Ebike Motors, whats your experience??????? is yours suffering.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How are they getting soggy? Wallace doesn't say how to prevent rising damp, hasn't mentioned cheese either, and where's Gromit? My Bafang BBS01B mid-motor doesn't get rising damp, thanks to good design (and silicone sealant). Perhaps Bosch, Shimano and Yamaha owners wear the wrong trousers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
some motors are better than others but none of them are fully water tight but my motor has a big plastic cover over it when the new ones have next to nothing and smaller motors with smaller bearings so wear out faster.

cant :p have 11 year old bikes still rolling round can you

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A hub motor will outlast any of those .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the gen 2 cx can do 50-60000km b4 it needs a service but the new smart batts wont work with older motors as done on purpose :mad:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There should be AI employed to move some stuff automatically to YouTubeSuperBoring.com.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There should be AI employed to move some stuff automatically to YouTubeSuperBoring.com.
Mention of Wensleydale cheese would have added some level excitement.

the gen 2 cx can do 50-60000km b4 it needs a service but the new smart batts wont work with older motors as done on purpose :mad:
Whoa, best buy some older model batteries while you can, use them all regularly to stop them dying.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
some motors are better than others but none of them are fully water tight but my motor has a big plastic cover over it when the new ones have next to nothing and smaller motors with smaller bearings so wear out faster.

cant :p have 11 year old bikes still rolling round can you
As usual, designed for famously sand duned dry desert Germany. Or California.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we can get the batts recelled but only 1 person in the uk atm and they have to work and charge

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
A hub motor will outlast any of those .
Probably. Shame about the controllers, displays, batteries and wiring though. These seem to fail on a regular basis, at least judging from the number of people joining this forum reporting such faults.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Some of the blown controllers and displays I have seen posted on here are due to water ingress.

Most are due to people wiring them up wrong and then post saying why does my controller and display not work.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not yet had a controller , battery or lcd fail on me but some of those who do admit to leaving the bike in standing rain, one expects any mid drive would suffer the same consequence.
We know mid drives aren't invinsible as Eddie PJ went thru a few but they were always replaced under warranty.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
When people have a Bosch system that failed somehow, they take it to a Bosch dealer to be fixed and don' mention it on any forum. When people have a Chinese bike with a problem, they take it to an ebike shop if they have one nearby, and they refuse to touch it, so they come to forums for help.

I personally know of two forum members, who had relatively expensive OEM ebikes that developed relatively serious and expensive repairs, yet they were always saying how reliable their bikes were and recommending them on that basis to forum members without mentioning the problems they had had. I had to call out one more than once for that.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is the crux of the matter when folks talk up oem mid drive vs hub drive bikes, oem mid drive simply go back to a dealer and faults are rarely aired on open forums so there is a false account of reliability.
This forun started many years ago before todays major players got involved with mid drive, though panasonic were one of the first ones and I think Sunstar ?
In the main the early years were about homebuild and hub motors which aided and helped out so many to get mobile, back then EAPC's users were the early adopters with flecc being at the fore front.
Today we have the mid motor market where some think they are the only drive of any use, yet hub motors out sell them by a large margin still.
The forum still is a huge help and resource for all motor drives, though there is some tongue and cheek remarks regarding both on here .
Without the home build and hub motor advice on this forum it would be pretty much dead in the water.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh I think we have very few good members when it comes to mid motor advice on the forum and info on possible repair venues . SW is knowledgeable and helpful, of course the venerable d8veh and his aliases over the years and Georgehenry with his superb Yamaha bike log.

On the homebuild /hub side of the forum there are a good few of us with repair knowledge of both hub bikes and batteries and have helped out many a rider where simply LBS wash there hands of such things due to their one upmanship and ignorance regarding other bike drives.

One has to remember most folks who ask advice is because they have knowhwere else to turn to when the LBS simply shut the door on them and sneer at them
And the best thing is all advice on here is given freely and costs nothing .

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Not yet had a controller , battery or lcd fail on me but some of those who do admit to leaving the bike in standing rain, one expects any mid drive would suffer the same consequence.
At my place of work there are two people who cycle to work on expensive carbon road bikes. All the gear, Lycra etc. Also another, who lives closer, has a very decent mountain bike.

While at work they leave their bikes outside in the rain.

I pointed out to all three of them, a place where they could park their bikes in the dry. It would take 30 seconds of effort to do that.

Totally not interested, they looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

It must be a generational thing, if there is one thing I learnt as a child, it's that bicycles do not like being left outside in the rain.

Also, these days people get their bikes serviced, pretty much like they do with their cars. Having a bicycle serviced was unheard of when I was a kid.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've left my Bafang BBS01B mid-drive conversion standing in rain on it's kickstand for hours many times while out gardening, I've also cycled in sustained heavy rain for hours and 43 miles, my motor has also survived complete submersion over both pedals for 13 seconds, when a pond appeared in the road after a sudden thunderstorm, and my bike created a bow wave pedalling through with assist - and that's the magic of silicone sealant between mating surfaces of controller and motor, between both sides of the gasket sandwiched in between. I admit it's not a perfect solution, but it certainly works for me. What also works for me, are liberal coverings of connectors and connections with marine 4:1 self adhesive heat-shrink and self-amalgamating rubber tape, and a rain hood for the display. It's electric, why let water in? It's crazy.

We know mid drives aren't invinsible as Eddie PJ went thru a few but they were always replaced under warranty.
As @georgehenry observed, mud keeps moisture in place for longer than mere rain, and I'm not an offroad rider, unless there's no other option.

Probably. Shame about the controllers, displays, batteries and wiring though. These seem to fail on a regular basis, at least judging from the number of people joining this forum reporting such faults.
To be fair, the vast majority of the issues reported with hub motors seem to be soft/firmware misconfigurations, water ingress causing issues, display/controller incompatibilities, sourcing problems, or incompetent cable connector's pushings in etc - not hardware failures.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: guerney

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
OMG, what an annoying sound of motor.
Backpack is probably the worst place for battery.