mn should be fine. Removable battery is good for replacement, carrying spare if you want really long rides, and for charging (especially in winter if the bike is kept outside, never charge below freezing, preferably quite a bit above).

I suggest as a first look https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino. All standard easily replaced parts. I'm not sure what the torque on its motor is, though. If you go for something like a Bosch system bike any fixes or replacements come very expensive.
Thanks, there are some hills in the country parks and some uphill roads near where live - not massively steep - just thinking with the added weight of the toddler, going uphill, might need some extra oopf - so not what sure what min torque I would need.

Been looking around, have seen some nice Haibike, Cube, Giant bikes all seem to be around £2,000 - £2,500 - not sure if I need to spend this much.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To give you some idea of what a 80nm torqued mid-motor (Bafang bbs01b 250W 36V kit converted Dahon Helios P8 2006 folding bike with 19.2ah battery containing LG MH1 cells) is capable of pushing up steep hills - with effort, mine manages a trailer trailer+water = 83.6kg, plus 22.41kg converted bike and my 10 stones. And that's with 52T front chainring to 32T rear cassette. Descending steep gravelly inclines is however, very hazardous :eek: without better brakes than V, and more appropriate tyres than Marathon Plus.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Been looking around, have seen some nice Haibike, Cube, Giant bikes all seem to be around £2,000 - £2,500 - not sure if I need to spend this much.
Repeating what I said earlier: If you go for something like a Bosch system bike any fixes or replacements come very expensive. Most of those will almost certainly have a system with proprietary electrics, with all the lockin and potential expense that brings.

That said, we have a Bosch driven Raleigh Motus we bought second hand 4 years ago. It has been quite good; the only issues have been cutouts due to the badly designed battery and display mounts which we have been able to rectify ourselves. On the other hand, our Woosh XF07 kit of fairly standard parts has been without any issues over a little more than 4 years; touch wood.