ebike for hills.

squiffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2023
Hello all, we (my wife & I) are looking for a couple of foldable ebikes and are, of course, overwhelmed by the choice.

We don't care about how fast it will go, nor do we care about throttle-only performance (we want to peddle), but we do care about making light work of hills. We will be carrying them in the back of our motorhome and want to have a nice, leisurely experience exploring local areas in the UK and Europe as we are no spring chickens.

Problem with most reviews is that everyone seems obsessed with raw throttle power (I thought throttles were illegal?).

So my question is - could anyone recommend an up-to-£1k-ish-but-could-go-a-bit-over foldable UK legal ebike whos selling point is its great at assisting up hills? Personal experiences rate higher than youtube influencer videos...

My shortlist is a long as your arm but made with very little references to the features we want (fido d4s, ewenge c20pro, ado af20, wooshbikes rambletta, ......)

Thank you all (and I will continue to read existing posts on this site, it's where I got the wooshbikes and fido bikes from).

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Well, you've got already got Woosh Rambletta on the list which would be my first suggestion. That's based on personal experience with Woosh and similar good experiences by many others here, NOT on knowledge and experience with that bike or the others..

(NOT added when I reread what I'd written and realized I'd written it wrong.)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

squiffy

Apr 8, 2023
Well, you've got already got Woosh Rambletta...
Thanks.

I'd never heard of them until I joined this site. Never once came up in a google search in the 3 weeks I've been intensely researching. Does seem well liked on here.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
The amount of assistance on hills will be largely dependent upon the amount of torque the motor has. More torque will get you up hills better but will use up battery more quickly - you can't have it all ways. I have a Rambletta which is around 45Nm torque and find it gives surprisingly good help on hills.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
The amount of assistance on hills will be largely dependent upon the amount of torque the motor has. More torque will get you up hills better but will use up battery more quickly - you can't have it all ways. I have a Rambletta which is around 45Nm torque and find it gives surprisingly good help on hills.
Add Decathlon to your list. Example: 20 Inch Electric FOLDING BIKE btwin 500E - Grey/black Similar to the Woosh Rambletta but lighter on torque, range and weight - given a pretty good review 2 years ago. New version higher on torque etc . Good experiences with Decathlon but not with these particular bikes - sale price on the at the moment on older one.

Last edited:

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Add Decathlon to your list. Example: 20 Inch Electric FOLDING BIKE btwin 500E - Grey/black Similar to the Woosh Rambletta but lighter on torque, range and weight - given a pretty good review 2 years ago. New version higher on torque etc . Good experiences with Decathlon but not with these particular bikes - sale price on the at the moment on older one.
Just thought I would add, don't dismiss a low torque/lower weight option such as above. My experience of my old ultralight Bickerton classic folder (non-electric) was that lightness for example when lifting out of car or campervan trumps the hill-climbing ability (but then I equally enjoy walking up hills pushing a bike provided it is light). In my U3A cycling group a couple in a similar position to yourselves found the lifting in and out of a folding electric bike increasingly difficult. Peter

squiffy

Apr 8, 2023
A kit on a non-ebike?
I have started to think down that route. Choose a good bike first, then worry about adding the electrics.

We are going away for a few weeks in the van and want bikes for that, so I'm thinking down the cheap ebike route to get over the initial need, but a proper bike and conversion for the long term.

Problem is, there's just too much choice ... :)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can the Rambletta be fitted with a BBS01B? Or a TSDZ2?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can the Rambletta be fitted with a BBS01B? Or a TSDZ2?
The frame will take either. If I use the tsdz2, the bike will be 21kgs instead of 20kgs. If I use the bbs01, 21.5kgs with 36v 12ah battery. Then, it would be tempting to fit a 3 speed hub gear. I did something similar about 9 years ago.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-cdn
It's difficult to make something ahead of its time if you are a small company. I also did a similar bike with carbon belt.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello all, we (my wife & I) are looking for a couple of foldable ebikes and are, of course, overwhelmed by the choice.

We don't care about how fast it will go, nor do we care about throttle-only performance (we want to peddle), but we do care about making light work of hills. We will be carrying them in the back of our motorhome and want to have a nice, leisurely experience exploring local areas in the UK and Europe as we are no spring chickens.

Problem with most reviews is that everyone seems obsessed with raw throttle power (I thought throttles were illegal?).

So my question is - could anyone recommend an up-to-£1k-ish-but-could-go-a-bit-over foldable UK legal ebike whos selling point is its great at assisting up hills? Personal experiences rate higher than youtube influencer videos...

My shortlist is a long as your arm but made with very little references to the features we want (fido d4s, ewenge c20pro, ado af20, wooshbikes rambletta, ......)

Thank you all (and I will continue to read existing posts on this site, it's where I got the wooshbikes and fido bikes from).
Firstly, disregard anything that anybody tells you about their experience or recommendation, when they don't mention their weight/mass, the precise incline of their hills and their circumstances, in particular, their fitness and the amount of riding they do.

Secondly, all motors make approximately the same power. There is no such thing as a 45 nm motor. The amount of power or torque you get to climb a hill depends on the control system and battery, not the motor.

There are four significant characteristics that determine the hill-climbing ability.
1. The current that the control system feeds to the motor. Torque is directly proportional. No seller or manufacturer tells you the current nor the watts, but they're all pretty similar in the range 12 to 15 amps, so not a big difference in practice.
2. Battery voltage. Again, torque is more or less directly proportional. Nearly every bike is either 24v, 36v or 48v. 48v will give double the torque of a 46v system, do choose a bike with that if you want the most torque
3. Wheel size. For the same motor and control system, the smaller the wheel, the more torque you get.
4. Mass or weight. The lighter the combined mass of the rider and bike are, the easier it goes up any incline. With a rider of 80kg and bike of 20kg, each 1kg added requires 1 % more power to go up a hill at the same speed. You can save weight by not wearing heavy shoes or clothes, and not fitting accessories to the bike. Beware that most light bikes get their light weight by having a small battery, that might be limited on current because of its small size, as well as not being able to take you far.

Summary
An average 36v bike with average 15 amp control system and 20" wheels can get an unfit 80kg rider up all but the steepest hills (20%+). If you're 100kg or more or if you have exceptionally steep hills, you need 48v, of which there are many on Ebay. Avoid 24v bikes.

Other considerations
Many of these sub £1000 bikes have some cost cutting in their choice of parts. The things to look out for are
1. Gearing. Often the gearing is low because of the cheap gears and small wheel size. That's great for going up hills, but very inconvenient going down. Look for one that has 11 or 12 teeth on the top gear unless the chainwheel is very big (52T)
2. Disc brakes are always better than rim brakes on these bikes. Rim brakes are very hood when you try them out, but need constant attention to keep them good, and even then, they can be very grabby, so not good in an emergency.
3. Battery size. Multiply the volts by the amp-hours to get watt-hours, which is the currency you have to deal with. On those sort of bikes, 300wh will get you 20 miles if you put in some effort. Therefore, 450wh will get you 30 miles, etc. When the seller tells you it's a 20 amp battery, they mean 10Ah, not 10A, so a 36v one will be 460wh.
4. Control system. If you do get a bike that can provide high torque, it can be very jerry at low speed. The only way you know if this is OK is to try it. Some bikes have better control systems than others, but didderent ones suit different people.
5. Battery in the frame. Many of these sort of bikes have the battery in the main frame tube. Look out for ones that have a connector in the folding hinge, which is most of them. That connector can give big problems when the hinge wears or isn't aligned properly. Some are better than others. Rack batteries and batteries behind the seat tube are generally more reliable and easier to deal with.

I didn't mention crank-drive bikes because they're mainly above your price range, but also I think the simplicity of a hub motor in that type of bike is a much better solution, especially as you can easily get enough torque for anybody when you have 20" wheels.

Finally, the last and maybe most import point as many people find out sooner or later. All ebikes need something fixing sooner or later. Some bikes have closed systems, so you have to buy the parts from them or worse still get the bike fixed by them. The main problem with closed systems is that it's not easy to figure out what's wrong. The cheaper unbranded bikes tend to have open systems with standard parts that are easy to obtain and easy to diagnose and fix yourself. If you're going to rely on a dealer to fix your bike, you must buy from a local dealer whatever they have, otherwise fixing your bike will develop into a big problem. If you want to fix the bike yourself and have the cheapest solution, make sure you buy a bike that has standard electrical parts, that rules out some Halfords bikes, Decathlon bikes and many bikes from local dealers.

Last edited:

squiffy

Apr 8, 2023
Firstly, disregard anything that anybody tells you about their experience or recommendation, when they don't mention their weight/mass, the precise incline of their hills and their circumstances, in particular, their fitness and the amount of riding they do .......
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. A bit to digest in there as I attempt to apply it to the bikes I've "short" listed (about 3000 of them!)

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Get disk brakes if you can, they are normally better and can be less maintenance overall, hydraulics are OK, not sure I liked the cable drived disks I tried.

However the cable driven rim brakes on my 16" Wheel Brompton are perfectly adequate on the road and many many thousands of Brompton riders would likely agree. Maintenance is not a big issue, a regular visual check for sure, but you can tell in use when they may need attention.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Well, I think I am going to do a folder conversion. I'm 12 stone and moderately fit, but not cycling fit (I'm a keen caver). My hills are all Mendip so some moderately hilly terrain. My 26 inch MTB conversion is great (although needs slightly lower gearing so planning a cassette change). I am considering a tsdz2 conversion (already have a 48v battery). I also have a tern folder but these have suffered frame failures so will seek out a used dahon, probably with a steel frame. I want supper hill climbing for the 12 mile supermarket round trip with the killer hill on the way back. I can also to take on the bus when I get the bus to Bristol to see my son. Should still be good for 15+ mph so ok for short trips.

I agree with comments that you need to think carefully about your circumstances and what bike will meet them. For me it needs to be mid-drive.

C

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do you find the buses will accept an eBike folder ?
I haven't had any problems, but if I ever do... I'll stow the battery in a bag and if it bursts into flames, it'll be thrown out of the emergency broken window at a escooter.

The frame will take either. If I use the tsdz2, the bike will be 21kgs instead of 20kgs. If I use the bbs01, 21.5kgs with 36v 12ah battery.
Keeping the price under £1000 sounds to me quite impossible, but if you could, a Rambletta or some other 20" wheeled folding bike, sporting a BBS01B would look great IMHO, tackle nearly any hill. My second-hand donor bike cost me £100, £809 for the BBS01B kit with 19.2ah battery. Autoselect chainring via a dropdown user selection of rider weight? Many people use their 20" folding bikes for more than just final mile, or a couple of miles pootling about. Can't just be me surely.

@Woosh - BTW Are you selling the BBS01B or BBS01? The picture states BBS01:

Product ID: 178-bbs01-17AH

80kg and bike of 20kg
Welcome back Dave! Have you sold your super cool and super rare Ibanez? My Yamaha Pacifica needs tricked out pickups, but I'm making do with amp modelling via a Line 6 Amplifi TT routed through a Korg Kaosspad, which sounds more bonkers as it sounds. How's Guildford compared to Telford? Which ford will you move to next?

It's difficult to calculate using Google Maps, because it isn't clear whther they are measuring road distance or map distance... but... a local "17.9%" (feels and looks steeper than that, and it's steeper in some parts than others) hill (and steeper) is/are no problem for my 22.41kg bike with 19.2ah battery, 15A with 100% keep current, even when I weighed an unfit but strong 87kg, 52T>34T, and even while hauling a 90kg+ bike trailer, but it's even easier now that I weigh 68kg and am getting lighter. Hauling the 90kg+ trailer up that and other similarly steep and steeper hills, is at the limit of my capability - I could drop to a 42T or 48T (I have both), but I can't stand speed reduction on the flats. However, my bike is becoming heavier :rolleyes:

I failed to ascend a 45 degree incline last summer, the motor was game but the balance of my bike wasn't. It was very frustrating because I wanted to eat a kebab at the top while enjoying the view, after a hard days digging. Thankfully, the kebab was still warm that summer moonlit night after I pushed the bike up with walk assist, and the Coke still cold.

I also have a tern folder but these have suffered frame failures so will seek out a used dahon, probably with a steel frame.
C H White told me that they have had over the years, very few problems with the older Dahon frame designs which feature the vertical reinforcement bar above the hinge of aluminium folding bikes, also known as the "Rebar". Both my old aluminium 20" and 26" wheeled bike frames have rebars. The 26" Dahon Esperesso hasn't been converted (or restored) yet, but I expect there will be some horizontal frame flex at high torque if I use a mid drive, because there is a little of that on my 20" Helios P8, which hasn't caused any problems. Quite honestly I wouldn't have noticed it at all if the hinge hadn't made creaking noises, because it hadn't been oiled since leaving the factory in 2006. Three in 1 sewing machine oil>hinge>sorted.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
BTW Are you selling the BBS01B or BBS01? The picture states BBS01:
It's an old picture. It goes to show that I am a natural conservative!
BBS01B for a long time, since 2014? AFAIK, Bafang don't make the original BBS01 version since around that time.
The main improvements were water proofing and better quality FETs. I haven't replaced a single FET in BBSes for maybe 4-5 years.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Your bus drivers are obviously more tolerant than in Leicester. I was refused on occasion with my non-electrified folded Bickerton (unbagged). I never even tried the short time I had the friction drive on it. Peter

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was refused on occasion with my non-electrified folded Bickerton (unbagged).
What the heck? :oops:

Although a lot of bus company Ts and Cs pretty much specify Brompton, by the quoted folded dimensions of bikes they will carry, I haven't had any problems so far...but when I have my bike, I don't usually travel by bus, and when I do, it's mostly at night when there aren't many pasengers. The battery on the rear rack is always covered by two hi-viz waterproof rucksack covers, which could be mistaken for a bag, and when my bike is folded, the motor can be missed by a casual glance.