eBike racing at FOD this weekend, anyone going?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I had a race of sorts myself returning from Sainsburys yesterday. I filtered past a roadie on the approach to a set of lights. At the next set of lights I turned left to climb a quarter ish mile hill before I turn off towards my house.

I had slightly handicapped myself with two Ortlieb panniers containing 4 boxes of Cranbury Juice, 2 cans of Mushroom soup, 2 cans of chicken soup, 4 cans of ambrosia rice pudding, a strawberry and banana smoothie, some cheese, butter and poking out of one pannier a couple of baguettes.

Anyway I became aware of the roadie on my back wheel and decided that I would use the highest assist setting for the first time in about a year and a half, and add as much effort myself as my body would allow. Childish perhaps but fun.

Although I was too busy adding my own effort to notice properly I must have hit around 20 miles an hour and then held it.

The roadie stayed on my back wheel probably eyeing my baguettes. There was a section where I thought he was going to overtake me and a section where I almost broke him when a small gap suddenly started to appear.

He was right behind me when I turned off and I turned and congratulated him on staying with me. He in turn replied that he needed to buy a bike like mine. We had both had fun.

I suddenly realized in the road I had turned into that I was in serious oxygen debt and needed quite a few minutes to recover!

Last edited: