Help! Ebike Motion X35 Mahle system

Esensium300W

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2022
Ebike Motion X35: Can some one perhaps a bicycle mechanic skilled in electric bikes explain why a Software Upgrade or a replacement PASS SENSOR (pulse sensor) or replacement cassette lock ring fitted with magnets, will prevent the motor from intermittent power cut offs. The bikes motor is faulty and It seems impossible to try and fix such issues without going to a bike shop mechanic skilled and knowledgeable in Ebike motion X35 Mahle motor systems. As a cyclist always used to mending your own bike unless it becomes just to frustrating, suddenly, ebikes take away the DIY aspect of bike maintenance. Can customers perform their own software updates? No. Can customers buy their own leads or use the dealer Mahle application to access the management system? No. Can customers buy the leads dealers have for maintenance? With a lot of difficulty if your lucky……an some one perhaps a bicycle mechanic skilled in electric bikes explain why a Software Upgrade or a replacement PASS SENSOR (pulse sensor) or replacement cassette lock ring fitted with magnets, will prevent the motor from intermittent power cut offs. The bikes motor is faulty and It seems impossible to try and fix such issues without going to a bike shop mechanic skilled and knowledgeable in Ebike motion X35 Mahle motor systems. As a cyclist always used to mending your own bike unless it becomes just to frustrating, suddenly, ebikes take away the DIY aspect of bike maintenance. Can customers perform their own software updates? No. Can customers buy their own leads or use the dealer Mahle application to access the management system? No. Can customers buy the leads dealers have for maintenance? With a lot of difficulty if your lucky……

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly you have enterer in the world of 'Locked in/closed' ebike servicing and sales.
Like Bosh and other systems the electronics use CANbus comm's to prevent the diy/self maintenance route, this means you have no choice but to keep going back to the dealer for either warranty repairs or once out of warranty expensive parts and service. None of these will provide or supply parts/spares to the individual.
Having a more bespoke looking bike that doesn't overtly shout ebike are neat/tidy looking machines in the most part but means electrical maintenance side of things is out of reach to the normal rider.

Those of us who go the diy route and fit our own kits are masters of our bikes and can fault and replace the generic parts.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Ebike Motion X35: Can some one perhaps a bicycle mechanic skilled in electric bikes explain why a Software Upgrade or a replacement PASS SENSOR (pulse sensor) or replacement cassette lock ring fitted with magnets, will prevent the motor from intermittent power cut offs. The bikes motor is faulty and It seems impossible to try and fix such issues without going to a bike shop mechanic skilled and knowledgeable in Ebike motion X35 Mahle motor systems. As a cyclist always used to mending your own bike unless it becomes just to frustrating, suddenly, ebikes take away the DIY aspect of bike maintenance. Can customers perform their own software updates? No. Can customers buy their own leads or use the dealer Mahle application to access the management system? No. Can customers buy the leads dealers have for maintenance? With a lot of difficulty if your lucky……an some one perhaps a bicycle mechanic skilled in electric bikes explain why a Software Upgrade or a replacement PASS SENSOR (pulse sensor) or replacement cassette lock ring fitted with magnets, will prevent the motor from intermittent power cut offs. The bikes motor is faulty and It seems impossible to try and fix such issues without going to a bike shop mechanic skilled and knowledgeable in Ebike motion X35 Mahle motor systems. As a cyclist always used to mending your own bike unless it becomes just to frustrating, suddenly, ebikes take away the DIY aspect of bike maintenance. Can customers perform their own software updates? No. Can customers buy their own leads or use the dealer Mahle application to access the management system? No. Can customers buy the leads dealers have for maintenance? With a lot of difficulty if your lucky……
Intermittent is often something loose, or a less than perfect connection, or a worn away cable. Those things you can check as well as any dealer.

When you are 100% sure there is no more you can do, then really it is a dealer job because it is a very specific, highly integrated system. They are unlikely to send out a new motor because intermittent motor could be a controller issue, for example.

Use warranty if still covered, and even beyond that, expectations of reasonable lifetime, especially with an expensive bike. But all those avenues start with a trip to a dealer.

The diy kit / conversion route is there for those who want a higher level of control.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Intermittent power cut offs are not motor related but either a bad contact with the head display so check any connection and if the display is a removable one clean the head contacts, also some may have a back up button battery so check for this and change battery if need be.
Other wise the issue will likely be battery,PAS or wiring related.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The PAS disc/sensor set up again is a bespoke design used by the x35, one simply can't buy the spares.
One can check that the magnet disc and sensor head are aligned and clean, also check the spacing between the magnets and sensor head are about 1mm.
If the sensor head is an optical one then dirt/grime would prevent a proper signal so make sure it is clean.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Like modern cars that are all computer/pcb controlled only a plug in diagnostic test can show up the issue or pin point the area, the bike dealer won't be able to physically carry out a part repair but simply would have to order a part in, if not held in stock.
One is simply tied in to these dealers and bikes and lots of bikes in the future will be come unusable as they are intended for.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Like modern cars that are all computer/pcb controlled only a plug in diagnostic test can show up the issue or pin point the area, the bike dealer won't be able to physically carry out a part repair but simply would have to order a part in, if not held in stock.
One is simply tied in to these dealers and bikes and lots of bikes in the future will be come unusable as they are intended for.
Such wholesale discarding of entire subsystems is a saddening earth-killing practice and a complete waste of otherwise salvageable electronics which should be outlawed, and I certainly hope it becomes illegal in my lifetime. I look forward to seeing Bosch directors getting jailed for historic crimes against ecology.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Such wholesale discarding of entire subsystems is a saddening earth-killing practice and a complete waste of otherwise salvageable electronics which should be outlawed, and I certainly hope it becomes so in my lifetime. I look forward to seeing Bosch directors getting jailed for historic crimes against ecology.
I'm not quite so down on the closed systems, because the fundamentals remain usable when the bespoke stuff has died, and there is some very good physical engineering in these machines.

The cells in the battery are always fit for the use the manufacturer intends the motor to give them, and they are just a dumb cell block. Give them any BMS, and you have a decent battery. Just not a Shimano/Bosch/Yamaha etc compatible one anymore.

The motor is just a brushless motor (with a rather good and well packaged transmission), and given any decent controller will be a very reasonable ebike motor - just not compatible with etc...

Far better if they don't go wrong, especially just out of warranty, but if a used EP8 or E8000 comes my way I'll be the man from Delmonte.

Reactions: guerney

Esensium300W

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2022
The problem is still on going. Rutland water Cycles Whittwell, UK have offered to take a look, as have Pure Electrics Derby, UK. The bike is presently at another bike shop with a guy who told me and my girl friend he can by pass the Mahle software and hardware system set up. He intends fitting the bike with his own electrical systems and software, bypassing the problematic Mahle ebike motion set up with an alternative. So me and my girl friend are waiting to see what the out come will be. The bike shop owner seemed genuine and confident. I’m a little sceptical and bothered by the longevity of this persons final solution even if it works successfully.

Esensium300W

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2022
Thanks for everyone’s replies to this forum conversion thread .
As an update I learned and the issue is:
“If your bike is out of warranty then there’s no need to take the bike to a dedicated dealer for your own bike. If it’s a motor, electrics (wires and connectors) or software problem, any bike shop with staff knowledgeable in solving and mending your make of motor will take on the job. My girlfriend’s ebike fitted with a Mahle X35 first generation system was repaired by the owner of PoweredBicycles ebike centre, in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire, UK. He, checked to see if the motor operated independently, which it was, examined all the leads then ordered and fitted a new PASS sensor and upgraded the bikes software. That’s solved the problem of intermittent motor cut outs. It cost nearly £300 due mainly to labour costs since it took time to understand and solve the problems. He also told us to keep on using the bike as the battery’s cell loose their efficiency and degrade if not used for prolonged periods of time. The bike had sat around a lot before it was purchased second hand. We were also advised to pay attention to keeping those areas on the bike where the Pass sensor and magnet cassette locking ring are located clean a free of dirt and grime.